Nutritional supplementation: the additional costs of managing children infected with HIV in resource-constrained settings
Article first published online: 29 OCT 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 45–52, January 2013
How to Cite
Cobb, G. and Bland, R. M. (2013), Nutritional supplementation: the additional costs of managing children infected with HIV in resource-constrained settings. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 45–52. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12006
- Issue published online: 24 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 29 OCT 2012
- 2008) High HIV incidence in a community with high HIV prevalence in rural South Africa: findings from a prospective population-based study. AIDS, 22, 139–144. , , , , , et al. (
- 2008) What works? Interventions for maternal and child undernutrition and survival. Lancet, 371, 417–440. , , et al. (
- 2008) Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences. Lancet, 371, 243–260. , , et al. (
- 2007) Clinical outcomes and CD4 cell response in children receiving antiretroviral therapy at primary health care facilities in Zambia. JAMA, 298, 1888–1899. , , et al. (
- 2005) Comparison of home-based therapy with ready-to-use therapeutic food with standard therapy in the treatment of malnourished Malawian children: a controlled, clinical effectiveness trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 81, 864–870. , , et al. (
- 2009) Outcomes of the South African National Antiretroviral Treatment Programme for children: the IeDEA Southern Africa collaboration. South African Medical Journal, 99, 730–737. , , et al. (
- 2010) Anthropometry as a tool for measuring malnutrition: impact of the new WHO growth standards and reference. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics, 30, 1–17. (
- 2009) Nutritional recovery in HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected children with severe acute malnutrition. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 94, 512–516. , , , , & (
- 2004) Detection of severe protein-energy malnutrition by nurses in The Gambia. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 89, 181–184. , , & (
- 2005) Outcome of HIV infected children with culture confirmed tuberculosis. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 90, 1171–1174. , , et al. (
- 2010a) Cohort profile: Hlabisa HIV treatment and care programme. International Journal of Epidemiology, 40, 318–326. , , et al. (
- 2010b) The tuberculosis challenge in a rural South African HIV programme. BMC Infectious Diseases, 10, 23. , , , , & (
- 2012) Prompt initiation of ART With therapeutic food is associated with improved outcomes in HIV-infected Malawian children with malnutrition. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 59, 173–176. , , et al. (
- 2004) Home based therapy for severe malnutrition with ready-to-use food. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 89, 557–561. , , , & (
- 2008) Trends in Economic Status of Households in the ACDIS: Monograph Series Number 3. Africa Centre for Health and Population Studies, South Africa. www.africacentre.com. (
- 2005) Competence of maternal and child health clinic workers in detecting malnutrition in Somalia. African Health Sciences, 5, 319–321. (
- South African Dept of Health (2010) Guidelines for the Management of HIV in Children, 2nd edn. National Department of Health, South Africa.http:/www.hivfshealth.org/document/2010/08/19/guidelines-for-the-management-of-hiv-in-children-2nd-edition-2010.
- 2008) Effectiveness of antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected children in sub-Saharan Africa. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 8, 477–489. , , , & (
- 2011) Weight and height z-scores improve after initiating ART among HIV-infected children in rural Zambia: a cohort study. BMC Infectious Diseases, 11, 54. , , et al. (
- 2008) High uptake of HIV testing for tuberculosis patients in an integrated primary health care HIV/TB programme in rural KwaZulu-Natal. South African Medical Journal, 100, 146–147. , , , , & (
- 2008) Acute malnutrition in Latin America: the challenge of ending avoidable deaths. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 47(Suppl. 1), S10–S14. & (
- WHO (1986) Use and interpretation of anthropometric indicators of nutritional status. Bulletin of the World Health Organisation, 64, 929–941.
- WHO (1999) Management of Severe Malnutrition: A Manual for Physicians and Other Senior Health Workers. WHO Library Cataloguing in Publication Data, Geneva.
- WHO (2006) Antiretroviral therapy of HIV infection in infants and children in resource limited settings: Towards universal access 2006. Available from: https://www.who.int/entity/hiv/pub/guidelines/art/en/index.html.
- WHO (2009) Guidelines for an Integrated Approach to Nutritional Care of HIV-Infected Children (6 month–14 years). World Health Organization, Geneva. http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/hivaids/9789241597524/en/
- World Health Organization, United Nations Children's Fund (2009) WHO child growth standards and the identification of severe acute malnutrition in infants and children. http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/severemalnutrition/9789241598163/en/index.html.