Local use of geographic information systems to improve data utilisation and health services: mapping caesarean section coverage in rural Rwanda
Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 18–26, January 2013
How to Cite
Sudhof, L., Amoroso, C., Barebwanuwe, P., Munyaneza, F., Karamaga, A., Zambotti, G., Drobac, P. and Hirschhorn, L. R. (2013), Local use of geographic information systems to improve data utilisation and health services: mapping caesarean section coverage in rural Rwanda. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 18–26. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12016
- Issue online: 24 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2012
- 2010) Population uptake of antiretroviral treatment through primary care in rural South Africa. BMC Public Health 10, 585–593. , , & (
- 2009) The impact of distance of residence from a peripheral health facility on pediatric health utilization in rural western Kenya. Tropical Medicine and International Health 14, 54–61. , , et al. (
- 2011) Free and simple GIS as appropriate for health mapping in a low resource setting: a case study in eastern Indonesia. International Journal of Health Geographics 10, 15–25. & (
- 2007) Information for decision making from imperfect national data: tracking major changes in health care use in Kenya using geostatistics. BMC Medicine 5, 37–45. , , et al. (
- 2004) Investigating access to reproductive health services using GIS: proximity to services and the use of modern contraceptives in Malawi. African Journal of Reproductive Health 8, 164–179. , & (
- 2007) Estimates of maternal mortality worldwide between 1990 and 2005: an assessment of available data. Lancet 370, 1311–1319. , , et al. (
- 2010) Maternal mortality for 181 countries, 1980–2008: a systematic analysis of progress towards Millennium Development Goal 5. Lancet 375, 1609–1623. , , et al. (
- 2008) Access to and utilisation of health services for the poor in Uganda: a systematic review of available evidence. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 102, 1067–1074. , , et al. (
- Minnesota Population Center (2011) Integrated Public Use Microdata Series, International: Version 6.1. Available at: www.international.ipums.org/international (accessed 10 April 2011).
- 2011) Using Geographic Information Systems to Support HIV Care in Rwanda. Poster session presented at: 6th International Conference for Research and Exchange on HIV and AIDS; Jun 9–10; Kigali, Rwanda. , , et al. (
- National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR) [Rwanda], Ministry of Health (MOH) [Rwanda], and ICF International (2011). Rwanda Demographic and Health Survey 2010. NISR, MOH, and ICF International, Calverton, MD, USA.
- Institut National de la Statistique du Rwanda (INSR) and ORC Macro (2006) Rwanda Demographic and Health Survey 2005. INSR and ORC Macro, Calverton, MD.
- Ministry of Health (MOH) [Rwanda], National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR), and ICF Macro (2009) Rwanda Interim Demographic and Health Survey 2007–08. MOH, NISR, and ICF Macro, Calverton, MD.
- National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR) [Rwanda], Ministry of Health (MOH) [Rwanda], and ICF International (2012) Rwanda Demographic and Health Survey 2010. NISR, MOH, and ICF International, Calverton, MD.
- 2003) Defining equity in physical access to clinical services using geographical information systems as part of malaria planning and monitoring in Kenya. Tropical Medicine and International Health 8, 917–926. , , , & (
- 2009) Insecticide-treated net coverage in Africa: mapping progress in 2000–07. Lancet 373, 58–67. , , , & (
- 2009) The impact of primary health care on malaria morbidity: defining access by disease burden. Tropical Medicine & International Health 14, 29–35. , , , , & (
- 2010) Emergency obstetrical complications in a rural African setting (Kayes, Mali): the link between travel time and in-hospital maternal mortality. Maternal and Child Health Journal 15, 1081–1087. , , , & (
- Rwandan Ministry of Health (2009) Health Sector Strategic Plan-II. Available at: http://www.usaid.gov/rw/our_work/for_partners/images/rwandahealthsectorstrategicplanii.pdf (accessed 9 September 2011).
- 2001) New approaches to spatially analyse primary health care usage patterns in rural South Africa. Tropical Medicine and International Health 6, 826–838. , , & (
- 2010) AfriPop Demography: Women of Child-Bearing Age 2010. Available at: http://www.afripop.org/ (accessed 10 September 2012). (
- US Census Bureau (2009) International DataBase. Available at: http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idb/country.php. (accessed 4 April 2011).
- 2009) Trends observed during a decade of paediatric sick visits to peripheral health facilities in rural Western Kenya, 1997–2006. Tropical Medicine & International Health 14, 62–69. , , et al. (
- World Bank (2009) World DataBank; Health Nutrition and Population Statistics. Available at: http://data.worldbank.org/country/rwanda (accessed 3 June 2011).
- World Health Organization, UNFPA, UNICEF, AMDD (2009) Monitoring emergency obstetric care: A handbook. Available at: http://www.unfpa.org/webdav/site/global/shared/documents/publications/2009/obstetric_monitoring.pdf. (accessed 4 April 2011).