Adaptation of a general primary care package for HIV-infected adults to an HIV centre setting in Gaborone, Botswana
Article first published online: 4 JAN 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 328–343, March 2013
How to Cite
Davis, S., Patel, P., Sheikh, A., Anabwani, G. and Tolle, M. A. (2013), Adaptation of a general primary care package for HIV-infected adults to an HIV centre setting in Gaborone, Botswana. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 328–343. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12041
- Issue published online: 15 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 4 JAN 2013
- 2009) Primary care guidelines for the management of persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: 2009 update by the HIV medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical Infectious Diseases 49, 651–681. , , et al. (
- 2007) Hypertension in Sub-Saharan Africa: A systematic review. Hypertension Journal of the American Heart Association 50, 1012–1018. , & (
- 2011) Immunovirological response to combined antiretroviral therapy and drug resistance patterns in children: 1- and 2-year outcomes in rural Uganda. BMC Pediatrics 11, 67. , , et al. (
- 2011) Choice-disability and HIV infection: A cross sectional study of HIV Status in Botswana, Namibia and Swaziland. AIDS and Behavior 16, 189–198. & (
- 2007) Risk factors for domestic physical violence: national cross-sectional household surveys in eight southern African countries. BMC Women's Health 7, 11. , , , & (
- 2010) Case-control study to determine risk factors for diarrhea among children during a large outbreak in a country with a high prevalence of HIV infection. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 14, 1002–1007. , , et al. (
- 2010) Intensive tuberculosis screening for HIV infected patients starting antiretroviral therapy in Durban, South Africa. Clinical Infectious Disease 51, 832–829. , , et al. (
- 2010) Acute coronary syndromes in treatment naive black South Africans with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Journal of Interventional Cardiology 23, 70–77. , , et al. (
- Botswana Cancer Association (2010). “What is Breast Cancer?” Accessed online August 14 2011 at http://www.cancer.org.bw/breast-cancer.php
- Botswana Country Report (2010). Progress Report of the National Response to the 2001 Declaration of Commitment on HIV and AIDS. Joint United National Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), National AIDS Coordinating Agency (NACA). Geneva, Switzerland. Accessed on March 12 2012 at http://www.unaids.org/en/regionscountries/countries/botswana/.
- Botswana Ministry of Health Department of HIV/AIDS Prevention and Care (2008). Botswana National HIV/AIDS Treatment Guidelines 2008 Version. Available at: http://www.aidstarone.com/botswana_national_hivaids_treatment_guidelines_2008_version. Accessed 6 September 2010.
- Botswana Motor Vehicle Accident Fund (2010). Road Crash Statistics. Accessed March 12 2011 at http://www.mvafund.bw/accident-statistics.html.
- 2011) AASLD Practice Guideline: Management of Hepatocellular Carcinoma: An update. Hepatology 53, 1020–1022. & (
- 2008) Five-year outcomes of initial patients treated in Botswana's national antiretroviral treatment program. AIDS 22, 2303–2311. , , et al. (
- 2004) Insulin resistance and diabetes mellitus in HIV infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy. Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders 2, 241–250. , & (
- Central Statistics Office: Environment Statistics, Government of Botswana. Botswana Water Statistics (2009). Accessed March 11 2011 at http://www1.eis.gov.bw/EIS/Reports/Botswana%20Water_statistics%20report.pdf.
- 2005) HIV and cancer of the cervix. Best Practice & Research Clinical Obstetrics & Gynaecology 19, 269–276. (
- 1999) The benefits of the CAGE as a screening tool for alcoholism in a closed rural South African community. South African Medical Journal 89, 976–979. (
- 2006) Nutritional status, tobacco use and alcohol consumption of older persons in Botswana. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging 10, 104–110. , & (
- 2008) Utilization of a basic care and prevention package by HIV-infected persons in Uganda. AIDS Care 20, 139–145. , , et al. (
- 2010) Cause of death among people with retroviral infection in rural Guinea-Bissau. Tropical Doctor 40, 181–183. , , , , & (
- 2007) Antidepressant therapy can improve adherence to antiretroviral regimens among HIV infected depressed patients. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology 27, 58–61. , , , , & (
- 2010). Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) prevalence in the outpatient adult HIV population at the Botswana-Baylor Children′s Clinical Centre of Excellence (BBCCCOE) in Gaborone, Botswana. AIDS 2010: XVIII International AIDS Conference. Abstract number WEPDB205. , , & (
- Department of Health and Human Services (2000). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Safe Water Systems for the Developing World: A Handbook for Developing Household-Based Water Treatment and Safe Storage Projects. Accessed online March 22 2011 at http://www.cdc.gov/safewater/manual/sws_manual.pdf.
- 2010) Psychosocial factors affecting medication adherence among HIV-1 infected adults receiving combination antiretroviral therapy (cART) in Botswana. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses 26, 685–691. , , , , & (
- European AIDS Clinical Society (2011a). “Guidelines for clinical management and treatment of HIV adults in Europe.” Accessed on March 11 2012 at http://www.europeanaidsclinicalsociety.org/guid2/index.html?ml=1
- European AIDS Clinical Society (2011b). Guidelines: Clinical Management and Treatment of HIV-Infected Adults in Europe, version 5.4. Accessed online August 13 2011 at http://www.europeanaidsclinicalsociety.org/images/stories/EACS-Pdf/1_treatment_of_hiv_infected_adults.pdf.
- 2007) Cervical cancer screening of women living with HIV infection: A Must in the ear of antiretroviral treatment. Clinical Infectious Diseases 45, 510–513. & (
- 2010) Postmortem findings in HIV/AIDS patients in a tertiary care hospital in rural South Africa. Tropical Doctor 40, 81–84. , , & (
- 1995) The effect of water supply, handling and usage on water quality in relation to health indices in a developing community in South Africa. Urbanisation and Health Newsletter 26, 32–36. , , , & (
- 2011) Early mortality in adults initiating antiretroviral therapy (ART) in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC): a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE 6, e28691. , , et al. (
- 2009) Adult mortality and antiretroviral treatment roll-out in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 87, 754–762. , , et al. (
- 2012) The impact of antiretroviral treatment of the age composition of the HIV epidemic in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS 26, S19–S30. , , et al. (
- Infectious Disease Society of America (2009). Primary Care Guidelines for the Management of Persons Infected with Human Immunodeficiency Virus: 2009 Update by the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Accessed online Nov. 14 2010, at http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdf/10.1086/605292.
- 2008) Population-level effect of HIV on adult mortality and early evidence of reversal after introduction of antiretroviral therapy in Malawi. Lancet 371, 1603–1611. , , et al. (
- 2005) Tackling cardiovascular disease in Africa:Will need much more than just imported measures from more developed countries. BMJ 331, 711–712. (
- 2004) Worldwide prevalence of hypertension: a systematic review. Journal of Hypertension 22, 11–19. , , , & (
- 2007) Improvement in survival among symptomatic AIDS patients by exposure category in Sao Paulo. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 45, 342–347. , , & (
- 2009) Depression among HIV positive individuals in Botswana: A behavioural surveillance. AIDS and Behavior 15, 204–208. , , et al. (
- 2009). Cervical cancer screening in a family care model clinic at Botswana Baylor COE. AIDS Impact Conference. Abstract No. 368. Gaborone, Botswana, 22-25 Sept. , , (
- 2009) The burden of non-communicable diseases in South Africa. Lancet 374, 934–947. , , et al. (
- 2011). Clinical Programme Manager at BOSASNet (Botswana Substance Abuse Support Network), personal communication. Mar. 7 2011. (
- 2005) Developing an evidence-based, preventive care package for persons with HIV in Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health 10, 961–970. , , et al. (
- 2012) HIV and aging – preparing for the challenges ahead. New England Journal of Medicine 366, 1270–1273. , & (
- 2010) Hypertension in the developing world: Challenges and Opportunities. American Journal of Kidney Disease 55, 590–598. & (
- 2009) Intimate partner violence and sexually risky behavior in Botswana: implications for HIV prevention. Health Care for Women International 30, 230–231. (
- 2002) Diabetes trends in Africa. Diabetes Metabolism Research and Reviews 18, s14–20. (
- South African Comparative Risk Assessment Collaborating Group (2007). Estimating the burden of disease attributable to high cholesterol in South Africa in 2000. South African Medical Journal 97(8 Pt 2): 708–715. , , & ,
- 2004) Medicine in resource-poor settings: time for a paradigm shift? Clinical Medicine 4, 355–360. (
- Coordinator (2008). Essential Preventive and Care Interventions for Adults and Adolescents Living with HIV in Resource-Limited Settings. World Health Organization HIV/AIDS programme. July 2008. Accessed online Mar 22 2011 at http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/plhiv/interventions/en/index.html. ,
- 2010). Screening and intervention for domestic violence during pregnancy care: a systematic review. Trauma Violence Abuse 11:190–201. , & (
- 2009). Temporal changes in causes of death among HIV-infected patients in the ART era in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 51: 624–630. , , et al. (
- 2005) Preventive care for tuberculosis in HIV infected individuals. The Journal of Research and Education in Indian Medicine 121, 415–423. & (
- 2009). Incidence and predictors of death, retention, and switch to second-line regimens in antiretroviral-treated patients in Sub-Saharan African Sites with comprehensive monitoring availability. Clinical Infectious Disease 48:115–122. , , et al. (
- 2007) Treatment and prevention of mental disorders in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 370, 991–1005. , , et al. (
- 2011a) Prevalence of Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C Coinfections in an Adult HIV Centre Population in Gaborone, Botswana. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 85, 390–394. , , , & (
- 2011b). Hypertension in HIV infected adult patients at the Botswana Baylor Children′s Clinical Centre of Excellence (BBCCCOE) in Gaborone, Botswana. The 6th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention. Abstract number CDB451. , , & (
- 2005) Changes in the etiology of sexually transmitted diseases in Botswana between 1993 and 2002: Implications for the clinical management of Genital ulcer disease. Clinical Infectious Disease 41, 1304–1312. , , et al. (
- 2011) Clinical presentation of acute coronary syndrome in HIV infected adults: a retrospective analysis of a prospectively collected cohort. European Journal of Internal Medicine 22, 485–488. , , et al. (
- 2010). Ignorance of breast cancer rife among Batswana. Mmegi Online 27: 159. http://www.mmegi.bw/index.php?sid=6 & aid=5844 & dir=2010/October/Friday22 (
- 2009) Descriptive systematic review of Sub-Saharan African studies on the association between alcohol use and HIV infectionSAHARA - Journal of Social Aspects of HIV/AIDS/Journal des Aspects Sociaux du VIH/SIDA 6, 170–178. & (
- 2002) Diarrhea prevention through household-level water disinfection and safe storage in Zambia. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 66, 584–589. , , et al. (
- 2008) HIV and Depression: 2008 Review and update. Current HIV/AIDS Reports 5, 163–171. (
- 2012) Cervical cancer prevention in HIV-infected women using the “see and treat” approach in Botswana. JAIDS 59, 308–313. , , , , & (
- 2011) Common adverse effects of antiretroviral therapy for HIV disease. American Family Physician 83, 1443–1451. (
- 2001). Keeping clean water clean in a Malawi refugee camp: a randomized intervention trial. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 79:280–287. , , , , & (
- 2010) HIV and the body: a review of multidisciplinary management. HIV Medicine 11, s2. , & (
- 2011). Evaluation and referral for and completion of Isoniazid Prophylaxis for Tuberculosis in the outpatient adult HIV population at the Botswana Baylor Children's Clinical Centre of Excellence in Gaborone, Botswana. The 6th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention. Abstract Number CDB137. , , & (
- 2010). Perspectives towards mental illness in people living with HIV/AIDS in South Africa. AIDS Care 22, 1418–1427. , , & (
- South Africa. Medical Research Council. (1997) WRC Report No. 562/1/96. The effect of water supply, handling and usage on water quality in relation to health indices in developing communities. Urban Health Newsl. 32, 48–52.
- 2010). Isoniazid-associated hepatitis and antiretroviral drugs during tuberculosis prophylaxis in HIV-infected adults in Botswana. Am J RespirCrit Care Med 182, 278–85. , , et al. (
- 1998). Survey on practices of water-handling and level of contamination between the source and use in the home in Jimma town, South-West Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences 8, 29–34. & (
- The Antiretroviral Therapy Cohort Collaboration (2010). Causes of death in HIV-1–infected patients treated with antiretroviral therapy, 1996–2006: collaborative analysis of 13 HIV cohort studies. Clinical Infectious Diseases 50, 1387–1396.
- 2009). Morbidity and mortality among a cohort of HIV-infected adults in a programme for community home-based care, in the Kilimanjaro Region of Tanzania (2003–2005). Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 103, 263–273. , , et al. (
- 2009). A package of primary health care services for comprehensive family-centred HIV/AIDS care and treatment programs in low-income settings. Trop Med Int Health 14:663–672. (
- 2006). A systematic literature review of tobacco use among adults 15 years and older in sub-Saharan Africa. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 84, 14–27. , , & (
- 2012).Implementation of a primary care package for stable HIV-infected adults on antiretroviral therapy (ART) at the Botswana-Baylor Children's Clinical Centre of Excellence (COE) in Gaborone, Botswana. Presented at the 14th BIPAI Network Meeting, 15-19 April 2012, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Abstract text available in Proceedings of the 14th BIPAI Network Meeting at: http://www.bipai.org , , , , & (
- UNAIDS Fact Sheet (2009) http://data.unaids.org/pub/FactSheet/2009/20091124_FS_global_en.pdf. (due for update Dec 2010.)
- United States Preventive Services Task Force (2009). Screening for breast cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Annals of Internal Medicine 151:716–726, W-236.
- United States Preventive Services Task Force. Counseling to Prevent Tobacco Use and Tobacco-Caused Disease: Recommendation Statement (2003). AHRQ Pub. No. 04–0526.5. Accessed online March 21 2011 at http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/3rduspstf/tobacccoun/tobcounrs.pdf
- 2006) A Population-Based Study on Alcohol and High-Risk Sexual Behaviors in Botswana. PLoS Medicine 3, 1940–1948. , , et al. (
- WHO (2008). Essential Prevention and Care Interventions for Adults and Adolescents Living with HIV in Resource-Limited Settings. World Health Organization HIV/AIDS Programme 2008. Accessed online August 13 2011 at http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/prev_care/OMS_EPP_AFF_en.pdf.
- WHO Guidelines for assessment and management of cardiovascular risk (2007). World Health Organization 2007. Accessed online August 13 2011 at http://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/guidelines/Full%20text.pdf.
- WHO/ ICo (2010). HPV Information Centre, 3rd edn. Human Papillomavirus and Related Cancers, Botswana. Summary Report Update. Sept 15 2010: Accessed online March 15 2011 at http://apps.who.int/hpvcentre/statistics/dynamic/ico/country_pdf/BWA.pdf.
- WHO/Unicef Joint Monitoring Program for Water Supply and Sanitation (2006). Coverage Estimates: Improved Drinking Water, Updated June 2006. Accessed online March 12 2011 at http://www.childinfo.org/files/botswana_wat_06.pdf.
- World Health Organization (2010). Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in Adults and adolescents: recommendations for a public health approach. 2010 revision Accessed online Aug. 13 2011 at http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241599764_eng.pdf.
- World Health Organization (2011). Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2010. Accessed on November 20 2011 at http://www.who.int/nmh/publications/ncd_report_full_en.pdf.
- World Health Organization Department of Noncommunicable Disease Management (2003). Screening for Type 2 Diabetes: Report of a World Health Organization and International Diabetes Federation meeting. Accessed online August 13 2011 at http://www.who.int/diabetes/publications/en/screening_mnc03.pdf.
- World Health Organization: Violence and Injury Prevention (2011). Road Safety Status Profile: Botswana. Accessed March 12 2011 online at. http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/country_profiles/botswana.pdf
- 2011) Breast cancer management in middle-resource countries (MRCs): Consensus statement from the Breast Health Global Initiative. Breast 20(Suppl 2): S12–19. , , et al. (