Please, let not Western quackery replace traditional medicine in Africa
Article first published online: 10 DEC 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 242–244, February 2013
How to Cite
Renckens, C. N. M. and Dorlo, T. P. C. (2013), Please, let not Western quackery replace traditional medicine in Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 242–244. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12037
- Issue published online: 22 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 10 DEC 2012
- Homeopathy for Health in Africa (2012) http://www.homeopathyforhealthinafrica.org/about_us.php (accessed October 15 2012).
- Homeopaths without Borders (2012) http://www.hzg.nl/english (accessed October 15 2012).
- 2007) Snake Oil Science: The Truth About Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (
- 2009) Criminal aid [Misdadige hulp]. Medisch Contact 64, 620. (
- 2002) A systematic review of systematic reviews of homeopathy. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 54, 577–582. (
- 1995) Traditional healers in South Africa: a parallel health care system. BMJ 310, 1182–1185. (
- 2005) Critics slam WHO report on homoeopathy. The Lancet 366, 7. (
- National Center for Homeopathy (2012) http://nationalcenterforhomeopathy.org/content/1st-pan-african-homeopathic-congress-may-2012. (accessed October 15 2012).
- 2005) Beware of Quacks at the WHO. Skeptical Inquirer 29, 12–14. , & (
- Republic of South Africa (2008) Traditional Health Practitioners Act, 2007 (Act no. 22 of 2007). Government Gazette 510, 1–48.
- 2005) Are the effects of homoeopathy placebo effects? Comparative study of placebo-controlled trials of homoeopathy and allopathy The Lancet 366, 726–732. , , et al. (
- The Lancet (2005) The end of homoeopathy. The Lancet 366, 690.
- WHO (2002) WHO Traditional Medicine Strategy 2002-2005. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2003) Acupuncture: Review and Analysis of Reports on Controlled Clinical Trials. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2004) WHO welcomes South Africa's commitment to Traditional Medicine. http://www.afro.who.int/en/south-africa/press-materials/item/360-who-welcomes-south-africas-commitment-to-traditional-medicine.html. (accessed October 15 2012).
- WHO (2008) Beijing Declaration. Adopted by the WHO Congress on Traditional Medicine, Beijing, China, 8 November 2008. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO Country Office Sierra Leone (2010) Sierra Leone Commemorated African Traditional Medicine Day. http://www.afro.who.int/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=5682. (accessed October 15 2012).