The author would like to thank Susan Silbey and the participants of the Law & Society Conference, 2012 and MIT SASE Conference, 2012 for their helpful comments and suggestions. All errors remain the sole responsibility of the author.
Regulation and Governance Forum
Cross-national variations in industry regulation: A factor analytic approach with an application to telecommunications
Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Author. Regulation & Governance published by Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Regulation & Governance
Special Issue: Transnational Business Governance Interactions
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 149–163, March 2014
How to Cite
Perkins, S. (2014), Cross-national variations in industry regulation: A factor analytic approach with an application to telecommunications. Regulation & Governance, 8: 149–163. doi: 10.1111/rego.12039
- Issue online: 3 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 SEP 2013
- 2006) Europeans outside the EU: Telecommunications and Electricity Reform in Norway and Switzerland. Governance 19, 407–436. (
- 2011) The Organizational Behavior of Telecom and Broadcasting Regulatory Agencies: The Case of Small European States, Paper presented at the 2011 Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, 1–4 Sept, Seattle, WA. , , (
- 1957) Personality and Motivation Structure and Measurement. World Book Co, New York. (
- 1966) The Scree Test for the Number of Factors. Multivariate Behavioral Analysis 1, 245–276. (
- 1959) The Federal Communications Commission. Journal of Law & Economics 2, 1–40. (
- 1968) Why Regulate Utilities? Journal of Law & Economics 11, 55–65. (
- Espicom Business Intelligence (1999) National Regulatory Authorities Worldwide. Espicom Business Intelligence, Chichester, UK.
- 2008) Delegation in the Regulatory State: Independent Regulatory Agencies in Western Europe. Edward Elgar, Northampton, MA. (
- 2005) The Worldwide Diffusion of Market-oriented Infrastructure Reform, 1977–1999. American Sociological Review 70, 871–897. , , (
- 2011) Governing the Gap: Forging Safe Science through Relational Regulation. Regulation & Governance 5, 14–42. , (
- 2006) Globalization, the European Union, and Domestic Governance in Telecoms and Electricity. Governance 19, 383–406. , (
- ITU (International Telecommunication Union) (1999) Trends in Telecommunication Reform: Convergence and Regulation. ITU Publications, Geneva.
- 2005) The Diffusion of Regulatory Capitalism in Latin America: Sectoral and National Channels in the Making of a New Order. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 598, 102–124. , (
- 2011) The Global Diffusion of Regulatory Agencies: Channels of Transfer and Stages of Diffusion. Comparative Political Studies 44, 1343–1369. , , (
- 2006) The Limits of Europeanization: Regulatory Reforms in the Spanish and Portuguese Telecommunications and Electricity Sectors. Governance 19, 437–464. , , (
- 1973) Why Regulate Utilities? To Control Price Discrimination. Journal of Law & Economics 16, 191–192. (
- 2003) New Regimes, New Capacities: The Politics of Telecommunications Nationalisation and Liberalisation. In: Weiss L (ed) States in the Global Economy: Bringing Domestic Institutions Back In, pp. 161–178. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. (
- 2006) Varieties of Regulatory Capitalism: Sectors and Nations in the Making of a New Global Order. Governance 19, 363–366. (
- 1994) The Institutional Foundations of Regulatory Commitment: A Comparative Analysis of Telecommunications Regulation. Journal of Law, Economics & Organizations 10 (2), 201–246. , (
- 2006) Withering in the Heat? In Search of the Regulatory State in the Commonwealth Caribbean. Governance 19, 465–495. , (
- 2013) Having Your Cake and Eating It, Too: Can Regulatory Agencies Be Both Independent and Accountable? Swiss Political Science Review 19, 1–25. , , (
- 1985) Factor Analysis and Related Methods. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ. (
- 2012) Implementing Independent Regulatory Agencies in Brazil: The Contrasting Experiences in the Electricity and Telecommunications Sectors. Regulation & Governance 6, 300–326. (
- 1993) The Origins of Utility Regulation and the “Theories of Regulation” Debate. Journal of Law & Economics 36, 289–323. (
- 1970) Applied Factor Analysis. Northwestern University Press, Evanston, IL. (
- 2003) Telecom Global Competition Review. Law Business Research Ltd, London. (
- 1962) What Can Regulators Regulate? The Case of Electricity. Journal of Law and Economics 5, 1–16. , (