Note: This project has been a long time in the making. I thank Susan Godlonton for brilliant research assistance (many years ago). Diana Nyabongo provided excellent research assistance more recently. The paper has been improved by comments received from Stephan Klasen, two anonymous referees, and participants at the IARIW conference in Cape Town; as well as from Anne Case and Taryn Dinkelman. All remaining errors are my responsibility. Support for this research was provided by the U.S. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (Grant R01HD045581). Earlier versions of this paper were presented to the Centre for Social Science Research's workshop on Family Support and at seminars in Princeton and Michigan.
The Weight of Success: The Body Mass Index and Economic Well-Being in Southern Africa
Article first published online: 27 MAR 2013
© 2013 International Association for Research in Income and Wealth
Review of Income and Wealth
Special Issue: Measuring Income, Wealth, Inequality, and Poverty in Sub Saharan Africa: Challenges, Issues, and Findings
Volume 59, Issue Supplement S1, pages S62–S83, October 2013
How to Cite
Wittenberg, M. (2013), The Weight of Success: The Body Mass Index and Economic Well-Being in Southern Africa. Review of Income and Wealth, 59: S62–S83. doi: 10.1111/roiw.12029
- Issue published online: 4 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 27 MAR 2013
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!