Objectively recorded physical activity in early pregnancy: A multiethnic population-based study
Article first published online: 27 DEC 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons A/S
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
How to Cite
Berntsen, S., Richardsen, K. R., Mørkrid, K., Sletner, L., Birkeland, K. I. and Jenum, A. K. (2012), Objectively recorded physical activity in early pregnancy: A multiethnic population-based study. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. doi: 10.1111/sms.12034
- Article first published online: 27 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 NOV 2012
- The effect of social desirability and social approval on self-reports of physical activity. Am J Epidemiol 2005: 161 (4): 389–398. , , , , , , .
- Issues in the assessment of physical activity in women. Res Q Exerc Sport 2000: 71 (2 Suppl): S37–S42. .
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Exercise during pregnancy and the postpartum period. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2003: 46 (2): 496–499.
- Validity of physical activity monitors in adults participating in free living activities. Br J Sports Med 2010: 44 (9): 657–664. , , , , , , .
- Physical activity monitor for recording energy expenditure in pregnancy. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2011: 90 (8): 903–907. , , .
- French pregnancy physical activity questionnaire compared with an accelerometer cut point to classify physical activity among pregnant obese women. PLoS ONE 2012: 7 (6): e38818. , , , .
- Are Canadian women achieving a fit pregnancy? A pilot study. Can J Public Health 2010: 101 (1): 87–91. , , .
- Baby steps: pedometer-determined and self-reported leisure-time exercise behaviors of pregnant women. J Phys Act Health 2009: 6 (1): 63–72. , , .
- Leisure-time physical activity among pregnant women in the US. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 2004: 18 (6): 400–407. , , .
- National trends in self-reported physical activity and sedentary behaviors among pregnant women: NHANES 1999-2006. Prev Med 2010: 50 (3): 123–128. , .
- Prevalence and correlates of objectively measured physical activity and sedentary behavior among US pregnant women. Prev Med 2011: 53 (1–2): 39–43. , .
- The impact of pregnancy on physical activity level. Matern Child Health J 2009: 13 (5): 597–603. , , , .
- How physically active are South Asians in the United Kingdom? A literature review. J Public Health (Oxf) 2004: 26 (3): 250–258. , , .
- American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal, and neuromotor fitness in apparently healthy adults: guidance for prescribing exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2011: 43 (7): 1334–1359. , , , , , , , .
- Exercise during pregnancy: a review of patterns and determinants. J Sci Med Sport 2011: 14 (4): 299–305. , .
- Effect of exercise on pregnancy outcome. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2008: 51 (2): 467–480. , .
- Physical activity, sedentary behaviors, and estimated insulin sensitivity and secretion in pregnant and non-pregnant women. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2011: 11 (1): 44. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Regression with graphics: a second course in applied statistics. Belmont, CA: Duxbury Press, 1992. .
- Applied logistic regression, 2nd edn. New York: Wiley, 2000. , .
- Self report in clinical and epidemiological studies with non-English speakers: the challenge of language and culture. J Epidemiol Community Health 2004: 58 (7): 618–622. , .
- Validating MOSPA questionnaire for measuring physical activity in Pakistani women. Nutr J 2006: 5 (1): 18. , , , , .
- Ethnicity and sex are strong determinants of diabetes in an urban Western society: implications for prevention. Diabetologia 2005: 48 (3): 435–439. , , , .
- The STORK Groruddalen research programme: a population-based cohort study of gestational diabetes, physical activity, and obesity in pregnancy in a multiethnic population. Rationale, methods, study population, and participation rates. Scand J Public Health 2010: 38 (5 Suppl): 60–70. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Impact of ethnicity on gestational diabetes identified with the WHO and the modified International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups criteria: a population-based cohort study. Eur J Endocrinol 2012: 166 (2): 317–324. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Activity patterns during pregnancy. Can J Appl Physiol 2003: 28 (4): 642–653. , .
- Correlates of recreational physical activity in early pregnancy. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2003: 13 (6): 385–393. , , , , , .
- Reliability and validity of the Vietnamese version of the Pregnancy Physical Activity Questionnaire (PPAQ). Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2008: 39: 562–570. , , , , , , , , , .
- Predictors of change in physical activity during and after pregnancy: project viva. Am J Prev Med 2007: 32 (4): 312–319. , , , , , .
- Correlates of physical activity among pregnant women in the United States. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2005: 37 (10): 1748–1753. , , .
- A review of physical activity patterns in pregnant women and their relationship to psychological health. Sports Med 2006: 36 (1): 19–38. , .
- Aerobic exercise training during pregnancy reduces depressive symptoms in nulliparous women: a randomised trial. J Physiother 2012: 58 (1): 9–15. , , , , .
- Physical activity patterns during pregnancy in a diverse population of women. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2006: 15 (8): 909–918. , , , , .
- Limits to the measurement of habitual physical activity by questionnaires. Br J Sports Med 2003: 37 (3): 197–206. .
- Evaluation of a portable device to measure daily energy expenditure in free-living adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2007: 85 (3): 742–749. , , , .
- How many steps/day are enough? Preliminary pedometer indices for public health. Sports Med 2004: 34 (1): 1–8. , .
- Methodological considerations for researchers and practitioners using pedometers to measure physical (ambulatory) activity. Res Q Exerc Sport 2001: 72 (1): 1–12. , .
- Estimation of body fat mass in pregnant women by a new method using bioelectrical impedance analysis with compensation for intrauterine component weight. Int J Body Compost Res 2006: 4 (4): 145. , , , , , , .
- The assessment of physical activity in individuals and populations: why try to be more precise about how physical activity is assessed? Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1998: 22 (Suppl 2): S30–S38. , .
- Exercise during pregnancy among US women. Ann Epidemiol 1996: 6 (1): 53–59. , .