Microtopography and the Properties of Residual Peat Are Convenient Indicators for Restoration Planning of Abandoned Extracted Peatlands
Article first published online: 31 MAY 2013
© 2013 Society for Ecological Restoration
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 31–39, January 2014
How to Cite
Triisberg, T., Karofeld, E., Liira, J., Orru, M., Ramst, R. and Paal, J. (2014), Microtopography and the Properties of Residual Peat Are Convenient Indicators for Restoration Planning of Abandoned Extracted Peatlands. Restoration Ecology, 22: 31–39. doi: 10.1111/rec.12030
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 26 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUN 2012
- Estonian Environmental Foundation. Grant Number: K-13-4-2005/443. 01.006.05
- Target-financed projects. Grant Numbers: SF0180012s09, SF0180025s12
- Estonian Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: 7878, 8060
- EU Regional Development Fund
- 2004. Beyond ecological filters: feedback networks in the assembly and restoration of community structure. Pages 115–131 in V. M. Temperton, R. J. Hobbes, T. Nuttle and S. Halle, editors. Assembly rules and restoration ecology: bridging the gap between theory and practice. Society for Ecological Restoration International, Washington, D.C..
- 2000. The natural revegetation of a vacuum-mined peatland: eight years of monitoring. The Canadian Field-Naturalist 114:279–286. , and .
- 1998. Restoration of post-mined peatlands: effect of vascular pioneer species on Sphagnum establishment. Pages 39–43 in T. Malterer, K. Johnson and J. Stewart. Proceedings of the International Peat Conference Peatland Restoration and Reclamation, Duluth, Minnesota, July 14–18, 1998. International Peat Society, Jyväskylä, Finland. , and .
- 2012. Die Bedeutung von Birken im Hochmoor. TELMA 44:137–146.
- 2002. Wind erosion and surface stability in abandoned milled peatlands. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 82:85–95. , , and .
- 2003. Determining the immigration potential of plants colonizing disturbed environments: the case of milled peatlands in Quebec. Journal of Applied Ecology 40:78–91. , , and .
- 2010. Strategy for Responsible Peatland Management. International Peat Society, Finland. , and , editors.
- 1997. Species assemblages and indicator species: the need for a flexible asymmetrical approach. Ecological Monographs 67:345–366. , and .
- 2000. La regeneration naturelle d'écosystèmes fortement perturbés: le cas d'une tourbière exploitée du Bas-Saint-laurent (Québec). M.A. thesis, Université Laval, Sainte-Foy, Québec, Canada.
- 2008. Spontaneous revegetation of cutaway peatlands of North America. Wetlands 28:28–39. , , and .
- 2002. Nursing plants in peatland restoration: on their potential use to alleviate frost heaving problems. Suo (Mires and Peat) 53(3-4):73–85. , and .
- 1995. The impact of disturbance on mire hydrology. Pages 401–417 in J. M. R. Hughes and A. L. Heathwaite, editors. Hydrology and hydrochemistry of British Wetlands. Wiley, Chichester.
- 2006. An annotated checklist of the mosses of Europe and Macaronesia. Journal of Bryology 28:198–267. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Genesis and development of mires. Pages 293–298 in A. Raukas and A. Teedumäe, editors. Geology and mineral resources of Estonia. Estonian Academy Publishers, Tallinn, Estonia.
- 2008. The IMCG Global Peatland Database on the Web http://www.imcg.net/gpd/gpd.htm. Assessed 26 February 2011.
- 2010. Services and functions. Pages 301–329 in P. A. Keddy, editor. Wetland ecology: principles and conservation. University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- 2010. Spontaneous succession of vegetation in mined peatlands: a multi-site study. Preslia 82:423–435. , and .
- 1996. Forest drainage and the greenhouse effect. Pages 159–164 in H. Vasander, editor. Peatlands in Finland. Finnish Peatland Society, Helsinki, Finland. , and .
- 1999. The spread of gray birch (Betula populifolia Marsh.) in eastern Quebec: landscape and historical considerations. Canadian Journal of Botany 77:857–868. , and .
- 2003. Spontaneous revegetation of mined peatlands: an useful restoration tool? Wetlands Ecology and Management 11:97–197. , , , and .
- 2005. Vegetation dynamics on an abandoned vacuum-mined peatland: five years of monitoring. Wetlands Ecology and Management 13:621–633. , , and .
- 1999. PC-ORD. Multivariate Analysis of Ecological Data, Version 4. MjM Software Design, Gleneden Beach, Oregon. , and .
- 2010. Re-vegetation of abandoned peat production fields in Estonia and environmental conditions affecting the process. Pages 105–118 in M. Orru. Dependence of estonian peat deposits properties on landscape types and feeding conditions. Dissertation. Tallinn University of Technology, Tallinn.
- 2011. Estonian mires: inventory of habitats. Publication of the Project “Estonian Mires Inventory completion for maintaining biodiversity.” Regio, Tartu. , and .
- 1995. Utilization of peatlands. Pages 15–30 in H. Vasander, editor. Peatland forestry. Springer, Germany. , and .
- 2005. Spontaneous revegetation of mined peatlands eastern Canada. Canadian Journal of Botany 83:539–557. , , , and .
- 2003. Hydrological processes in abandoned and restored peatlands: an overview of management approaches. Wetlands Ecology and Management 11:65–83. , , and .
- 2003. Peatland restoration guide. 2nd edition. Department of Natural Resources and Energy, Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Association, New Brunswick, New Jersey. , and .
- 1999. Second checklist of lichenized, lichenicolous and allied fungi of Estonia. Folia Cryptogamica Estonica 25:1–132. , and , editors.
- 2006. The biology of peatlands. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1987. Relationship between the seed rain and the establishment of vegetation in two areas abandoned after peat harvesting. Holarctic Ecology 10:171–174.
- 1990. Early plant succession in two abandoned cut-over peatland areas. Holarctic Ecology 13:217–223.
- 1994. Revegetation of harvested peat surfaces in relation to substrate quality. Journal of Vegetation Science 5:403–408.
- 1999. Species diversity, niche metrics and species associations in harvested and undisturbed bogs. Journal of Vegetation Science 10:549–560. , , and .
- StatSoft Inc 2004: STATISTICA (data analysis software system), Version 7 (available from www.statsoft.com).
- 2001. Landschaftsökologische Moorkunde. E. Schweizerbart'sche Verlagsbuchhandlung (Nägele u. Obermiller), Stuttgart. , and
- 2011. Re-vegetation of block-cut and milled peatlands: an Estonian example. Mires and Peat 8:1–14. , , and .
- 2000. Vegetation patterns around Eriophorum vaginatum L. tussocks in a cut-away peatland in southern Finland. Canadian Journal of Botany 78:47–58. , , , and .
- 1964–1980. Flora Europaea. Vol 1–5. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom. , , , , , , and , editors.
- 1995. Restoration of damaged peatlands. HMSO, London. , and .