USDA Conservation Practices Increase Carbon Storage and Water Quality Improvement Functions: An Example from Ohio
Article first published online: 10 JUN 2013
© 2013 Society for Ecological Restoration
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 117–124, January 2014
How to Cite
Marton, J. M., Fennessy, M. S. and Craft, C. B. (2014), USDA Conservation Practices Increase Carbon Storage and Water Quality Improvement Functions: An Example from Ohio. Restoration Ecology, 22: 117–124. doi: 10.1111/rec.12033
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 10 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 NOV 2012
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service Conservation Effects Assessment Program
- 1999. Phosphate removal capacity of palustrine forested wetlands and adjacent uplands in Virginia. Soil Science Society of America Journal 63:1019–1031. , and .
- 1971. A phosphate sorption index for soils. Journal of Soil Science 22:289–301. , and .
- 2009. Fifty-five years of soil development in restored freshwater depressional wetlands. Ecological Applications 19:1467–1480. , and .
- 1986. Bulk density. Pages 363–375 in A. Klute, editor. Methods of soil analysis. Part 1. Physical and mineralogical methods. Agronomy Monograph No. 9. 2nd edition. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wisconsin. , and .
- 2001. Phosphorus sorption dynamics in soils and coupling with surface and pore water in riverine wetlands. Soil Science Society of America Journal 65:577–588. , , , and .
- 2006. The carbon balance of North American wetlands. Wetlands 26:889–916. , , , , and .
- 1993. A hydrogeomorphic classification for wetlands. Wetlands Research Technical Report WRP-DE-4, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Waterways Experiment Station, Vicksburg, Mississippi. .
- 2006. An assessment of the phosphorus retention capacity of wetlands in the Painter Creek watershed, Minnesota, USA. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 171:169–184. , and .
- 2003. Effects of agriculture and wetland restoration on hydrology, soils, and water quality of a Carolina bay complex. Wetlands Ecology and Management 11:141–156. , , and .
- 1998. Nonpoint pollution of surface waters with phosphorus and nitrogen. Ecological Applications 8:559–568. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Restoration of wetlands from abandoned rice fields for nutrient removal, and biological community and landscape diversity. Restoration Ecology 9:201–208. , , , and .
- 2000. Status and trends of wetlands in the conterminous United States 1986 to 1997. U.S. Department of the Interior; Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: 82. .
- 2011. Status and trends of wetlands in the conterminous United States 2004 to 2009. U.S. Department of the Interior; Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: 110. .
- 2011. Wetland ecosystem services in California's Central Valley and implications for the Wetland Reserve Program. Ecological Applications 21:18–30. , and .
- 2009. Wetlands and global climate change: the role of wetland restoration in a changing world. Wetlands Ecology and Management 17:71–84.
- 2006. North American prairie wetlands are important nonforested land-based carbon storage sites. Science of the Total Environment 361:179–188. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Effects of conservation practices on wetland ecosystem services in the Mississippi Alluvial Valley. Ecological Applications 21:S31–S48. , , , and .
- 2011. Agricultural conservation practices increase wetland ecosystem services in the Glaciated Interior Plains. Ecological Applications 21:S49–S64. , and .
- 2008. Patterns of plant decomposition and nutrient cycling in natural and created wetlands. Wetlands 28:300–310. , , and .
- 1986. Particle-size analysis. Pages 383–411 in A. Klute, editor. Methods of soil analysis. Part 1. Physical and mineralogical methods. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wisconsin. , and .
- 2010. Denitrification potential, root biomass, and organic matter in degraded and restored urban riparian zones. Restoration Ecology 18:113–120. , , , and .
- 2008. Ecosystem services derived from wetland conservation practices in the United States Prairie Pothole Region with an emphasis on the U.S. Department of Agriculture Conservation Reserve and Wetlands Reserve Programs. U.S. Geological Professional Paper 1745, p. 58. , , and .
- 2011. USDA conservation program and practice effects on wetland ecosystem services in the Prairie Pothole Region. Ecological Applications 21:S65–S81. , , , , and .
- 1999. Fluxes and sources of nutrients in the Mississippi-Atchafalaya Basin: Topic 3 Report for the Integrated Assessment on Hypoxia in the Gulf of Mexico. NOAA Coastal Ocean Program Decision Analysis Series Number 17. NOAA Coastal Ocean Office, Silver Spring, Maryland. , , , , , , , and .
- 1994. Denitrification in riparian wetlands receiving high and low groundwater nitrate inputs. Journal of Environmental Quality 23:917–922. , , and .
- 1984. Carbon and nitrogen determinations of carbonate-containing solids. Limnology and Oceanography 29:657–663. , and .
- 2007. Denitrification in created riverine wetlands: influence of hydrology and season. Ecological Engineering 30:78–88. , and .
- 2004. Phosphorus retention and soil organic carbon in restored and natural freshwater wetlands. Wetlands 24:573–585. , , and .
- 2006. Use of created wetlands to improve water quality in the Midwest-Lake Bloomington case study. Ecological Engineering 28:258–270. , , , and .
- 1996. Phosphorus. Pages 869–919 in D. Sparks, editor. Methods of soil analysis. Part 3. Chemical methods. Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisconsin.
- 2007. Effects of restoration and reflooding on soil denitrification in a leveed Midwestern floodplain. Ecological Applications 17:2365–2376. , , , and .
- 1998. Agricultural nitrogen management to protect water quality. Bulletin 4. USDA-CREES-IDEA, Washington, D.C. , , , and .
- 2011. Influence of hydrological connectivity of riverine wetlands on nitrogen removal via denitrification. Biogeochemistry 103:335–354. , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Soil pH and soil acidity. Pages 475–490 in D. Sparks, editor. Methods of soil analysis. Part 3. Chemical methods. Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisconsin.
- 1994. Denitrifier enzyme activity. Pages 256–257 in R. Weaver, S. Angle, and P. Bottomley, editors. Methods of soil analysis. Part 2. Microbiological and biochemical properties. Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wisconsin.
- 2001. Forecasting agriculturally drive global environmental change. Science 292:281–84. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Denitrification potential of different land-use types in an agricultural watershed, lower Mississippi valley. Ecological Engineering 28:131–140. , and .
- 2000. Ability of restored wetlands to reduce nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations in agricultural drainage water. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 55:303–309.
- 2003. Wetlands at your service: reducing impacts of agriculture at the watershed scale. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 1:65–72.