The copyright line for this article was changed on 10 July 2014 after original online publication.
The effect of relaxin on the musculoskeletal system
Version of Record online: 28 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
Volume 24, Issue 4, pages e220–e229, August 2014
How to Cite
Dehghan, F., Haerian, B. S., Muniandy, S., Yusof, A., Dragoo, J. L. and Salleh, N. (2014), The effect of relaxin on the musculoskeletal system. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 24: e220–e229. doi: 10.1111/sms.12149
Jason L Dragoo and Naguib Salleh have equal contribution in preparation of this manuscript.
- Issue online: 16 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 28 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 OCT 2013
- University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.. Grant Number: PV104/2012A
- Circulating levels of relaxin are normal in pregnant women with pelvic pain. Eur J Obstet Gyn R B 1997: 74 (1): 19–22. , , , , .
- The relationship between serum relaxin and knee joint laxity in female athletes. Orthopedics 2002: 25 (6): 669–673. , , , .
- Relaxin protects against myocardial injury caused by ischemia and reperfusion in rat heart [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Am J Pathol 1998: 152 (5): 1367–1376. , , , , .
- A novel, simple bioactivity assay for relaxin based on inhibition of platelet aggregation. Regul Pept 2007: 144 (1–3): 10–16. , , , , , , , .
- Relaxin family peptides and their receptors. Physiol Rev 2013: 93 (1): 405–480. , , , , , .
- The relationship between menstrual cycle phase and anterior cruciate ligament injury. Am J Sports Med 2006: 34 (5): 757–764. , , , , , .
- Relaxin improves multiple markers of wound healing and ameliorates the disturbed healing pattern of genetically diabetic mice. Clin Sci (Lond) 2013: 125 (12): 575–585. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Effect of relaxin on the phenotype of collagens synthesized by cultured rabbit chondrocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta 1988: 972 (2): 209–220. , , , , , .
- Endometrial LGR7 expression during menstrual cycle. Fertil Steril 2011: 95 (8): 2511–2514. , , , , , , .
- Effect of peptides of the insulin superfamily on glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity in skeletal muscles of river lamprey (Lampetra fluviatilis) during prespawning starvation. B Exp Biol Med+ 2009: 148 (1): 29–32. , .
- Bone metastasis: pathogenesis and therapeutic implications [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't Review]. Clin Exp Metastasis 2007: 24 (8): 599–608. , .
- Maternal vasodilation in pregnancy: the emerging role of relaxin. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2011: 301 (2): R267–R275. .
- Corpus luteal contribution to maternal pregnancy physiology and outcomes in assisted reproductive technologies. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2013: 304 (2): R69–R72. , .
- The pelvis of the rat: its response to estrogen and relaxin. Anat Rec 1957: 128 (3): 467–483. , .
- Hormone replacement therapy in rheumatoid arthritis is associated with lower serum levels of soluble IL-6 receptor and higher insulin-like growth factor 1. Arthritis Res Ther 2003: 5 (4): R202–R209. , , , , .
- Wound healing: an overview of acute, fibrotic and delayed healing. Front Biosci 2004: 1 (9): 283–289. , .
- Prospective correlation between serum relaxin concentration and anterior cruciate ligament tears among elite collegiate female athletes. Am J Sports Med 2011a: 39 (10): 2175–2180. , , , , , .
- Trends in serum relaxin concentration among elite collegiate female athletes. Int J Womens Health 2011b: 3: 19–24. , , , , , .
- Relaxin receptors in the human female anterior cruciate ligament. Am J Sport Med 2003: 31 (4): 577–584. , , , , .
- The effect of relaxin on the female anterior cruciate ligament: analysis of mechanical properties in an animal model. Knee 2009: 16 (1): 69–72. , , , .
- Relaxin inhibits the activation of human neutrophils: involvement of the nitric oxide pathway. Endocrinology 2004: 145 (3): 1106–1112. , , , , , .
- Role of relaxin in human osteoclastogenesis. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2009: 1160: 221–225. , , , , .
- The anatomy and physiology of the locomotor system. Nurs Stand 2012: 27 (7): 35–43. , , .
- Quantitation of estrogen receptors and relaxin binding in human anterior cruciate ligament fibroblasts [Comparative Study Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 2006: 42 (7): 176–181. , , , , .
- Relaxin stimulates osteoclast differentiation and activation. Bone 2010: 46 (2): 504–513. , , , , .
- New roles for INSL3 in adults [In Vitro]. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2009: 1160: 215–218. , , , , , , , , .
- Mutations in the insulin-like factor 3 receptor are associated with osteoporosis [Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. J Bone Miner Res 2008: 23 (5): 683–693. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Profiling insulin like factor 3 (INSL3) signaling in human osteoblasts. PLoS ONE 2011: 6 (12): e29733. , , , , .
- Relaxin stimulates leukocyte adhesion and migration through a relaxin receptor LGR7-dependent mechanism. J Biol Chem 2006: 281 (6): 3030–3039. , , , .
- Relaxin favors the morphofunctional integration between skeletal myoblasts and adult cardiomyocytes in coculture. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2005: 1041: 444–445. , , , , .
- Pathogenetic relevance of the pregnancy hormone relaxin to inborn hip instability. [Clinical Trial]. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 1997: 116 (4): 209–212. , , , .
- The use of an antifibrosis agent to improve muscle recovery after laceration. Am J Sports Med 2001: 29 (4): 394–402. , , , , , .
- Immunohistological detection of relaxin binding to anterior cruciate ligaments. Orthopedics 2003: 26 (12): 1201–1204. , , , .
- Regulation of the human relaxin genes H1 and H2 by steroid hormones. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2004: 219 (1–2): 115–125. , , , , .
- Relaxin, its receptor (RXFP1), and insulin-like peptide 4 expression through gestation and in placenta accreta. Reprod Sci 2013: 20 (8): 968–980. , , , .
- Serum collagenase levels in relation to the state of the human cervix during pregnancy and labor [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.]. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1992: 167 (5): 1284–1288. , , , , .
- Signaling pathways weigh in on decisions to make or break skeletal muscle [Review]. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2004: 7 (4): 443–450. .
- Mid-trimester serum relaxin concentrations and post-partum pelvic floor dysfunction [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2008: 87 (12): 1315–1321. , , .
- Relaxin and beta-estradiol modulate targeted matrix degradation in specific synovial joint fibrocartilages: progesterone prevents matrix loss [Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Arthritis Res Ther 2006: 8 (4): R98. doi: 10.1186/ar1978. , , , , , .
- Influence of pregnancy on gene expression in rabbit articular cartilage [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 1998: 6 (5): 341–350. , , .
- Experimental relaxation of the pubic ligament of guinea pig. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1926: 23: 661–663. .
- Effects of relaxin and estrogens on bone remodeling markers, receptor activator of NF-kB ligand (RANKL) and osteoprotegerin (OPG), in rat adjuvant-induced arthritis [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Bone 2011: 48 (6): 1346–1353. , , , , .
- Relaxin stimulates collagenase and plasminogen activator secretion by dispersed human amnion and chorion cells in vitro [Comparative Study]. JCEM 1983: 56 (6): 1332–1334. , , , .
- Membrane receptors: structure and function of the relaxin family peptide receptors. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2010: 320 (1–2): 1–15. , , , , .
- Does human relaxin-2 affect peripheral blood mononuclear cells to increase inflammatory mediators in pathologic bone loss? Ann Ny Acad Sci 2005: 1041 (1): 317–319. , , , .
- Reproductive hormones and aminoterminal propeptide of type III procollagen in serum as early markers of pelvic pain during late pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1999: 180 (1 Pt 1): 128–134. , , .
- On the mechanism of relaxin action: the involvement of adenylyl cyclase signalling system. Regul Pept 1999: 80 (1-2): 33–39. , , , , .
- Disturbance of regulation of NO synthase activity by peptides of insulin family in rat skeletal muscles in streptozotocin model of neonatal type 2 diabetes mellitus. Dokl Biochem Biophys 2010: 432 (1): 123–125. , , , , .
- The use of relaxin improves healing in injured muscle [Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.]. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2005: 1041: 395–397. , , , , .
- Immunohistochemical detection of relaxin binding to the volar oblique ligament [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. J Hand Surg [Am] 2006: 31 (1): 80–84. , , , .
- Serum relaxin and pelvic pain of pregnancy [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Lancet 1986: 2 (8501): 243–245. , , , .
- Characterization of the relationship between joint laxity and maternal hormones in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2003: 101 (2): 331–335. , , , , , .
- Transforming growth factor-beta induces skeletal muscle atrophy and fibrosis through the induction of atrogin-1 and scleraxis. Muscle Nerve 2012: 45 (1): 55–59. , , , , , .
- Role of cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 in satellite cell proliferation, differentiation, and fusion. Muscle Nerve 2004: 30 (4): 497–500. , , .
- Expression of relaxin receptor LRG7, canine relaxin, and relaxin-like factor in the pelvic diaphragm musculature of dogs with and without perineal hernia. Vet Surg 2005: 34 (5): 476–481. , , , , , , .
- Identification of specific relaxin-binding cells in the cervix, mammary glands, nipples, small intestine, and skin of pregnant pigs [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Biol Reprod 1996: 55 (6): 1243–1252. , .
- Relaxin regulates MMP expression and promotes satellite cell mobilization during muscle healing in both young and aged mice. Am J Pathol 2010: 177 (5): 2399–2410. , , , , .
- Pelvic development as affected by relaxin in three genetically selected frame sizes of beef heifers. Biol Reprod 1986: 34: 363–369. , , , .
- Relaxin's induction of metalloproteinases is associated with the loss of collagen and glycosaminoglycans in synovial joint fibrocartilaginous explants. Arthritis Res Ther 2005: 7 (1): 1–11. , , , , , .
- The effect of relaxin treatment on skeletal muscle injuries. Am J Sports Med 2005: 33 (12): 1816–1824. , , , , .
- Effect of pregnancy on joint contracture in the rat knee [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. J Appl Physiol 2002: 92 (4): 1494–1498. , , , , , , .
- Serum relaxin levels affect the in vivo properties of some but not all tendons in normally menstruating young women. Exp Physiol 2011: 96 (7): 681–688. , , .
- Effect of porcine relaxin on cervical dilatation, pelvic area and parturition in beef heifers. Biol Reprod 1982: 26 (4): 765–776. , .
- Adenylyl cyclase signaling mechanisms of relaxin and insulin action: similarities and differences. Cell Biol Int 2006: 30 (6): 533–540. , , , , .
- Normal serum relaxin in women with disabling pelvic pain during pregnancy. Gynecol Obstet Invest 1994: 38 (1): 21–23. , , .
- Effects of relaxin on rat atrial myocytes. I. Inhibition of I(to) via PKA-dependent phosphorylation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 1997: 272 (4): H1791–H1797. , , .
- Structural and functional organization of the adenylyl cyclase signaling mechanism of insulin-like growth factor 1 revealed in the muscle tissue in vertebrates and invertebrates. Zh Evol Biokhim Fiziol 2008: 44 (5): 459–466. , , , , .
- An autocrine/paracrine role of human decidual relaxin. I. Interstitial collagenase (matrix metalloproteinase-1) and tissue plasminogen activator [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.]. Biol Reprod 1997: 56 (4): 800–811. , , , , .
- Effects of relaxin, pregnancy and parturition on collagen metabolism in the rat pubic symphysis. J Endocrinol 1998: 159 (1): 117–125. , , .
- Effects of relaxin in a model of rat adjuvant-induced arthritis [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2005: 1041: 481–485. , , , , .
- Mechanisms of pathological scarring: role of myofibroblasts and current developments. Wound Repair Regen 2011: 19: s10–s15. , , , , .
- Improvement of muscle healing through enhancement of muscle regeneration and prevention of fibrosis. Muscle Nerve 2003: 28 (3): 365–372. , , , , , , , , .
- Persistent pelvic pain and pelvic joint instability. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 1991: 41 (3): 197–201. .
- Peripheral joint laxity increases in pregnancy but does not correlate with serum relaxin levels. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996: 174 (2): 667–671. , , , , , .
- The different ligand-binding modes of relaxin family peptide receptors RXFP1 and RXFP2. Mol Endocrinol 2012: 26 (11): 1896–1906. , , .
- Sherwood OD. Relaxin. In: Knobil E, Neill J, eds. The physiology of reproduction. New York: Raven, 1994: 2: 861–1009.
- Sherwood OD, ed. Relaxin and related peptides. New York: Springer Science, 2005: 1041.
- The physiological effects of relaxin during pregnancy: studies in rats and pigs. Oxf Rev Reprod Biol 1993: 15: 143–189. , , , , , .
- Study of molecular mechanisms of the relaxin action on adenylyl cyclase signaling system using synthetic peptides derived from the relaxin receptor LGR7. Neurosci Behav Physiol 2006a: 92 (5): 521–535. , , , , , , .
- Peptide derivatives of the LGR7 relaxin receptor control the functional activity of relaxin-sensitive adenylate cyclase [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Dokl Biochem Biophys 2006b: 407: 109–112. , , , , , , .
- Functional coupling of hormone receptors with G proteins in the adenylate cyclase system of the rat muscle tissues and brain under conditions of short-term hyperglycemia [In Vitro Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Bull Exp Biol Med 2007a: 144 (5): 684–688. , , , , .
- Role of phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase and protein kinase Cζ in the adenylate cyclase signal mechanism of action of relaxin in muscle tissues of rats and mollusks. Bull Exp Biol Med 2004: 138 (4): 372–375. , , , .
- Reactivity of the adenylyl cyclase system in rat tissues to biogenic amines and peptide hormones under starvation condition. Ross Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova 2007b: 93 (4): 345–356. , , , .
- The menstrual cycle, sex hormones, and anterior cruciate ligament injury. J Athl Train 2002: 37 (3): 275–278. , , , , , , .
- Relaxin-3 systems in the brain – the first 10 years [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't Review]. J Chem Neuroanat 2011: 42 (4): 262–275. , , , , .
- Physiology of nitric oxide in skeletal muscle [Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S. Review]. Physiol Rev 2001: 81 (1): 209–237. , .
- Transmission of relaxin and estrogens to suckling canine pups via milk and possible association with hip joint laxity. Am J Vet Res 2008: 69 (1): 59–67. , , , , , .
- Roles of the receptor, the ligand, and the cell in the signal transduction pathways utilized by the relaxin family peptide receptors 1-3 [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2009: 1160: 99–104. , , , , .
- Fibroblasts from the growing margin of keloid scars produce higher levels of collagen I and III compared with intralesional and extralesional sites: clinical implications for lesional site-directed therapy. Br J Dermatol 2011: 164 (1): 83–96. , , , , , .
- Anterior cruciate ligament injuries in the female athlete [Review]. J Gend Specif Med 2001: 4 (4): 25–34. , .
- Inguinal hernia in patients with congenital dislocation of the hip. A sign of general connective tissue disorder [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. Acta Orthop Scand 1988: 59 (6): 667–668. , .
- Dual blockade of PKA and NF–κB inhibits H2 relaxin-mediated castrate-resistant growth of prostate cancer sublines and induces apoptosis. Horm Cancer 2011: 2 (4): 224–238. , , , , , , , , .
- Decreased expression of the rat myometrial relaxin receptor (RXFP1) in late pregnancy is partially mediated by the presence of the conceptus. Biol Reprod 2010: 83 (5): 818–824. , , , , .
- Serum relaxin in the newborn is not a marker of neonatal hip instability. J Pediatr Orthoped 1998: 18 (4): 535–537. , , .
- Diminished type III collagen promotes myofibroblast differentiation and increases scar deposition in cutaneous wound healing. Cells Tissues Organs 2011: 194 (1): 25–37. , , , , .
- Association between the serum levels of relaxin and responses to the active straight leg raise test in pregnancy. Man Ther 2012: 17 (3): 225–230. , , .
- Female hormone receptors are differentially expressed in mouse fibrocartilages [Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural]. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2009: 17 (5): 646–654. , , .
- An x-ray pelvimetric study of relaxin extract in pelvic expansion. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1956: 103 (3): 303–306. .
- Regulatory influence of relaxin on human cervical and uterine connective tissue. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1984: 106 (1): 127–132. , , , .
- The effect of the menstrual cycle on anterior cruciate ligament injuries in women as determined by hormone levels. Am J Sports Med 2002: 30 (2): 182–188. , , , , .
- Relationship of serum relaxin to generalized and trapezial-metacarpal joint laxity. J Hand Surg [Am] 2013: 38 (4): 721–728. , , , , , .
- Tendon creep is potentiated by NKISK and relaxin which produce collagen fiber sliding. Iowa Orthop J 2003: 23: 75–79. , , , .
- Serum levels of relaxin during the menstrual cycle and oral contraceptive use. Gynecol Obstet Invest 1995: 39 (3): 197–200. , , , , .