Editorial: International aid, tobacco and the tobacco epidemic – are aid agencies culpable for investing in sin sectors like tobacco?
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 372–376, March 2013
How to Cite
Lal, P. (2013), Editorial: International aid, tobacco and the tobacco epidemic – are aid agencies culpable for investing in sin sectors like tobacco?. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 372–376. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12049
- Issue published online: 15 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2012
- 1991) Odious Debts, Loose Lending, Corruption and the Third World's Environmental Legacy. Earthscan, London. (
- AID & Adams International (1985) A Tobacco Growing and Marketing – Joint Venture in the Northeast and North of Thailand. http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNAAY242.pdf, as viewed on March 1, 2012.
- Anonymous (1974) Proceedings of the Congressional Record -Senate Committee on Agricultural Appropriations. Library of the Congress, Washington D.C. pp. S13125–S13126.
- Anonymous (2002) Bonkers: How Zimbabwean Farmers Unwillingly Subsidise Their Government. The Economist, London, June 15.
- All-Party Group on Overseas Development (1985) UK Aid to African Agriculture. Overseas Development Institute, London.
- 1984) Fuelwood Consumption and Deforestation in African Countries. World Bank Staff Working Paper 704. World Bank, Washington. & (
- 1997) Agricultural Input and Output Marketing Reforms in African Countries, Final Donor Report. International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, D.C. , , , , , & (
- 1991) Tobacco to 1995 – Consumption moves South, Special Report 2091. The Economist Intelligence Unit, London. (
- 1991) A Note on the Economic Costs and Benefits of Bank Tobacco Projects. Mimeo, Washington, DC. (
- 1991) The influence of the U.S. tobacco industry on the health, economy and environment of developing countries. New England Journal of Medicine 324, 917–919. (
- 1972) Tobacco Consumption in Various Countries, Research Paper No. 6. Tobacco Research Council, London. (
- 2012) Tobacco Capitalism: Growers, Migrant Workers, and the Changing Face of a Global Industry. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA. (
- 2006) The policy response to the smoking and lung cancer connection in the 1950s and 1960s. Historical Journal 49, 1185–1209. (
- 2010) Follow the money: how the billions of dollars that flow from smokers in poor nations to companies in rich nations greatly exceed funding for global tobacco control and what might be done about it. Tobacco Control 19, 285–290. (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2007) Best Practices for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs – 2007. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health; October 2007, Atlanta.
- 2006) Agricultural Development and Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) – Building a Case for more Support: The Case of Malawi, Working paper no. 4, Prepared for the Policy Assistance Unit of the FAO Subregional Office for East and Southern Africa by FAO, Rome. Available at: ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/009/a0783e/A0783E00.PDF, as viewed on July 7, 2012. (
- Committee on Agriculture (1959) International Trade in Tobacco and its effect on United States Leaf Production, 86th Congress, 1st Session. United States Government, Washington, pp. 59–60.
- 2000) The global cigarette: origins and evolution of British American tobacco 1880–1945. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (
- 1986) The Birth of BAT, Discussion Paper in Economics No. 7. School of Economics, Middlesex Polytechnic, Enfield, UK, November 1986. (
- 2012) Deaths from smoking: the avoidable holocaust. British Medical Journal 344, e2029. (
- 2002) Assessing Impacts of Declines in the World Price of Tobacco on China, Malawi, Turkey, and Zimbabwe, Trade and Macroeconomics Division Discussion Paper No. 91. International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, D.C. 20006, U.S.A. March. , , & (
- Economist Intelligence Unit (1983) Tobacco and Food Crop Production in the Third World: Competition or Complementarity? EIU Studies in Agriculture and Commodities no. 3, EIU, London.
- 2005) The Millennium Development Goals and Tobacco Control: An Opportunity for Global Partnership. WHO, Geneva. & (
- FAO (1989) The Economic Significance of Tobacco: Economic and Social Development Paper 85. Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
- 1999) USAID Policy on Tobacco, Action Memorandum for the Administrator, Memo dated January 6, 1999. USAID, Washington D.C. (
- 2000) Global patterns of smoking and smoking-attributable mortality. In: Tobacco Control in Developing Countries (eds P Jha & FJ Chaloupka) Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, pp. 11–139. , & et al. (
- 1999) Global assessment of deforestation related to tobacco farming. Tobacco Control 8, 18–28. (
- 1986) An Economic Analysis of Flue-Cured Tobacco in Nepal, Research Paper Series Number 4, His Majesty's Government -USAID-GTZ-Winrock Project Strengthening Institutional Capacity in the Food And Agricultural Sector in Nepal, Kathmandu, Nepal (mimeo), May 1986. (
- 2006) Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries, 2nd edn. Oxford University Press, New York. , , , , , , , & (eds) (
- 2012) Torn in translation: An ethnographic study of regulatory decision-making in Turkey. Regulation & Governance, 6, 225–229. (
- 1999) Forestry and Planning Development Project Consultancy Report – Wood Consumption Survey: Flue-Cured Virginia Tobacco Industry in Pakistan. Government of Pakistan and USAID, October 1999. & (
- 1989) Sources of growth in east African agriculture. The World Bank Economic Review, 3, 119–144. (
- 1998) Ashes to Ashes: The History of Smoking and Health. Rodphi, Amsterdam, pp. 130–140. , & (eds) (
- 2002) The Tobacco Atlas. World Health Organization, Geneva, pp. 112–117. & (
- 1989) Economics for Change: Power and Decision Making: Tobacco. Leeds Development Education Centre, Leeds, UK, pp. 9–13. (ed.) (
- 1992) The Maxwell Consumer Report – International Tobacco, Part I and II. Butcher & Singer/Wheat First Securities, Philadelphia. (
- 1993) The Maxwell Consumer Report, International Tobacco Report Part One and Two. Davenport & Company LLC, Richmond, VA, USA. (
- 1987) The Reconstruction of Western Europe, 1947–1951. Methuen, London, pp. 101. (
- 1987) Tracking and Tapping Aid to Africa, document dated October 1, 1987. Available at http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/pxk40a99, as viewed on August 11, 2012. (
- 1974) U.S. Sells Indochina Tobacco. Washington Post, Washington D.C, USA. pp. 3. (
- 2008) Striving for normality in a time of AIDS in Malawi. Journal of Modern African Studies, 46, 659–687. Cambridge University Press. , & (
- 2012) Development assistance for global tobacco control. Tobacco Control 21, 465–470. DOI:10.1136/tc.2011.043380. & (
- Royal College of Physicians (1962) Smoking and Health. Royal College of Physicians, London.
- 2011) How Private Companies are Transforming the Global Public Health Agenda – A New Era For the World Health Organization, Foreign Affairs. Council on Foreign Relations Inc, Washington, DC. (
- 2011) Global health philanthropy and institutional relationships: how should conflicts of interest be addressed? PLoS Medicine, 8, e1001020. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001020. , & (
- Tobacco Legacy Documents (undated) Untitled document. Available at http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/qjx07b00, undated document as viewed on August 11, 2012.
- Tobacco Legacy Documents (1991) Letter from Patrick Sheehy to Lynda Chalker Policy on Tobacco. Available at http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/wpk25a99, document dated June 21, 1991 as viewed on August 11, 2012.
- US Department of Health, Education and Welfare (1964) Smoking and Health. Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the Public Health Services. US Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Atlanta, USA.
- USAID (1993) Market Outlook for Malawi's Tobacco Industry, September 1993, Project No. 936–5477. pp. 16. Available at: http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNABQ110.pdf, as viewed on July 7, 2012.
- USAID Country Reports (undated) http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PDACJ731.pdf, pg 27; http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNABS348.pdf, http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNABQ110.pdf, http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNADI629.pdf, http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNADD327.pdf, as viewed on April 7, 2012.
- USAID (2007) Presidential Initiative to End Hunger in Africa-Annual Report 2007. http://www.usaid.gov/locations/sub-saharan_africa/initiatives/docs/ieha09.pdf, as viewed on September 7, 2011.
- United States Department of Agriculture's Foreign Agriculture Service (2008) http://www.fas.usda.gov/excredits/foodaid/pl480/Food_for_Peace_Act.pdf, May 22, 2008, as viewed on March 12, 2012.
- United States Department of Agriculture's Foreign Agriculture Service Tobacco, Cotton, and Seed Division (2012) Website:/www.fas.usda.gov, as viewed on March 23, 2012.
- United States Information Service (1970) United States economic assistance to India (1970): June 1951 – January 1969, factsheet no. 19. USIS, New Delhi.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2011) WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic, 2008: the MPOWER package. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. Available at http://www.who.int/tobacco/mpower/2008/en/index.html, as viewed on May 29, 2012.
- 1992) British Aid 1975–90. Christian Aid, London. (
- World Bank (1984) World Bank Tobacco Financing: The Environment/Health Case: Background for Policy Formulation, Office of Environmental and Scientific Affairs. World Bank, Washington.
- World Bank (1991) World Bank. Policy on Tobacco (R 91–225). World Bank, Washington, DC.