Original Research Article
Optimal Food Safety Sampling Under a Budget Constraint
Article first published online: 24 APR 2013
© 2013 Society for Risk Analysis Published 2013. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain for the U.S.A.
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 93–100, January 2014
How to Cite
Powell, M. R. (2014), Optimal Food Safety Sampling Under a Budget Constraint. Risk Analysis, 34: 93–100. doi: 10.1111/risa.12054
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 24 APR 2013
- 2ICMSF (International Commission on Microbiological Specifications for Foods). Micro-Organisms in Foods 7: Microbiological Testing in Food Safety Management. New York: Springer, 2002.
- 3Codex (Codex Alimentarius Commission). General Guidelines on Sampling. Rome: FAO, 2004.
- 4Codex (Codex Alimentarius Commission). Recommended Methods of Sampling for the Determination of Pesticide Residues for Compliance with MRLs. Rome: FAO, 1999.
- 5Introduction to Quality Control, 5th ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005..
- 6Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1999., , .
- 7Washington State University. Avian Health and Food Safety Laboratory Fee Schedule, 2012. Available at: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/avian.aspx#Fees, Accessed on June 26, 2012.
- 8New Zealand Parliamentary Counsel Office. Food (Fees and Charges) Regulations 1997, 2008. Available at: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1997/0100/latest/DLM232769.html?search=ts_regulation_food_resel&sr=1, Accessed on June 26, 2012.
- 9Georgia Ports Authority. Rule 34-525 Government Agency Inspections, 2012. Available at: http://www.gaports.com/tabid/244/xmid/3373/xmview/2/xmmid/741/Default.aspx, Accessed on December 12, 2012.
- 10Food Safety and Inspection Service, 2013, personal communication..
- 12WTO (World Trade Organization). Agreement on the Application of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures. Geneva: WTO, 1994.
- 14National Research Council. An Evaluation of the Role of Microbiological Criteria for Foods and Food Ingredients. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 1985.
- 15Empirical research on the deterrent effect of environmental monitoring and enforcement. Environmental Law Reporter, 2000; 30(4):10245–10252..
- 16Sampling Techniques, 3rd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1977..
- 17National Toxicology Program. National Toxicology Program's Report of the Endocrine Disruptors Low-Dose Peer Review. Research Triangle Park, NC: National Toxicology Program, 2001.
- 18Designing food safety regulations: The effect of inspection policy and penalties for noncompliance on food processor behavior. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 2000; 25(2):616–635..
- 19Moral hazard, inspection policy, and food safety. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2005; 87(1):15–27..Direct Link: