Establishing Cool-Season Grasses on a Degraded Arid Rangeland of the Colorado Plateau
Article first published online: 22 MAY 2013
© 2013 Society for Ecological Restoration
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 57–64, January 2014
How to Cite
Bernstein, E. J., Albano, C. M., Sisk, T. D., Crews, T. E. and Rosenstock, S. (2014), Establishing Cool-Season Grasses on a Degraded Arid Rangeland of the Colorado Plateau. Restoration Ecology, 22: 57–64. doi: 10.1111/rec.12023
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 22 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 7 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 OCT 2012
- Doris Duke Conservation Fellows Program
- The Grand Canyon Trust
- 1995. Restoration ecology: limits and possibilities in arid and semiarid lands. Pages 7–15 in B. A. Roundy, E. McArthur, H. Durant, S. Jennifer and D. K. Mann, editors. Wildland shrub and arid land restoration symposium. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station, Ogden, Utah.
- 2003. Contingency of grassland restoration on year, site, and competition from introduced grasses. Ecological Applications 13:137–153. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Native plant regeneration on abandoned desert farmland: effects of irrigation, soil preparation, and amendments on seedling establishment. Restoration Ecology 14:339–348. , , and .
- 1995. Natural methods of establishing native plants on arid rangelands. Pages 44–45 in B. A. Roundy, E. McArthur, H. Durant, S. Jennifer and D. K. Mann, editors. Wildland shrub and arid land restoration symposium. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station, Ogden, Utah. , and .
- 1975. The prehistoric and historic role of the cool-season grasses in the southwest. Economic Botany 29:199–207.
- 1998. U.S. land and natural resources policy: a public issues handbook. Greenwood Press, Westport, Connecticut.
- 2007. Investigation of the summer climate of the contiguous U.S. and Mexico using the regional atmospheric modeling system (RAMS). Part II: model climate variability. Journal of Climate 20:3866–3887. , , , , and .
- 1993. Non-parametric multivariate analyses of changes in community structure. Australian Journal of Ecology 18:117–143.
- 2002. Livestock grazing, rest, and restoration in arid landscapes. Conservation Biology 16:840–842.
- 2005. Gardeners of Eden: rediscovering our importance to nature. Thatcher Charitable Trust, Santa Barbara, California.
- 2006. The politics of grazing on federal lands: a policy change perspective. In J. G. Speth and R. Repetto, editors. Punctuated equilibrium and the dynamics of U.S. Environmental Policy. Yale University Press, New Haven, Connecticut.
- 1999. The western range revisited: removing livestock from public lands to conserve native biodiversity. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman.
- 1986. Relation between ecological-range condition and proportion of soil-surface types. Journal of Range Management 39:409–414. , , and .
- 2004. Pages 167. Assessment of grassland ecosystem conditions in the Southwestern United States. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- 1994. The ecological costs of livestock grazing in Western North America. Conservation Biology 8:629–644.
- 2006. Ecological restoration and global climate change. Restoration Ecology 14: 170–176. , , , and .
- 2003. Plant ecotypes: genetic differentiation in the age of ecological restoration. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:147–155. , and .
- 1998. Revegetating weed-infested rangelands: what we've learned. Rangelands 20:10–15. , , and .
- 2008. Is exotic plant invasion enhanced by a traditional wildlife habitat management technique? Journal of Arid Environments 72:1911–1917. , and .
- 1992. High seed retention of Indian ricegrass. Journal of Range Management 45:72–74. , and .
- 1972. Recovery of depleted range sites under protection from grazing. Journal of Range Management 25:178–185. , and .
- 2006. Pages 132. Responses of plant communities to grazing in the Southwestern United States. USDA Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- 1994. A conceptual model of arid rangeland degradation: the escalating cost of declining productivity. Bioscience 44:70–76. , , , and .
- 2004. Pages 294 Restoring western rangelands. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Fort Collins, Colorado. , , , and .
- 2011. On the brink of change: plant responses to climate on the Colorado Plateau. Ecosphere 2 Article 68. , , , , and .
- NRCS (National Resource Conservation Service). 2012. Ecological site description (available from http://esis.sc.egov.usda.gov/ESDReport/fsReport.aspx?id=R035XB233AZ&rptLevel=communities&approved=yes).
- NRCS (Natural Resource Conservation Service). 2007. Custom soil resource report for Coconino County area, Arizona, North Kaibab Part (available from http://soils.usda.gov/survey/printed_surveys/state.asp?state=Arizona&abbr=AZ).
- 2005. Multi-decadal impacts of grazing on soil physical and biogeochemical properties in Southeast Utah. Ecological Applications 15:87–95. , , , and .
- 1996. Applied linear statistical models. 4th edition. McGraw-Hill, New York. , , , and .
- 1997. Ecological theory and community restoration ecology. Restoration Ecology 5:291–300. , , and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37:637–669.
- 2006. Technologies for management of arid rangelands: annual Report. USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Las Cruces, New Mexico. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1985. Recovery of soils and vegetation in World War II military base camps, Mojave Desert. US Geological Survey. Open File Report 114:85–234. , and .
- 1985. The roll away saloon: cowboy tales of the Arizona Strip. Utah State University Press, Logan. , and .
- 1996. Pages 97 An assessment of exotic plant species of Rocky Mountain National Park. Department of Rangeland Ecosystem Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins. , and .
- 1988. Plant migration: the dynamics of geographic patterning in seed plant species. University of California Press, Berkeley.
- 2007. Model projections of an imminent transition to a more arid climate in Southwestern North America. Science 316:1181–1184. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. How grazing and soil quality affect native and exotic plant diversity in rocky mountain grasslands. Ecological Applications 9:45–64. , , and .
- U.S. General Accounting Office. 1988. Rangeland management: More emphasis needed on declining and overstocked grazing allotments. GAO/RCED-88-80. U.S. General Accounting Office, Washington, D.C.
- 2002. Timescale of perennial grass recovery in desertified arid grasslands following livestock removal. Ecological Applications 9:45–64. , , , and .
- 1993. Seed banks as a neglected area of biogeographical research: a review of literature and sampling techniques. Progress in Physical Geography 17:329–347. , , and .
- Western Regional Climate Center. 2008. SOI vs. precipitation relationships (Scatterplots), & SOI time series, Arizona statewide. Western Regional Climate Center (available from http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/enso/enso.html).
- Western Regional Climate Center. 2008. Arizona statewide precipitation (available from http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/enso/octmar02.gif).
- 2002. Quadratic variation in old-field species richness along experimental gradients of disturbance and nitrogen. Ecology 83:492–504. , and .
- 1991. Effects of cattle trampling and mechanical seedbed preparation on grass seedling emergence. Journal of Range Management 44:176–180. , and .