Challenges of non-commercial multicentre North-South collaborative clinical trials
Article first published online: 10 DEC 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 237–241, February 2013
How to Cite
Ravinetto, R. M., Talisuna, A., De Crop, M., van Loen, H., Menten, J., Van Overmeir, C., Tinto, H., Gonzalez, R., Meremikwu, M., Nabasuma, C., Ngoma, G. M., Karema, C., Adoke, Y., Chaponda, M., Van geertruyden, J.-P. and D'Alessandro, U. (2013), Challenges of non-commercial multicentre North-South collaborative clinical trials. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 237–241. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12036
- Issue published online: 22 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 10 DEC 2012
- European Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP)
- Medicine for Malaria Venture (MMV)
- Belgian Directorate-General for Development Cooperation (DGD)
- The Belmont Report/Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research. The National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of Biomedical and Behavioural Research (1979).
- (1947) The Nuremberg code. JAMA 276, 1691.
- 2010) A sensible approach to monitoring trials: finding effective solutions in-house. WebmedCentral. Clinical Trials 1:WMC00891. , & (
- 2012) The unobtainable placebo: control of independent clinical research by industry? Lancet 379, 30. & (
- CIOMS (2002) International Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research Involving Human Subjects, prepared by the Council for International Organizations of Medical Sciences (CIOMS) in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). CIOMS, Geneva.
- Department of Health and Human Services (2010) Office of inspector general. Challenges to FDA's ability to monitor and inspect foreign clinical trials. OEI-01-08-00510.
- European Medicines Agency (2012) Reflection paper on ethical and GCP aspects of clinical trials of medicinal products for human use conducted outside of the EU/EEA and submitted in marketing authorisation applications to the EU Regulatory Authorities. EMA/121340/2011. http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/news_and_events/news/2012/04/news_detail_001494.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058004d5c1.
- International Conference of Harmonization (1996) ICH tripartite guideline for good clinical practices E6 (R1).
- 2011) Clinical research: time for sensible global guidelines. The Lancet 377, 1553–1555. , & (
- 2011) Double ethical review of North-South collaborative clinical research: hidden paternalism or real partnership? TMIH 16, 527–530. , , et al. (
- The Four Artemisinin-Based Combinations (4ABC) Study Group (2011) A head-to-head comparison of four artemisinin-based combinations for treating uncomplicated malaria in African children: a randomized trial. PloS Medicine 8, 1–16.
- 2011) Data management in non-commercial North South collaborative clinical research: lessons learned from some EDCTP trials. Abstract presented at the EDCTP Forum 2011, Addis Ababa. , , et al. (
- WHO Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (2009) World Health Organization on behalf of the special programme for research and training in tropical diseases.
- World Health Organization (1995) Guidelines for Good Clinical Practices for Trials on Pharmaceutical Products. WHO Technical Report Series No. 850, 1995, Annex 3. WHO, Geneva.
- World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki (2008) Ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects. Adopted by the 18th WMA General Assembly, Helsinki, Finland, June 1964, and last amended by the 59th WMA General Assembly, Seoul, 2008.