Does HIV status affect the aetiology, bacterial resistance patterns and recommended empiric antibiotic treatment in adult patients with bloodstream infection in Cambodia?
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 485–494, April 2013
How to Cite
Phe, T., Vlieghe, E., Reid, T., Harries, A. D., Lim, K., Thai, S., De Smet, B., Veng, C., Kham, C., Ieng, S., van Griensven, J. and Jacobs, J. (2013), Does HIV status affect the aetiology, bacterial resistance patterns and recommended empiric antibiotic treatment in adult patients with bloodstream infection in Cambodia?. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 485–494. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12060
- Issue published online: 14 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2013
- Centre for Operational Research
- Operational Research Unit
- Center for International Health
- 2007) Clinical and molecular epidemiology of community-onset, extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli infections in Thailand: a case-case-control study. American Journal of Infection Control 35, 606–612. , , , , & (
- 2000) A hospital-based prevalence survey of bloodstream infections in febrile patients in Malawi: implications for diagnosis and therapy. Journal of Infectious Diseases 181, 1414–1420. , , et al. (
- 2009) Surviving sepsis in low-income and middle-income countries: new directions for care and research. The Lancet infectious diseases 9, 577–582. , , , & (
- 2012) Clinical Scoring for Risk of Resistant Organisms in Pneumonia: right Idea, Wrong Interpretation.Clinical Infectious Diseases 55, 749–750. , , , & (
- 2007) Antimicrobial drug resistance of Salmonella enterica serovar typhi in asia and molecular mechanism of reduced susceptibility to the fluoroquinolones. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 51, 4315–4323. , , et al. (
- CLSI (2012) CLSI M100-S22. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing; Twenty-second Informational Supplement. CLSI document M100-S22. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. ISBN: 1562387162. 28. 1-1-2010. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, PA.
- 2012) Community-acquired bacterial bloodstream infections in developing countries in south and southeast Asia: a systematic review. The Lancet infectious diseases 12, 480–487. , , , , , (
- 1995) Bacteremia in hospitalized patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virus: a case-control study of risk factors and outcome. Journal of acquired immune deficiency syndromes 8, 51–57. , & (
- 2006) Timing of adequate antibiotic therapy is a greater determinant of outcome than are TNF and IL-10 polymorphisms in patients with sepsis. Critical Care 10, R111. , , et al. (
- 2004) Reconsidering empiric cotrimoxazole prophylaxis for infants exposed to HIV infection. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 82, 290–297. , , & (
- 2004) Timing of antibiotic administration and outcomes for Medicare patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia. Archives of Internal Medicine 164, 637–644. , , , & (
- 2000) The influence of inadequate antimicrobial treatment of bloodstream infections on patient outcomes in the ICU setting. Chest 118, 146–155. , , , & (
- 2012) Influence of air quality on the composition of microbial pathogens in fresh rainwater. Applied and Environment Microbiology 78, 2813–2818. , & (
- 2006) Duration of hypotension before initiation of effective antimicrobial therapy is the critical determinant of survival in human septic shock. Critical Care Medicine 34, 1589–1596. , , et al. (
- 2010) Septicaemia in a population-based HIV clinical cohort in rural Uganda, 1996-2007: incidence, aetiology, antimicrobial drug resistance and impact of antiretroviral therapy. Tropical medicine and international health 15, 697–705. , , et al. (
- 2007) Bacteremia in adult patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in the northeast of Thailand. International journal of infectious diseases 11, 226–231. (
- NCHADS (2011). Estimation of the HIV Prevalence among General Population in Cambodia, 2010. Consensus Workshop on HIV Estimation for Cambodia. 7-4-2011.
- 2008) Bloodstream infections among human immunodeficiency virus-infected adult patients: epidemiology and risk factors for mortality.European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 27, 969–976. , , et al. (
- 2010) Predicting bacteremic pneumonia in HIV-1-infected patients consulting the ED.American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 28, 454–459. , , et al. (
- 2006) Causes of community-acquired bacteremia and patterns of antimicrobial resistance in Vientiane, Laos. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 75, 978–985. , , et al. (
- 2009) CTX-M beta-lactamases in Escherichia coli from community-acquired urinary tract infections, Cambodia. Emerging Infectious Diseases 15, 741–748. , , et al. (
- 2005) Bacteremia and antimicrobial susceptibilities in HIV-positive patients at Siriraj Hospital. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 36, 347–351. , , & (
- 1998) A prospective study of community-acquired bloodstream infections among febrile adults admitted to Mulago Hospital in Kampala, Uganda. Journal of acquired immune deficiency syndromes and human retrovirology : official publication of the International Retrovirology Association 19, 484–489. , , et al. (
- 1995) The impact of bacteraemia on HIV infection. Nine years experience in a large Italian university hospital. Journal of Infection 31, 123–131. , , , & (
- 2011a) Melioidosis, phnom penh, Cambodia. Emerging Infectious Diseases 17, 1289–1292. , , et al. (
- 2011b , , et al. Bloodstream Infection among Cambodian Adults: Key Pathogens and Resistance Patterns. Abstract presented at the 51th ICAAC, September 18-21 2011, Chicago, US. 9-18-2011b.
- 2012 , , et al. Staphylococcus areus bloodstream infections in Cambodian adults. Abstract # 56-067, poster presented at the 15th ICID, June 13–16, 2012, Bangkok, Thailand. 6-16-2012.
- WHO (2010) Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in adults and adolescents, Recommendations for a public health approach. 2010 Revision edn. World Health Organization, Geneva