†We dedicate this article to the memory of our co-author and colleague, Dr. Barney de Villiers, who sadly died during the preparation of this article.
Original Research Article
When Precaution Creates Misunderstandings: The Unintended Effects of Precautionary Information on Perceived Risks, the EMF Case
Article first published online: 28 MAR 2013
© 2013 Society for Risk Analysis
Volume 33, Issue 10, pages 1788–1801, October 2013
How to Cite
Wiedemann, P. M., Schuetz, H., Boerner, F., Clauberg, M., Croft, R., Shukla, R., Kikkawa, T., Kemp, R., Gutteling, J. M., de Villiers, B., da Silva Medeiros, F. N. and Barnett, J. (2013), When Precaution Creates Misunderstandings: The Unintended Effects of Precautionary Information on Perceived Risks, the EMF Case. Risk Analysis, 33: 1788–1801. doi: 10.1111/risa.12034
- Issue published online: 7 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 28 MAR 2013
- Global System Mobile Association and Mobile Manufacturers Forum
- 2Commission of the European Communities, Communication from the Commission on the Precautionary Principle. Available at: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2000:0001:FIN:EN:PDF. Accessed on December 12, 2011.
- 5IEGMP. Independent Expert Group on Mobile Phones. Mobile Phones and Health. NRPB, Oxford, 2000. Available at: http://www.iegmp.org.uk/report/text.htm. Accessed on December 12, 2011.
- 6WHO 2003 Precautionary Framework for Public Health Protection. Available at: http://www.who.int/peh-emf/meetings/archive/en/Precaution_Draft_2May.pdf. Accessed on August 10, 2012.
- 7Special Eurobarometer 272a. Electromagnetic Fields. Brussels, 2007. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_272a_en.pdf. Accessed on August 10, 2012.
- 8Special Eurobarometer 347. Electromagnetic Fields. Brussels. 2010. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_347_en.pdf. Accessed on August 10, 2012.
- 9Risk perceptions of environmental hazards and human reproduction: A community based survey. ISRN Public Health, 2012; article ID 748080. Accessed on August 12, 2012, , , .
- 10Public Attitude Toward Mobile Base Station Siting: More than Nimby. Available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1553672. Accessed on August 12, 2012..
- 11The impact of cell phone towers on house prices in residential neighborhoods. Appraisal Journal, 2005; 73(3): 256–265, .
- 12Public Concerns Over Microwave Radiation in the U.S.: Comparing the Perceived Health Risks of Phones and Towers. Available at: http://www.salzburg.gv.at/Proceedings_(26)_Slesin.pdf. Accessed on August 10, 2012.
- 13Stability of Risk Perception Related to Mobile Phone Stations Over Two Years on the Individual Level. The QUEBEB Study. Available at: http://www.egms.de/static/en/meetings/gmds2011/11gmds266.shtml#block1. Accessed on August 12, 2012., , , , , .
- 18Trust, risk and the TCC of cooperation. Pp. 1–49 in Siegrist M, Earle T, Gutscher H(eds). Trust in Cooperative Risk Management. London: Earthscan, 2007., , eds.
- 23How should public “outrage” affect application of the precautionary principle? Available at: http://www.psandman.com/articles/vodafone.pdf. Accessed on August 12, 2012..
- 25Compliance to health recommendations: A theoretical overview of message framing. Health Education Research, 1988; 3(2): 161–171., , .
- 28Cultural cognition as conception of cultural theory of risk. Pp. 725–760 in Hillerbrand, R, Sandin P, Roeser S, Peterson M (eds). Handbook of Risk Theory: Epistemology, Decision Theory, Ethics and Social Implications of Risk. Vol. 2. Heidelberg: Springer London, 2012..
- 29Culture's Consequences: Comparing Values, Behaviors, Institutions and Organizations Across Nations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2001..
- 32Gender differences in risk assessment: Why do women take fewer risks than men? Judgment and Decision Making, 2006, 1(1): 48–63., , .
- 34Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs for Generalized Causal Inference. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin, 2002., , .
- 35Thinking Fast and Slow. London: Allen Lane, 2011..
- 36Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press, Inc., 1983., , , , .
- 37Untersuchungen mit einer deutschen Form der Repression-Sensitization-Skala. Zeitschrift für klinische Psychologie, 1974; 3: 238–260..
- 38The personal need for structure (PNS) and personal fear of invalidity (PFI) scales: Historical perspectives, present applications and future directions. Pp.19–39 in Moskowitz G (ed). Cognitive Social Psychology: The Princeton Symposium on the Legacy and Future of Social Cognition. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2001., , , .
- 39A “Personality” Approach to Understanding the Effect of Risk Communication Strategies in Telecommunications Messaging, 2012; Talk Given at the SRA World Congress of Risk, Sydney., , .
- 40Building blocks for a precautionary approach to the use of nanomaterials: Positions taken by trade unions and environmental NGOs in the European nanotechnologies debate. Risk Analysis, 2011, 31(10): 1647–1657., .