Effects of Top-Soil Preparation and Broad-Leaved Tree Mixture on Carabid Beetles in Afforested Fallow Plots
Article first published online: 27 JUN 2013
© 2013 Society for Ecological Restoration
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 13–21, January 2014
How to Cite
Skłodowski, J. J. (2014), Effects of Top-Soil Preparation and Broad-Leaved Tree Mixture on Carabid Beetles in Afforested Fallow Plots. Restoration Ecology, 22: 13–21. doi: 10.1111/rec.12034
- Issue published online: 2 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 27 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 OCT 2012
- 2010. Evaluating ecosystem services of afforestation on erosion-prone land: a case study in the Manawatu Catchment, New Zealand. D.A. Swayne, W. Yang, A. A. Voinov, A. Rizzoli, and T. Filatova, editors. International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software Modelling for Environment's Sake, Fifth Biennial Meeting, Ottawa, Canada. , and .
- 2006. Advances in ecological research. Litter decomposition: a guide to carbon and nutrient turnover. 421 pp. Vol. 38. Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego, California. , and .
- 1992. Effect of mixed-species tree planting on the distribution of soil invertebrates. Pages 255–265 in M.G.R. Cannel, D.C. Malcolm, and P.A. Robertson, editors. The ecology of mixed species stands of trees. Blackwell Scientific Publications, London, United Kingdom. and .
- 1995. Carabid beetle communities as indicators of conservation potential in upland forests. Forest Ecology and Management 79:63–77. , , , and .
- 1998. A comparison of plant and carabid communities in an Irish oak woodland with a nearby conifer plantation and clearfelled site. Forest Ecology and Management 110:263–273. , and .
- Forestry 2006. Information and statistical papers. Leśnictwo 2006 (Forestry 2006)—Główny Urząd Statystyczny, Warszawa 2006.
- 2008. Forest management effects on carabid beetle communities in coniferous and broadleaved forests: implications for conservation. Insect Conservation and Diversity 1:242–252. , , and .
- 2000. The effects of agricultural practices on Carabidae in temperate agroecosystems. Integrated Pest Management Reviews 5:109–129. , and .
- 2003. The spatial and temporal pattern of carabid beetles on arable fields in northern Germany (Schleswig-Holstein) and their value as ecological indicators. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 98:141–151.
- 1989. Mass vs. length relationship for carabid beetles (Col. Carabidae). Pedobiologia 33:87–90.
- 1998. Field afforestation preferences: a case study in northeastern Finland. Landscape and Urban Planning 43:79–90. , and .
- 2001. Carabid beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae) in boreal managed forests—meso-scale ecological patterns in relation to modern forestry. Ph.D. thesis. University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland.
- 2011. Useful model organisms, indicators, or both? Ground beetles (Coloptera, Carabidae) reflecting environmental conditions. ZooKeys 100:287–317.
- 2003. Gap felling as a forest harvesting method in boreal forests: responses of carabid beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae). Ecography 26:179–187. , and .
- 1999. Leaf letter and the mall-scale distribution of carabid beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae) in the boreal forest. Ecography 22:424–435. , , , and .
- 1999. Ecological methodology. 2nd edition. Addison Wesley Longman, Menlo Park, California.
- 1999. Carabid beetles in sustainable agriculture: a review on pest control efficacy, cultivation impacts and enhancement. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 74:187–228.
- 2001. Effects of forestry practices on carabids (Coleoptera: Carabidae)—implication for nature management. Acta Phytopathologica et Entomologica Hungarica 36:179–188. , , and .
- 2003. Diversity and composition of carabids during a forestry cycle. Biodiversity and Conservation 12:73–85. , , and .
- 1994. Distribution of forest dwelling carabids (Coleoptera): spatial scale and the concept of communities. Ecography 17:166–175. , and .
- 1996. The importance of small-scale heterogeneity in boreal forests: variation in diversity in forest-floor invertebrates across the succession gradient. Ecography 19:352–368. , , and .
- 2007. Ecosystem carbon accumulation following fallow farmland afforestation with red pine in southern Quebec. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 37:1118–1133. , , , and .
- 1984. pH-preferences and habitat selection in carabid beetles. Oecologia 64:41–46. , and .
- Polish State Forest Policy. 1997. General Directorate of Polish State Forest (1997).
- 2002. The influence of cropping rotations and soil cultivation practice on the population ecology of carabids (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in arable land. Pedobiologia 46:452–474. , and .
- 2008. Model of the rate of succession of epigeic carabid beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae) on degraded areas. Instytut Badawczy Lesnictwa, Sękocin Stary, Poland.
- 2007. Successional patterns of carabid fauna (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in planted and natural regenerated pine forests growing on old arable land. Baltic Journal of Coleopterology 7:1–16. , and .
- 2009. Distribution and spatial preferences of carabid species (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in a forest-field landscape in Poland. Baltic Journal of Coleopterology 9:5–15. , and .
- 2006. Anthropogenic transformation of ground beetle assemblages (Coloptera: Carabidae) in Białowieża Forest, Poland: from primeval forests to managed woodlands of various ages. Entomologica Fennica 17:296–314.
- StatSoft Inc. 2011. STATISTICA (Data Analysis Software System), Version 10. StatSoft Inc, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- 1983. The process of forest soil macrofauna formation after afforestation of farmland. Warsaw Agricultural University Press, Warszawa, Poland. , , and .
- 1983. State of Carabidae (Col.) fauna in fresh pine forest and tentative valorisation of this environment. Warsaw Agricultural University Press, Warszawa, Poland.
- 2004. Diverging incentives for afforestation from carbon sequestration: an economic analysis of the EU afforestation program in the south of Italy. Forest Policy and Economics 6:567–578. , , and .
- 2003. Multivariate analysis of ecological data using CANOCO. Cambridge University Press, New York, New York. and .
- 1977. Carabid beetles in their environments: a study on habitat selection by adaptations in physiology and behaviour. Springer, Berlin, Germany.
- 2000. De nedrelandse loopkevers. Verspreiding en oecologie (Coloptera: Carabidae). Nationaal Natuurhistorich Museum Naturalis KNNV Uitgeverij pp. 662.