Original Research Article
Bioaccessibility and Risk of Exposure to Metals and SVOCs in Artificial Turf Field Fill Materials and Fibers
Article first published online: 11 JUN 2013
© 2013 Society for Risk Analysis
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 44–55, January 2014
How to Cite
Pavilonis, B. T., Weisel, C. P., Buckley, B. and Lioy, P. J. (2014), Bioaccessibility and Risk of Exposure to Metals and SVOCs in Artificial Turf Field Fill Materials and Fibers. Risk Analysis, 34: 44–55. doi: 10.1111/risa.12081
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 11 JUN 2013
- 1Synthetic turf in the USA—Trends and issues. International Turfgrass Society, 2005; 10:27–33..
- 3Football injuries on synthetic turf fields. Joint Diseases & Related Surgery, 2011; 22(3):155–159., , , , .
- 10Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment. Health Effects of Recycled Waste Tires in Playground and Track Products. California: Environmental Protection Agency, 2007.
- 17Artificial Turf Pitches—An Assessment of the Health Risks for Football Players. Oslo: Norwegian Institute of Public Health and the Radium Hospital, 2006..
- 18An Assessment of Chemical Leaching, Releases to Air and Temperature at Crumb-Rubber Infilled Synthetic Turf Fields. Albany, NY: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, New York State Department of Health, 2009., .
- 21CDC updates guidelines for children's lead exposure. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2012; 120(7):a268..
- 24Estimates of bioavailability of metals in soils with synthetic biofluids: Is this a replacement for animal studies? Presented at Bioavailability, Quantifying the Real Toxicity of Common Soil Contaminants. Scottsdale, AZ: International Congress on Human Health Bioavailability, 1997., , , , , , , .
- 25Estimation of the bio-available fraction of metal contaminant in soils using synthetic bio-fluid extraction. Presented at the Society for Risk Analysis and International Society of Exposure Analysis. New Orleans, LA: Society for Risk Analysis, 1996., , , , .
- 26Measurement of chromium speciation changes in in-vitro bio-availability assays by icp/ms. Presented at Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy. Austin, TX: Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy Societies, 1998., , , , .
- 27United States Environmental Protection Agency. Risk Assessment Guidance for Superfund Volume I: Human Health Evaluation Manual (Part E, Supplemental Guidance for Dermal Risk Assessment), EPA/540/R/99/005. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 2004.
- 28United States Environmental Protection Agency. Exposure Factors Handbook, Edition (Final). EPA/600/R-09/052F. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2011.
- 31United States Environmental Protection Agency. A Scoping-Level Field Monitoring Study of Synthetic Turf Fields and Playgrounds, EPA/600/R-09/135. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2009.
- 32United States Environmental Protection Agency. Superfund Chemical Data Matrix. Available at: http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/npl/hrsres/tools/scdm.htm, Accessed January 1, 2013.
- 33Advisory Committee on Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention. Low Level Lead Exposure Harms Children: A Renewed Call for Primary Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2012.
- 35New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. Residential soil cleanup criteria. Available at: http://www.nj.gov/dep/srp/guidance/scc./, Accessed on January 1, 2013.
- 36Final report on the safety assessment of sorbitan caprylate, sorbitan cocoate, sorbitan diisostearate, sorbitan dioleate, sorbitan distearate, sorbitan isostearate, sorbitan olivate, sorbitan sesquiisostearate, sorbitan sesquistearate, and sorbitan triisostearate. International Journal of Toxicology, 2002; 21 (Supplemental 1):93–112., .
- 37Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). 4-Tert-Octylphenol Risk Reduction Strategy and Analysis of Advantages and Drawbacks. London: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, 2008.
- 38TOXNET. Benzothiazole 2010. Available at: http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search, Accessed June 22, 2011.