Cascading Ecological Responses to an In-Stream Restoration Project in a Midwestern River
Article first published online: 28 MAY 2013
© 2013 Society for Ecological Restoration
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 72–80, January 2014
How to Cite
Heinrich, K. K., Whiles, M. R. and Roy, C. (2014), Cascading Ecological Responses to an In-Stream Restoration Project in a Midwestern River. Restoration Ecology, 22: 72–80. doi: 10.1111/rec.12026
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 28 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 APR 2012
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources through a USFWS State Wildlife Grant
- 1999. Rapid bioassessment protocols for use in streams and wadeable rivers: periphyton, benthic macroinvertebrates and fish, Second Edition. EPA 841-B-99-002. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water, Washington, D.C. , , , and .
- 2005. Tangled webs: reciprocal flows of invertebrate prey link streams and riparian zones. Freshwater Biology 50:201–220. , , and .
- 1984. Invertebrate productivity in a subtropical blackwater river: the importance of habitat and life history. Ecological Monographs 54:25–63. , , , and .
- 2005. Synthesizing US river restoration efforts. Science 308:636–637. , , , , , , et al.
- 1964. The food habits of the Red-winged Blackbird, Agelaius phoeniceus, in Manitoba. Canadian Field Naturalist 78:179–186. , and .
- 2004. Avian habitat evaluation: should counting birds count? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2:403–410. , and .
- 2004. Inter-population dispersal by adult stoneflies detected by stable isotope enrichment. Freshwater Biology 49:425–431. , , , and .
- 1983. Have cowbirds caused forest songbirds to decline? Bioscience 33:31–35. , and .
- 1996. Vegetation around parasitized and non-parasitized nests within deciduous forest. Journal of Field Ornithology 67:406–413. , and .
- 2006. Development of a bird integrity index: measuring avian response to disturbance in the Blue Mountains of Oregon, USA. Environmental Management 38:470–486.
- 2002. Development of a bird integrity index: using bird assemblages as indicators of riparian condition. Environmental Management 30:294–310. , , and .
- 2008. The linkage between riparian predators and aquatic insects across a stream-resource spectrum. Freshwater Biology 53:330–346. , and .
- 2006. PRIMER v6: user manual/tutorial. PRIMER-E, Plymouth, United Kingdom. , and .
- 1991. Channel stabilizing structures for the upper Cache River. Illinois State Water Survey Contract Report 511. , and .
- 1986. Modified milk carton nest box for studies of prothonotary warblers. Journal of Field Ornithology 57:313–315. , and .
- 2007. Evaluating habitat restoration at O'dell Creek using bird communities: 2006 report. Final report submitted to PPL-Montana. , , and .
- 2005. Macroinvertebrate and zooplankton responses to water-level management and moist-soil plant production in upper Mississippi River backwater wetlands. Archiv für Hydrobiologie 162:187–210. , , , and .
- 1993. Response of insectivorous birds to emerging aquatic insects in riparian habitats of a tallgrass prairie stream. American Midland Naturalist 129:288–300.
- 2006. PRESENCE2-Software to estimate patch occupancy and related parameters. USGS-PWRC (available from http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/software/presence.html).
- 2003. Multiple effects of brood parasitism reduce the reproductive success of prothonotary warblers, Protonotaria citrea. Animal Behaviour 65:923–934.
- 2006. Water depth influences nest predation for a wetland-dependent bird in fragmented bottomland forests. Biological Conservation 127:37–45.
- 2006. Brood parasitism increases provisioning rate, and reduces offspring recruitment and adult return rates, in a cowbird host. Oecologia 149:165–173. , and .
- 2007. Retaliatory mafia behavior by a parasitic cowbird favors host acceptance of parasitic eggs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:4479–4483. , and .
- IDNR (Illinois Department of Natural Resources). 1997. Cache river area assessment. Vol. 1, Part 1: Hydrology, Air Quality, and Climate. IDNR, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Springfield, Illinois.
- 2003. Stream meanders increase insectivorous bird abundance in riparian deciduous forests. Ecography 26:325–337. , , and .
- 1989. Distribution and abundance of adult aquatic insects in the forest adjacent to a northern California stream. Environmental Entomology 18:278–283. , and .
- 1997. Structure and diversity of stream invertebrate assemblages: the influence of temperature with altitude and latitude. Freshwater Biology 38:247–261. , , and .
- 1996. Inland dispersal of adult aquatic insects. Freshwater Biology 36:265–276. , , and .
- 1977. Optimal prey selection in the Great Tit (Parus major). Animal Behaviour 25:30–38. , , , , and .
- 2010. Riparian bird communities as indicators of human impacts along Mediterranean streams. Environmental Management 45:261–273. , , and .
- 1966. On optimal use of a patchy environment. American Naturalist 100:603–609. , and .
- 1977. Strategies for coexistence in three species of net-spinning caddisflies (Trichoptera) in second-order southern Appalachian streams. Canadian Journal of Zoology 55:1829–1840. , and .
- 1975. Suggestions for calculating nest success. The Wilson Bulletin 87:456–466.
- 2002. Analysis of ecological communities. MjM Software Design, Gleneden Beach, Oregon. , and .
- 2008. An introduction to the aquatic insects of North America. 4th edition. Kendall/Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa. , , and , editors.
- 1997. An evaluation of the relative robustness of techniques for ecological ordination. Vegetatio 69:89–107.
- 1984. Aquatic insect-substratum relationships. Pages 358–400 in V. H. Resh and D. M. Rosenberg, editors. The ecology of aquatic insects. Praeger, New York.
- 2002. Indirect effects of aquatic insect emergence on a terrestrial insect population through by birds predation. Ecology Letters 5:333–337. , and .
- 1993. Exploration and rehabilitation of hydraulic habitats in streams using principles of fluvial behavior. Freshwater Biology 29:195–210. , and .
- 2006. Hydroecology and river restoration: ripe for research and synthesis. Water Resources Research 42:W03S07. , and .
- Poole, A.. 2005. The Birds of North America Online. Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY (available from http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA/).
- 1979. Feeding ecology and development of juvenile Black Ducks in Maine. Auk 96:737–745.
- 1977. Length-weight relationships of shrub-steppe invertebrates. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 70:51–53. , , and .
- 2005. Restoration success: how is it being measured? Restoration Ecology 13:569–577. , and .
- 2002. Numerical response of lizards to aquatic insects and short-term consequences for terrestrial prey. Ecology 83:3023–3036. , and .
- 2002. Length-mass relationships for adult aquatic and terrestrial invertebrates in a California watershed. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 21:336–343. , , and .
- 1993. Estimation of insect biomass by length and width. American Midland Naturalist 129:234–240. , , , and .
- 1998. Emergence of aquatic insects from 2 habitats in a small wetland of the southeastern USA: temporal patterns of numbers and biomass. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 17:37–53. , , and .
- 1995. Influence of log additions on physical and biotic characteristics of a mountain stream. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 52:2120–2137. , , and .
- 2008. Macroinvertebrate responses to constructed riffles in the Cache River, Illinois, USA. Environmental Management 41:516–527. , and .
- 1995. Detectability of forest birds from stationary points in northern Wisconsin. Pages 19–32 in C. J. Ralph, J. R. Sauer and S. Droege, editors. Monitoring bird populations by point counts USDA Forest Service General Technical Report PSW-GTR-149, Albany, California. , , and .