Fitness in Naturally Occurring and Restored Populations of a Grassland Plant Lychnis flos-cuculi in a Swiss Agricultural Landscape
Article first published online: 11 APR 2013
© 2013 Society for Ecological Restoration
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 98–106, January 2014
How to Cite
Aavik, T., Bosshard, D., Edwards, P. J., Holderegger, R. and Billeter, R. (2014), Fitness in Naturally Occurring and Restored Populations of a Grassland Plant Lychnis flos-cuculi in a Swiss Agricultural Landscape. Restoration Ecology, 22: 98–106. doi: 10.1111/rec.12020
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 11 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 OCT 2012
- European Social Fund. Grant Number: grant MJD113
- European Regional Development Fund
- 2012. Genetic consequences of using seed mixtures in restoration: a case study of a wetland plant Lychnis flos-cuculi. Biological Conservation 145:195–204. , , , , and .
- 2013. Patterns of contemporary gene flow suggest low functional connectivity of grasslands in a fragmented agricultural landscape. Journal of Applied Ecology 50:395–403. , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic consequences of habitat fragmentation in plant populations: susceptible signals in plant traits and methodological approaches. Molecular Ecology 17:5177–5188. , , , , and .
- 2011. Meta-analysis on the association of population size and life history with inbreeding depression in plants. Biological Conservation 144:35–43. , , and .
- 2011. Linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes (available from http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/lme4/lme4.pdf). , , and .
- 2006. Seed provenance matters – effects on germination of four plant species used for ecological restoration. Basic and Applied Ecology 7:347–359. , , , and .
- 2004. Equivalence of competitor effects and tradeoff between vegetative multiplication and generative reproduction: case study with Lychnis flos-cuculi and Myosotis nemorosa. Flora 199:157–167. , and .
- 2010. Genetic diversity and its effect on fitness in an endangered plant species, Dracocephalum austriacum L. Conservation Genetics 11:773–783. , , and .
- 2011. Consequences of ex situ cultivation of plants: genetic diversity, fitness and adaptation of the monocarpic Cynoglossum officinale L. in botanic gardens. Biological Conservation 144:272–278. , , and .
- 2003. Effects of habitat fragmentation on biodiversity. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 34:487–515.
- 1995. Inbreeding depression in Lychnis floscu-culi (Caryophyllaceae): effects of different levels of inbreeding. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 8:589–600. , and .
- 2006. Adaptive vs. neutral genetic diversity: implications for landscape genetics. Landscape Ecology 21:797–807. , , and .
- 2012. Species introduction - a major topic in vegetation restoration. Applied Vegetation Science 15:161–165. , , and .
- 2008. Simultaneous inference in general parametric models. Biometrical Journal 50:346–363. , , and .
- 2005. Local forest environment largely affects below-ground growth, clonal diversity and fine-scale spatial genetic structure in the temperate deciduous forest herb Paris quadrifolia. Molecular Ecology 14:4479–4488. , , , , and .
- 2010. Evidence for demographic bottlenecks and limited gene flow leading to low genetic diversity in a rare thistle. Conservation Genetics 11:1979–1987. , , and .
- 1999. Effects of seed provenance on germination of herbs for agricultural compensation sites. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 72:87–99. , and .
- 2004. Rapid genetic delineation of provenance for community restoration. Journal of Applied Ecology 41:1162–1173. , and .
- 2011. Effects of mowing date on the opportunities of seed dispersal of ditch bank plant species under different management regimes. Journal of Nature Conservation 19:166–174. , , and .
- 2005. “How local is local?” – A review of practical and conceptual issues in the genetics of restoration. Restoration Ecology 13:432–440. , , , and .
- 2006. The effects of plant density upon pollination success, reproductive effort and fruit parasitism in Cistus ladanifer L. (Cistaceae). Plant Ecology 185:41–47. , and .
- R Core Development Team. 2011. nlme: linear and nonlinear mixed effects models (available from http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/nlme//index.html). , , , , and
- 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing (available from http://www.r-project.org). .
- 2003. Correlation between fitness and genetic diversity. Conservation Biology 17:230–237. , and .
- 2011. Morphology and phenology of Scabiosa columbaria from mown and grazed habitats – results of a simulation experiment. Flora 206:887–891. , and .
- 2004. Environmental and genetic effects on flowering differences between northern and southern populations of Arabidopsis lyrata (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 91:1036–1045. , and .
- 2010. Recreating semi-natural grasslands: a comparison of four methods. Ecological Engineering 36:1672–1679. , , , , and .
- 2001. The conservation of wild plant species in seed banks. BioScience 51:960–966. , and .
- 2013. Genetic delineation of local provenance in Persoonia longifolia: implication for seed sourcing for ecological restoration. Restoration Ecology, 21:49–57. , and .
- 2010. A question of origin: where and how to collect seed for ecological restoration. Basic and Applied Ecology 11:300–311. , , and .
- 2008. Height convergence in response to neighbour growth: genotypic differences in the stoloniferous plant Potentilla reptans. New Phytologist 177:688–697. , , , , and .
- 2011. The future of agri-environment schemes: biodiversity gains and ecosystem service delivery? Journal of Applied Ecology 48:509–513.