Can parallel use of different running shoes decrease running-related injury risk?
Article first published online: 28 NOV 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons A/S. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 110–115, February 2015
How to Cite
Malisoux, L., Ramesh, J., Mann, R., Seil, R., Urhausen, A. and Theisen, D. (2015), Can parallel use of different running shoes decrease running-related injury risk?. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 25: 110–115. doi: 10.1111/sms.12154
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 28 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 OCT 2013
- National Research Fund. Grant Number: 1189878
- Running in a minimalist and lightweight shoe is not the same as running barefoot: a biomechanical study. Br J Sports Med 2013: 47: 387–392. , , , , , .
- Occurrence of running injuries in adults following a supervised training program. Int J Sports Med 1989: 10 (Suppl 3): S186–S190. , , , , , .
- The GRONORUN 2 study: effectiveness of a preconditioning program on preventing running related injuries in novice runners. The design of a randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2010: 11: 196. , , .
- Overuse injuries, overtraining, and burnout in child and adolescent athletes. Pediatrics 2007: 119: 1242–1245. .
- Incidence and risk factors of running-related injuries during preparation for a 4-mile recreational running event. Br J Sports Med 2010: 44: 598–604. , , , , , .
- Suspected mechanisms in the cause of overuse running injuries: a clinical review. Sports Health 2009: 1: 242–246. , , .
- Monitoring training in athletes with reference to overtraining syndrome. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1998: 30: 1164–1168. .
- A framework for recording recurrences, reinjuries, and exacerbations in injury surveillance. Clin J Sport Med 2007: 17: 197–200. , , , .
- Consensus statement on injury definitions and data collection procedures in studies of football (soccer) injuries. Br J Sports Med 2006: 40: 193–201. , , , , , , , , .
- International Rugby Board Rugby World Cup 2007 injury surveillance study. Br J Sports Med 2008: 42: 452–459. , , , .
- Impact reduction through long-term intervention in recreational runners: midfoot strike pattern versus low-drop/low-heel height footwear. Eur J Appl Physiol 2013: 113: 2077–2090. , , , , .
- Impact and overuse injuries in runners. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2004: 36: 845–849. .
- Injuries to runners: a study of entrants to a 10,000 meter race. Am J Sports Med 1986: 14: 151–155. , .
- Running in new and worn shoes: a comparison of three types of cushioning footwear. Br J Sports Med 2009: 43: 745–749. , , .
- Foot strike patterns and collision forces in habitually barefoot versus shod runners. Nature 2010: 463: 531–536. , , , , , , , .
- Injuries in runners. Am J Sports Med 1987: 15: 168–171. , .
- Lower extremity injuries in runners. Advances in prediction. Sports Med 1992: 13: 50–57. .
- Predicting lower-extremity injuries among habitual runners. Arch Intern Med 1989: 149: 2565–2568. , , , , , .
- Monitoring of sport participation and injury risk in young athletes. J Sci Med Sport 2013: 16: 504–508. , , , , .
- On the epidemiology of running injuries. The 1984 Bern Grand-Prix study. Am J Sports Med 1988: 16: 285–294. , , , .
- Etiologic factors associated with patellofemoral pain in runners. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1991: 23: 1008–1015. , , , , .
- Training errors and running related injuries: a systematic review. Int J Sports Phys Ther 2012: 7: 58–75. , , , , .
- Shoe midsole hardness, sex and age effects on lower extremity kinematics during running. J Biomech 2012: 45: 1692–1697. , , , .
- Effects of footwear and strike type on running economy. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2012: 44: 1335–1343. , , .
- Are old running shoes detrimental to your feet? A pedobarographic study. BMC Res Notes 2011: 4: 307. , .
- Risk factors for injuries and other health problems sustained in a marathon. Br J Sports Med 1999: 33: 22–26. , , , .
- Influence of midsole hardness of standard cushioned shoes on running-related injury risk: a double-blind randomised controlled trial. Br J Sports Med 2013: doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2013-092613 , , , , , .
- Incidence and determinants of lower extremity running injuries in long distance runners: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med 2007: 41: 469–480; discussion 480. , , , , , .
- Running injuries. A review of the epidemiological literature. Sports Med 1992: 14: 320–335. .
- Altering muscle activity in the lower extremities by running with different shoes. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2002: 34: 1529–1532. , , .
- The Ontario cohort study of running-related injuries. Arch Intern Med 1989: 149: 2561–2564. , , , .
- Differences in plantar loading between training shoes and racing flats at a self-selected running speed. Gait Posture 2009: 29: 514–519. , , , , , .