People, Power, and Land: New Enclosures on a Global Scale
Article first published online: 12 NOV 2013
Copyright © 2013, by the Rural Sociological Society
Volume 79, Issue 1, pages 28–33, March 2014
How to Cite
Geisler, C. and Makki, F. (2014), People, Power, and Land: New Enclosures on a Global Scale. Rural Sociology, 79: 28–33. doi: 10.1111/ruso.12030
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 12 NOV 2013
- 2000. “The Great Global Enclosure of Our Times: Peasants and the Agrarian Question at the End of the Twentieth Century.” Pp. 145–160 in Hungry for Profit: Agribusiness Threat to Farmers, Food and Environment, edited by F. Magdoff , J. B. Foster , and F. H. Buttel . New York: Monthly Review Press.
- 2004. “Between Violence and Desire: Space, Power, and Identity in the Making of Metropolitan Delhi.” International Social Science Journal 55(175):89–98.
- 2012. “A ‘Land Sovereignty’ Alternative? Toward a Peoples’ Counter-Enclosure.” TNI Agrarian Justice Programme Discussion Paper, July. Transnational Institute, Amsterdam, Netherlands. . and .
- 2010. “The Future of ‘The Commons’: Neoliberalism's ‘Plan B’ or the Original Disaccumulation of Capital?” New Formations 69(Summer):23–41.
- 2010. Rising Global Interest in Farmland: Can It Yield Sustainable and Equitable Benefits? Washington, DC: World Bank. and .
- 2009. Climate Change, Land and Security. Stockholm, Sweden: Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. Retrieved June 1, 2013 (http://www.sipri.org/media/newsletter/essay/dec09).
- 2004. Caliban and the Witch: Women, the Body and Primitive Accumulation. Brooklyn, NY: Autonomedia.
- 2012. “Our Land and Our Lives: Time Out on the Global Land Rush.” Oxfam Briefing Note, October. Oxford, England: Oxfam.
- 2012. “New Terra Nullius Narratives and the Gentrification of Africa's ‘Empty Lands.’ ” Journal of World Systems Research 18:15–29.
- 1993. “Returning Land Tenure to the Forefront of Rural Sociology.” Rural Sociology 58(4):529–531. and .
- 2000. “A Space for Place in Sociology.” Annual Review of Sociology 26:463–496.
- 2011. “Land Grabbing in Southern Africa: The Many Faces of the Investor Rush.” Review of African Political Economy 128:193–214. .
- 2004. “How Did Colonialism Dispossess? Comments from an Edge of Empire.” Annals of the Association of American Geographers 94(1):165–182.
- 2004. “Power, Labor, and Livelihood: Processes of Change in Rural Java. Notes on a Rural Village Revisited.” University of California International and Area Studies Paper No. 2. Retrieved October 2, 2013 (http://repositories.cdlib.org/ucias/gfn/2).
- 2003. The New Imperialism. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.
- 2011. “The Future of the Commons.” Radical History Review 109:101–107. .
- 1976. Capital. Vol. 1. Translated by Ben Fowkes. London, England: New Left Books and Penguin.
- 2010. “Agrofuels in the Food Regime.” Journal of Peasant Studies 37(4):609–629.
- 2011. Engendering Agricultural Research. IFPRI Monograph. Washington, DC: International Food Policy Research Institute. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. The Political Un-Commons: The Cross-Cultural Logic of the Global Commons. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
- 2012. Land Grabbers: The Fight over Who Owns the Earth. Boston, MA: Beacon.
- 2012. “Mega-Projects and State-Driven Land Grabbing in Brazil: Violence and Dispossession in the Name of Economic Development.” Presented at the International Conference on Global Land Grabbing II, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, October 18.
- 2007. “Enclosure and Privatization of Neoliberal Environments: Some Comments.” Pp. 89–93 in Neoliberal Environments, edited by N. Heynen , J. McCarthy , S. Prudham , and P. Robbins . London, England: Routledge.
- 1944. The Great Transformation. Boston, MA: Beacon.
- 2012. “Atlas Swam: Freedom, Captial, and Floating Sovereignties in the Seasteading Vision.” Antipode 44(4):1532–1550. , , and .
- 1896] 1913. “Earth Hunger or the Philosophy of Land Grabbing.” Pp. 31–66 in Earth Hunger and Other Essays, edited by A. G. Keller . New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. [
- 2008. “Spaces of Enclosure.” Geoforum 39:1641–1646. , , and .
- 2012. “The New Enclosures: Critical Perspectives on Corporate Land Deals.” Journal of Peasant Studies 39(3–4):619–647. , , , , and .
- 2003. “African Enclosures: A Default Mode of Development.” World Development 31(10):30–42.