Increased risk of atrial fibrillation among elderly Norwegian men with a history of long-term endurance sport practice
Article first published online: 21 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
Volume 24, Issue 4, pages e238–e244, August 2014
How to Cite
Myrstad, M., Løchen, M.-L., Graff-Iversen, S., Gulsvik, A. K., Thelle, D. S., Stigum, H. and Ranhoff, A. H. (2014), Increased risk of atrial fibrillation among elderly Norwegian men with a history of long-term endurance sport practice. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 24: e238–e244. doi: 10.1111/sms.12150
- Issue published online: 16 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 21 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 OCT 2013
- Diakonhjemmet Hospital
- The Kavli Research Center for Ageing and Dementia
- Norwegian EXTRAFoundation for Health and Rehabilitation
- Is the risk of atrial fibrillation higher in athletes than in the general population? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Europace 2009: 11: 1156–1159. , .
- Relation of vigorous exercise to risk of atrial fibrillation. Am J Cardiol 2009: 103: 1572–1577. , , , , , .
- Risk of arrhythmias in 52 755 long-distance cross-country skiers: a cohort study. Eur Heart J 2013: doi:10.1093/eurheartj/eht188 , , , , , , .
- Atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter in athletes. Br J Sports Med 2012: 46 (Suppl 1): i37–i43. , , , .
- ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG). 2012 focused update of the ESC guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: an update of the 2010 ESC guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation. Eur Heart J 2012: 33 (21): 2719–2747. , , , , , , , ;
- The Danish National Health Survey 2010. Study design and respondents characteristics. Scand J Public Health 2012: 40: 391–397. , , , , , , , , .
- Does long-lasting sports practice increase the risk of atrial fibrillation in healthy middle-aged men? Weak suggestions, no objective evidence. J Cardiovasc Med 2012: 13: 381–385. , , .
- Sport practice and the risk of lone atrial fibrillation: a case-control study. Int J Cardiol 2006: 108: 332–337. , , , , , , , .
- Does a variation in self-reported physical activity reflect variation in objectively measured physical activity, resting heart rate, and physical fitness? Results from the Tromsø study. Scand J Public Health 2010: 38 (5 Suppl): 105–118. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Stepwise screening of atrial fibrillation in a 75-year old population: implications for stroke prevention. Circulation 2013: 127 (8): 930–937. , , , .
- Overweight and obesity as risk factors for atrial fibrillation and flutter: the Danish Diet, Cancer, and Health Study. Am J Med 2005: 118: 489–495. , , .
- Atrial fibrillation, physical activity and endurance training. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 2012: 132: 295–299. , , , , , , .
- High prevalence of atrial fibrillation in long-term endurance cross-country skiers: echocardiographic findings and possible predictors – a 28–30 years follow-up study. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 2010: 17: 100–105. , , , .
- Ageing, physical activity and mortality – a 42-year follow-up study. Eur J Epidemiol 2011: 26 (3): 221–228. , , , , , .
- Prevalence, incidence and lifetime risk of atrial fibrillation: the Rotterdam Study. Eur Heart J 2006: 27 (8): 949–953. , , , , , , , , .
- Cohort profile: the Tromsø study. Int J Epidemiol 2012: 41: 961–967. , , , , .
- Lone atrial fibrillation in vigorously exercising middle aged men: case-control study. BMJ 1998: 316: 1784–1785. , , , , .
- Comprehensive risk reduction in patients with atrial fibrillation: emerging diagnostic and therapeutic options – a report from the 3rd Atrial Fibrillation Competence NETwork/European Heart Rhythm Association consensus conference. Europace 2012: 14 (1): 8–27. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- The health status of nonparticipants in a population-based health study. The Hordaland study. Am J Epidemiol 2010: 172: 1306–1314. , , , , .
- Five-year follow-up of ECG aberrations, latent coronary heart disease and cardiopulmonary fitness in various age groups of Norwegian cross-country skiers. Acta Med Scand 1984: 216: 377–383. , .
- Long-term endurance sport practice increases the incidence of lone atrial fibrillation in men: a follow-up study. Europace 2008: 10: 618–623. , , , , , , , .
- GIRAFA (Grup Integrat de Recerca en Fibril-lació Auricular) Investigators. Physical activity, height, and left atrial size are independent risk factors for lone atrial fibrillation in middle-aged healthy individuals. Europace 2008: 11: 15–20. , , , , , , , , , , ;
- Physical activity and incidence of atrial fibrillation in older adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study. Circulation 2008: 118: 800–807. , , , .
- Association of physical activity and atrial fibrillation. J Phys Act Health 2012: 9: 605–616. , , , .
- Palpitations are predictive of future atrial fibrillation. An 11-year follow-up of 22,815 men and women: the Tromsø Study. Eur J Prev Cardiol 2013: 20: 729–736. , , , , .
- Cardiovascular damage resulting from chronic excessive endurance exercise. Mo Med 2012: 109: 312–321. , , , , , .
- Physiological effects of physical conditioning. In: Hansen AT, Schnohr P, Rose G, eds. Ischaemic heart disease: the strategy of postponement. Chicago, IL: Year Book Medical Publishers, 1977: 104–115. .
- Physiological analysis of middle-aged and old former athletes. Comparison with still active athletes of the same ages. Circulation 1968: 38: 1104–1115. , .
- Resting heart rate and physical activity as risk factors for lone atrial fibrillation: a prospective study of 309 540 men and women. Heart 2013: 99: 1755–1760. , , , , , , , .
- Quantification of the healthy worker effect: a nationwide cohort study among electricians in Denmark. BMC Public Health 2011: 11: 571. , , , .
- Atrial fibrillation in Athletes. Am J Cardiol 2012: 109: 296–302. , , .
- Atrial fibrillation and antithrombotic therapy in a 75-year-old population. Cardiology 2008: 109 (4): 258–262. , , , .
- Atrial fibrillation in endurance athletes. Eur J Prev Cardiol 2013: doi:10.1177/2047487313476414 .