Prevalence and aetiology of juvenile skeletal fluorosis in the south-west of the Hai district, Tanzania – a community-based prevalence and case–control study
Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 222–229, February 2013
How to Cite
Jarvis, H. G., Heslop, P., Kisima, J., Gray, W. K., Ndossi, G., Maguire, A. and Walker, R. W. (2013), Prevalence and aetiology of juvenile skeletal fluorosis in the south-west of the Hai district, Tanzania – a community-based prevalence and case–control study. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 222–229. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12027
- Issue online: 22 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2012
- Denis Burkitt Foundation
- Adult Morbidity and Mortality Project (AMMP) (2004) Policy Implications of Adult Morbidity and Mortality; final report. Available from: http://research.ncl.ac.uk/ammp/finrep/. Accessed 3rd April 2010.
- 2006) Fluoride in drinking water: a review on the status and stress effects. Critical Reviews in Environment Science and Technology 36, 433–487. & (
- 2003) Distribution and risk assessment of fluoride in drinking water in the west plain region of Jilin province, China. Environmental Geochemistry and Health 25, 421–431. , , , , & (
- 1997) Endemic fluorosis with genu valgum syndrome in a village of district Mandla, Madhya Pradesh. Indian Journal of Pediatrics 34, 232–236. , , & (
- 2001) Mechanism of degradation of the quality of natural water in the Lakes Region of the Ethiopian rift valley. Water Research 35, 2819–2832. , & (
- 1980) The spectrum of radiographic bone changes in children with fluorosis. Radiology 136, 85–90. (
- 2006) Fluoride in Drinking-Water: WHO Drinking-water Quality Series World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. , , , , & (
- 1988) Dental Fluorosis – A Handbook for Health Workers. Munksgaard, Copenhagen. , & (
- 1993) Studies on the leaching of fluoride in tea infusions. Science of the Total Environment 138, 213–221. , , , , & (
- 1993) Skeletal scintigraphic findings in endemic skeletal fluorosis. Nuclear Medicine Communications 14, 384–390. , , & (
- 1987) Endemic fluorosis in the Ethiopian Rift Valley. Tropical and Geographical Medicine 39, 209–217. , & (
- 1986) Skeletal fluorosis in humans: a review of recent progress in the understanding of the disease. Progress in Food & Nutrition Science 10, 279–314. (
- 1992) Dental fluorosis, altitude, and associated dietary factors (short communication). Caries Research 26, 65–67. , & (
- 1997) Dental fluorosis and the use of a high fluoride-containing trona tenderizer (magadi). Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 25, 170–176. , , & (
- Ministry of Water, Energy and Minerals (MAJI) (1974) Temporary Standards of Quality of Domestic Water Supply in Tanzania. Rural Water Supply Health Standards Committee, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- 1993) Radiological spectrum of endemic fluorosis: relationship with calcium intake. Skeletal Radiology 22, 257–261. , , , & (
- 1983) Dental caries, oral hygiene, periodontal disease and dental fluorosis among school children in northern Tanzania. Oral health surveys. Odonto-Stomatologie Tropicale 6, 149–156. & (
- 2003) Lower extremity abnormalities in children. American Family Physician 68, 461–468. & (
- 2010) Comparison of two village primary schools in northern Tanzania affected by fluorosis. International Health 2, 269–274. , , & (
- 1998) Endemic chronic fluoride toxicity and dietary calcium deficiency interaction syndromes of metabolic bone disease and deformities in India: year 2000. Indian Journal of Pediatrics 65, 371–381. , & (
- 1978) Clinical appearance of dental fluorosis in permanent teeth in relation to histologic changes. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 6, 315–328. & (
- UNICEF (1999) A future global agenda for children: the links with sanitation, hygiene, water and environment. Waterfront 13, 1–28. http://www.unicef.org/wash/files/wf13e.pdf (Accessed 5th January 2012).
- World Health Organization (2004) Guidelines for Drinking-Water Quality, 3rd edn. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.