Of cows and men: Nationalism and Australian cow making
Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2014
© 2014 Australian Anthropological Society
The Australian Journal of Anthropology
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 73–90, April 2014
How to Cite
Fozdar, F. and Spittles, B. (2014), Of cows and men: Nationalism and Australian cow making. The Australian Journal of Anthropology, 25: 73–90. doi: 10.1111/taja.12067
- Issue online: 12 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2014
- Australian Research Council Future. Grant Number: FT100100432
- ABC 2011a ‘A bloody business’, Four Corners May 30 <http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2011/s3228880.htm>, accessed 15 July 2011.
- ABC 2011b Question 740—Should live cattle exports be banned? The Drum: Analysis and Views on the Issues of the Day <http://www.abc.net.au/thedrum/polls/>, accessed 15 July 2011.
- ABC 2011c Taxes, leaders and the Greens. Q & A June 27 <http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s3248763.htm>, accessed 10 July 2011.
- ABC 2011d Australian government bans live cattle exports to Indonesia. ABC Asia Pacific News Centre June 8 <http://australianetworknews.com/stories/201106/3238217.htm?desktop>, accessed 15 July 2011.
- ABC 2011e Queensland's first Greens Senator ready to take her place. ABC News: 7.30 Queensland June 24 <http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/06/24/3253205.htm>, accessed 15 July 2011.
- ABC 2011f Warning that Indonesia could go elsewhere for live cattle. ABC Rural June 3 <http://www.abc.net.au/rural/news/content/201106/s3234565.htm>, accessed 15 July 2011.
- ABC 2011g Katter ‘filled with anger’ over export mismanagement. Lateline June 8 <http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2011/s3239277.htm>, accessed 15 July 2011.
- 2011 That's not halal killing: Indonesian cleric joins attack on cattle slaughter. The Australian June 1 <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/thats-not-halal-killing-indonesian-cleric-joins-attack-on-cattle-slaughter/story-fn59niix-1226066813585>, accessed 18 July 2011. ,
- 2011 Slaughterhouse operator apologises for cruelty. Sydney Morning Herald June 2 <http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/slaughterhouse-operator-apologises-for-cruelty-20110601-1fgrl.html?from=smh_sb>, accessed 18 July 2011.
- 2000 Intertextuality. London: Routledge.
- 1983 Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism. London: Verso.
- 2010 Editorial: Why no borders? in No Borders as a Practical Political Project, B. Anderson, N. Sharma, C. Wright (eds) Refuge 26: 2. , ,
- 2011 A comparison of empathy for humans and empathy for animals, Anthrozoos: A Multidisciplinary Journal on the Interactions of People, Animals, and Environment 24(4): 369–77. , , .
- 1973 The Origins of Totalitarianism. New York: Harcourt Brace.
- Australian Associated Press 2011 Indonesians brand cattle ban ‘discrimination’ as diplomatic tensions grow. Sydney Morning Herald June 8 <http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/indonesians-brand-cattle-ban-discrimination-as-diplomatic-tensions-grow-20110608-1fshu.html>, accessed 15 July 2011.
- 2006 Cosmopolitan Vision. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Bhabha H. (ed.) 2000 Nation and Narration. London: Routledge.
- 1995 Banal Nationalism. London: Sage Publications.
- 2007 Nations Matter: Culture, History, and the Cosmopolitan Dream. New York: Routledge.
- 2001 Naturing the nation: Aliens, apocalypse, and the postcolonial state, Journal of Southern African Studies 27(3): 627–51. and
- Commonwealth of Australia 1999 Enterprise Manual Saleyards and Transport. Canberra: Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
- Commonwealth of Australia 2011 Australian Standards for the Export of Livestock (Version 2.3) 2011 and Australian Position Statement on the Export of Livestock. Canberra: Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
- 2007 Constructions of racism in the Australian parliamentary debates on asylum seekers, Discourse & Society 18: 411–36. and
- 1993 Discourse and Social Change. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- 2012 Aussie cows and asylum seekers: Cartooning about two key political issues. presented at the 13th Biennial GASt Conference, Visualizing Australia: Images, Icons and Imaginations—Representing the Continent at Home and Abroad, September 27–29, 2012, Stuttgart, Germany.
- 2009 The Australian citizenship test: Process and rhetoric, The Australian Journal of Politics and History 55(4): 496–512. and
- 2006 Animal Nation: The True Story of Animals and Australia. Sydney: UNSW Press.
- Grain Trade Australia 2010 Australian Cattle Trade Rules. Sydney: Grain Trade Australia.
- 2011 Slaughter suspension over Indonesian cattle cruelty. The Age May 28: 6.
- 2002 The Postnational Self: Belonging and Identity. Minnesota: University of Minnesota Press. and
- Herald Sun 2011 50/50: Grand prix, cows and Katich. Herald Sun June 10 <http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/grand-prix-cows-and-katich/story-fn6bn88w-1226072576500>, accessed 16 July 2011.
- 2007 Culturalising the abject: Islam, law and moral panic in the West, Australian Journal of Social Issues 42(1): 9–25.
- 1997 The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- 2011 Ocean to Outback: Cosmopolitanism in Contemporary Australia. Perth: University of Western Australia Publishing. and
- 2007 John Howard's ‘values’ and Australian identity, Australian Journal of Political Science 42(2): 195–209.
- 2011 Unseen graphic cattle footage sent to Julia Gillard. Herald Sun June 7 <http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/unseen-graphic-cattle-footage-sent-to-julia-gillard/story-fn7x8me2-1226070715212>, accessed 16 July 2011.
- 2004 The retreat of multiculturalism in the liberal state: Theory and policy, The British Journal of Sociology 55(2): 237–57.
- 2007 From White Australia to Woomera: The Story of Australian Immigration. Port Melbourne: Cambridge University Press.
- 2004 Muslims in Australia: Immigration, Race Relations and Cultural History. London: Kegan Paul.
- 2009 The Sociology of Cosmopolitanism. London: Palgrave. , and
- 2011 Three wise men visit 666 Afternoons to discuss the ritual slaughter of animals. 666 ABC Canberra June 1 <http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/06/01/3232531.htm>, accessed 17 July 2011.
- 2011a Statement from Senator the Hon. Joe Ludwig—Four Corners. Senator the Hon. Joe Ludwig: Media Releases May 30 <http://maff.gov.au/media_office/media_releases/media_releases/2011/may/statement-from-senator-hon-joe-ludwig-four-corners>, accessed 17 July 2011.
- 2011b Export Control (Export of Live-stock to the Republic of Indonesia) Order 2011. Australian Government: ComLaw June 7 <http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011L00969>, accessed 17 July 2011.
- 2011c Mr Bill Farmer AO to conduct independent review into live export trade. Senator the Hon. Joe Ludwig: Media Releases June 13 <http://maff.gov.au/media_office/media_releases/media_releases/2011/June/mr-bill-farmer-ao-to-conduct-independent-review-into-live-export-trade>, accessed 17 July 2011.
- 2011d Export Control Repeal Order 2011. Australian Government: ComLaw July 6 <http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011L00930>, accessed 17 July 2011.
- 2004 Sending Them Home: Refugees and the New Politics of Indifference, Quarterly Essay 13. Melbourne: Black Inc. and
- 2007 Acting from the Heart: Australian Advocates for Asylum Seekers Tell Their Stories. Sydney: Finch Publishing. and (eds)
- 2011 Cruelty in abattoirs outrages Australia. The National June 5 <http://www.thenational.ae/news/worldwide/cruelty-in-abattoirs-outrages-australia>, accessed 17 July 2011.
- 2012 An inventory of Australian public opinion surveys. Mapping Social Cohesion 2013: The Scanlon Foundation Surveys National Report <http://arts.monash.edu.au/mapping-population/inventory-of-surveys.php>, accessed 14 November 2012.
- Meat and Livestock Australia 2006 Development of a Manual of Yard Plans for South-East Asian Abattoirs. Sydney: Meat and Livestock Australia.
- 1990 Rednecks, roos and racism: Kangaroo shooting and the Australian way, Social Analysis: The International Journal of Social and Cultural Practice 27: 30–49.
- 2009 Kiwis against possums: A critical analysis of anti-possum rhetoric in Aotearoa New Zealand, Society and Animals 17(1): 1–20.
- 2010 Islam and the Australian News Media. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press. , and (eds)
- Reuters 2011 ‘Cruelty’ row: Australia bans cattle exports to 11 Indonesia abattoirs. Arab News May 31 <http://arabnews.com/economy/article444215.ece>, accessed 17 July 2011.
- 2011 PM, Rudd take over live cattle crisis talks. The Australian June 30: 10.
- RSPCA n.d. What is kosher slaughter in Australia. Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals <http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-kosher-slaughter-in-Australia_117.html>, accessed 14 November 2012.
- 1977 Orientalism. London: Penguin.
- 1996 Losing Control. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 2006 Territory Authority Rights: From Medieval to Global Assemblages. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 1999 The howl and the pussy; feral cats and wild dogs in the Australian imagination, Australian Journal of Anthropology 10(3): 288–305.
- 2006 Thank your mother for the rabbits: Bilbies, bunnies & redemptive ecology, Australian Zoologist 33(3): 369–78.
- 2011 Blood and soil: Nature, native and nation in the Australian imaginary, Journal of Australian Studies 35(1): 1–18.
- 2012 Animals, in (eds) P. Beilharzand, T. Hogan Sociology: Antipodean Perspectives. South Melbourne: Oxford University Press, pp. 283–7. ,
- 1994 Limits of Citizenship: Migrants and Postnational Membership in Europe. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2009 John Howard's ‘nation’ and citizenship test: Multiculturalism, citizenship and identity, Australian Journal of Politics and History 55(1): 97–120.
- 1984 Studies in the Theory of Ideology. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- 1990 Ideology and Modern Culture. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- 2008 Indigeneity, ferality, and what ‘belongs’ in the Australian bush: Aboriginal responses to ‘introduced’ animals and plants in a settler-descendant society, Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 14(3): 628–46.
- 2010 The Multicultural Backlash: European Discourses, Policies and Practices. London: Routledge. and (eds)
- 2009 The Discursive Construction of National Identity (2nd revised edition). EUP: Edinburgh. , , and
- Yasmeen S. (ed.) 2010 Muslims in Australia: The Dynamics of Exclusion and Inclusion. Carlton: Melbourne University Press.
- 2011 The Politics of Belonging: Intersectional Contestations. Los Angeles: Sage.
- 2006 Introduction, in (eds) N. Yuval-Davis, K. Sannabiran, U. Vieten The Situated Politics of Belonging. London: Sage, pp. 1–14. , ,