Physical exercise intervention in depressive disorders: Meta-analysis and systematic review
Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons A/S. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
Volume 24, Issue 2, pages 259–272, April 2014
How to Cite
Josefsson, T., Lindwall, M. and Archer, T. (2014), Physical exercise intervention in depressive disorders: Meta-analysis and systematic review. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 24: 259–272. doi: 10.1111/sms.12050
- Issue online: 18 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 NOV 2012
- Physical exercise and depression. Mount Sinai J Med 2009: 76: 204–214. , , .
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, 4th edn. Arlington, VA: APA, 1994.
- Why patients use alternative medicine – results of a national study. JAMA 1998: 279: 1548–1553. .
- Weight gain. A side-effect of tricyclic antidepressants. J Affect Disord 1984: 7: 133–138. , , .
- The psychology of physical activity. London: Routledge, 2008. , .
- Exercise and pharmacotherapy in the treatment of major depressive disorder. Psychosom Med 2007: 69: 587–596. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Effect sizes for continuous data. In: Cooper H , Hedges LV , Valentine JC , eds. The handbook of research synthesis and meta analysis. New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 2009: 279–293. .
- Introduction to meta-analysis. Chichester: Wiley, 2009. , , , .
- ComprehensiveMeta-analysis Version 2. Englewood, NJ: Biostat, 2005. , , , .
- Exercise psychology. Leeds: Human Kinetics, 2002. , .
- The empirical status of cognitive-behavioral therapy: a review of meta-analyses. Clin Psychol Rev 2006: 26: 17–31. , , , .
- Exercise: a neglected intervention in mental health care? J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2004: 11: 476–483. .
- Pragmatic randomised controlled trial of preferred intensity exercise in women living with depression. BMC Public Health 2011: 11: 465. , , , .
- Depression and public health – an overview. J Psychosom Res 2002: 53: 849–857. , .
- Facilitated physical activity as a treatment for depressed adults: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2012: 344: e2758. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Effect of Tai Chi on depressive symptoms amongst Chinese older patients with depressive disorders: a randomized clinical trial. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2004: 19: 1105–1107. , , , , , , .
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences, 2nd edn. New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum, 1988. .
- Exercise builds brain health: key roles of growth factor cascades and inflammation. Trends Neurosci 2007: 30: 464–472. , , .
- The effect of exercise on clinical depression and depression resulting from mental illness: a meta-analysis. J Sport Exerc Psychol 1998: 20: 339–357. , .
- The Benefits of Exercise for the Clinically Depressed. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry 2004: 6: 104–111. , .
- Workplace exercise intervention to prevent depression: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Ment Health Phys Act 2010: 3: 72–77. , , , .
- Running versus weight lifting in the treatment of depression. J Consult Clin Psychol 1987: 55: 748–754. , , , , , .
- Exercise treatment for depression: efficacy and dose response. Am J Prev Med 2005: 28: 1–8. , , , , .
- Recent development and current controversies in depression. Lancet 2006: 367: 153–167. , , .
- Aerobic activity versus group cognitive therapy: an evaluative study of contrasting interventions for the alleviation of clinical depression. Reno: University of Nevada, 1986. .
- An examination of potential mechanisms for exercise as a treatment for depression: a pilot study. Ment Health Phys Act 2008: 1: 69–73. , , , , , .
- Allocation concealment and blinding: when ignorance is bliss. Med J Aust 2005: 182: 87–89. , , .
- Meditation in medical practice: a review of the evidence and practice. Prim Care 2010: 37: 81–90. , .
- Inverse association between physical inactivity and mental health in men and women. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2006: 38: 173–178. , , , , .
- Grading strength of recommendations and quality of evidence in clinical guidelines: report from an american college of chest physicians task force. Chest 2006: 129: 174–181. , , , , , , , , .
- Physical activity and public health: updated recommendation for adults from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association. Med Sci Sport Exer 2007: 39: 1423–1434. , , , , , , , , , .
- Physical exercise and psychological well-being: a population study in Finland. Prev Med 2000: 30: 17–25. , , .
- A comparison of Beck's cognitive therapy and jogging as treatments for depression. Missoula: University of Montana, 1981. .
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. BMJ 2003: 327: 557–560. , , , .
- What is meant by intention to treat analysis? Survey of published randomised controlled trials. Br Med J 1999: 319: 670–674. , .
- Male sexual side effects associated with antidepressants: a descriptive clinical study of 32 patients. Int J Psychiatry Med 1995: 25: 191–201. , .
- Aerobic conditioning in the therapeutic treatment of chronic schizophrenia. Flagstaff, AZ: Northern Arizona University, 1986. .
- Research design in clinical psychology. Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon, 2010. .
- The use of complementary and alternative therapies to treat anxiety and depression in the United States. Am J Psychiatry 2001: 158: 289–294. , , , , , , .
- Initial severity and antidepressant benefits: a meta-analysis of data submitted to the food and drug administration. PLoS Med 2008: 5: 260–268. , , , , , .
- A comparative outcome study of group psychotherapy vs exercise treatments for depression. Int J Mental Health 1985: 13: 148–176. , , , , , , .
- The effect of exercise in clinically depressed adults: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Psychiatry 2011: 72: 529–538. , , , .
- The DEMO trial: a randomized, parallel-group, observer-blinded clinical trial of strength versus aerobic versus relaxation training for patients with mild to moderate depression. J Clin Psychiatry 2009: 70: 790–800. , , , .
- Exercise-associated mood alterations: a review of interactive neurobiological mechanisms. Med Exerc Nutr Health 1995: 4: 17–32. .
- Tai Chi Chuan: an ancient wisdom on exercise and health promotion. Sports Med 2002: 32: 217–224. , , .
- Physical activity and mental health. In: Tenenbaum G , Eklund RC , eds. Handbook of Sport psychology. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2007: 469–491. , .
- The effectiveness of exercise as an intervention in the management of depression: systematic review and meta-regression analysis of randomised controlled trials. Author's reply. BMJ 2001: 322: 763. .
- The effectiveness of exercise as an intervention in the management of depression: systematic review and meta-regression analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ 2001: 322: 763–767. , .
- Antidepressant effects associated with different exercise conditions in participants with depression: a pilot study. J Sport Exerc Psychol 2007: 29: 348–364. , .
- Global and regional burden of disease and risk factors, 2001: systematic analysis of population health data. Lancet 2006: 367: 1747–1757. , , , , .
- Effects of aerobic exercise on depression: a controlled study. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1985: 291: 109. , , .
- Effects of exercise on depressive symptoms in older adults with poorly responsive depressive disorder – randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 2002: 180: 411–415. , , , , , .
- The effect of exercise on depressive symptoms in the moderately depressed elderly. Psychol Ageing 1991: 6: 487–488. , , .
- Exercise for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009: Art. No: CD004366. doi: 1002/14651858.CD004366.pub4 , , , , , .
- Depression, chronic diseases, and decrements in health: results from the World Health Surveys. Lancet 2007: 370: 851–858. , , , , , .
- Cognitive-behavior therapy, relaxation training, and tricyclic antidepressant medication in the treatment of depression. Psychol Rep 1995: 77: 403–420. , , , , .
- Global mortality, disability, and the contribution of risk factors: global burden of disease study. Lancet 1997: 349: 1436–1442. , .
- Exercise as a treatment for moderate depression in the UK National Health Service. Proceedings of sport, health psychology, and exercise symposium (abstract). London: Sports Council and Health Education Authority, 1988: 96–105. .
- The relationship between physical activity and clinically defined depression. In: Biddle SJH , Fox KR , Boucher SH , eds. Physical activity and psychological well-being. London: Routledge, 2000: 46–62. .
- Healthy body, healthy mind? Psychologist 2002: 15: 412–413. .
- Effect of exercise on depression. Exerc Sport Sci Rev 1990: 18: 379–415. , , .
- Depression and exercise. Int J Sport Psychol 2000: 31: 110–135. , , .
- Impact of aerobic training on fitness and quality of life in multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 1996: 39: 432–441. , , , , , .
- Comparison of descriptions of allocation concealment in trial protocols and the published reports: cohort study. BMJ 2005: 330: 1049. , , , , , .
- Mood and energy regulation in seasonal and non-seasonal depression before and after midday treatment with physical exercise or bright light. Psychiatry Res 2000: 94: 29–42. , , , .
- The antidepressive effects of exercise a meta-analysis of randomized trials. Sports Med 2009: 39: 491–511. , , .
- A comparison of cognitive behavioral-therapy and relaxation training for the treatment of depression in adolescents. J Consult Clin Psychol 1986: 54: 653–660. , .
- Oxygen uptake kinetics and lactate concentration during exercise in humans. Am Rev Respir Dis 1987: 135: 1080–1084. , , , , , .
- Empirical evidence of bias. Dimensions of methodological quality associated with estimates of treatment effects in controlled trials. J Am Med Assoc 1995: 273: 408–412. , , , .
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression. New York: Guilford Press, 2002. , , .
- Aerobic exercise and group counseling in the treatment of anxiety and depression. Ann Arbor: University of Maryland, 1985. .
- Analyzing effect sizes: fixed-effects models. In: Cooper H , Hedges LV , Valentine JC , eds. The handbook of research synthesis and meta analysis. New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 2009: 257–277. , .
- A randomized controlled trial of progressive resistance training in depressed elders. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 1997: 52: M27–M35. , , .
- A randomized controlled trial of high versus low intensity weight training versus general practitioner care for clinical depression in older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2005: 60: 768–776. , , , , , .
- Exercise interventions for mental health: a quantitative and qualitative review. Clin Psychol Sci Pract 2006: 13: 179–193. , , , , .
- A comparison of the effects of Zen breath meditation or relaxation on college adjustment. Int J Psych Orient 1998: 41: 32–43. , .
- Adverse effects associated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants: a meta-analysis. CMAJ 1998: 159: 1245–1252. , , , .
- Effects of mindful and non-mindful exercises on people with depression: a systematic review. Br J Clin Psychol 2008: 47: 303–322. , , .
- Effect of qigong exercise programme on elderly with depression. Int J Geriat Psychiatry 2006: 21: 890–897. , , , , .
- Mental disorders and the use of alternative medicine: results from a national survey. Am J Psychiatry 2000: 157: 1851–1857. , , , , , , .
- Complementary and alternative medicine in the treatment of anxiety and depression. Curr Opin Psychiatry 2008: 21: 37–42. , , .
- Exercise and the brain: something to chew on. Trends Neurosci 2009: 32: 283–290. .
- Aerobic exercise in the adjunctive treatment of depression – a randomized controlled trial. J Roy Soc Med 1992: 85: 541–544. , , , , , .
- The effect of Tai Chi on health outcomes in patients with chronic conditions – a systematic review. Arch Intern Med 2004: 164: 493–501. , , .
- Health benefits of physical activity: the evidence. Can Med Assoc J 2006: 174: 801–809. , , .
- Empirical evidence of bias in treatment effect estimates in controlled trials with different interventions and outcomes: meta-epidemiological study. Br Med J 2008: 336: 601–605. , , , , , , , , , .