Alcohol use, drunkenness and tobacco smoking in rural western Kenya
Article first published online: 14 MAR 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 506–515, April 2013
How to Cite
Lo, T. Q., Oeltmann, J. E., Odhiambo, F. O., Beynon, C., Pevzner, E., Cain, K. P., Laserson, K. F. and Phillips-Howard, P. A. (2013), Alcohol use, drunkenness and tobacco smoking in rural western Kenya. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 506–515. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12066
- Issue published online: 14 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 14 MAR 2013
- KEMRI CDC collaboration
- 2011) Factors associated with late presentation to HIV/AIDS care in South Wollo ZoneEthiopia: a case–control study. AIDS Research and Therapy 8, 8. , & (
- 2007) The burden and costs of chronic diseases in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 370, 1929–1938. , , , & (
- 2008) Tobacco and hazardous or harmful alcohol use in Thailand: joint prevalence and associations with socioeconomic factors. Addictive Behaviors 33, 503–514. , , , , & (
- 2010) Monitoring and surveillance of chronic non-communicable diseases: progress and capacity in high-burden countries. Lancet 376, 1861–1868. , & et al. (
- 2009) Non-adherence to anti-TB drugs among TB/HIV co-infected patients in Mbarara Hospital Uganda: prevalence and associated factors. African Health Sciences 9(Suppl 1), S8–S15. , , , & (
- 2008) Using an asset index to assess trends in poverty in seven sub-saharan African countries. World Development 36, 1113–1130. , , , & (
- 2006) Multicentre study of acute alcohol use and non-fatal injuries: data from the WHO collaborative study on alcohol and injuries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84, 453–460. , & et al. (
- 2007) Heavy episodic drinking among Kenyan female sex workers is associated with unsafe sex, sexual violence and sexually transmitted infections. International Journal of STD and AIDS 18, 764–769. , , , , & (
- 2009) Enhancing global control of alcohol to reduce unsafe sex and HIV in sub-Saharan Africa. Global Health 5, 16. , , & (
- 2009) Diverse alcohol drinking patterns in 20 African countries. Addiction 104, 1147–1154. , , & (
- 1989) Siaya: The Historical Anthropology of an African Landscape. James Currey, Ltd., London. & (
- 2004) A meta-analysis of alcohol consumption and the risk of 15 diseases. Preventive Medicine 38, 613–619. , , & (
- 2008) Toward a global view of alcohol, tobacco, cannabis, and cocaine use: findings from the WHO World Mental Health Surveys. PLoS Medicine 5, e141. , & (
- 2005) Rethinking the “diseases of affluence” paradigm: global patterns of nutritional risks in relation to economic development. PLoS Medicine 2, e133. , & et al. (
- 2001) Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data–or tears: an application to educational enrollments in states of India. Demography 38, 115–132. & (
- 2012) Tobacco use in 3 billion individuals from 16 countries: an analysis of nationally representative cross-sectional household surveys. The Lancet 380, 668–679. , & (
- 2002) Tobacco smoking in Tanzania, East Africa: population based smoking prevalence using expired alveolar carbon monoxide as a validation tool. Tobacco Control 11, 210–214. , , , & (
- 2006) Associations of poverty, substance use, and HIV transmission risk behaviors in three South African communities. Social Science and Medicine 62, 1641–1649. , & et al. (
- Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) & ICF Macro (2010) Kenya Demographic and Health Survey 2008–09. KNBS and ICF Macro, Calverton, MD.
- 2008) Dose–response relation between volume of drinking and alcohol-related diseases in male general hospital inpatients. Alcohol and Alcoholism 43, 34–38. , & et al. (
- 2006) Measuring the global burden of disease and epidemiological transitions: 2002–2030. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology 100, 481–499. & (
- 2011) Alcohol brewing and the African tuberculosis epidemic. Medical Anthropology 30, 126–135. & (
- 2011) Alcohol abstinence and drinking among African women: data from the World Health Surveys. BMC Public Health 11, 160. , , & (
- 2009) The burden of non-communicable diseases in South Africa. Lancet 374, 934–947. , , , , & (
- 2005) Measuring inequality with asset indicators. Journal of Population Economics 18, 229–260. (
- 2003) The household-level economics of using permethrin-treated bed nets to prevent malaria in children less than five years of age. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68(4 Suppl), 149–160. , & (
- 2003) Alcohol, substance and drug use among urban slum adolescents in Nairobi, Kenya. Cities 20, 231–240. , & (
- 2011) Factors associated with default from treatment among tuberculosis patients in nairobi province, Kenya: a case control study. BMC Public Health 11, 696. , , , , & (
- NACADA (2010) The Alcohol Drinks Control Act, 2010. Available from: http://www.nacada.go.ke/2010/09/the-alcoholic-drinks-control-act-2010/.
- NACADA Authority (2007) Rapid Situation Assessment of Drug and Substance Abuse in Kenya. National Agency for the Campaign Against Drugs Authority, pp. 59.
- NACADA Authority (2010) Alcohol Use in Central Province of Kenya. National Agency for the Campaign against Drugs Authority, pp. 59.
- 2009) Prevalence of substance abuse among patients in general medical facilities in Kenya. Substance Abuse 30, 182–190. , , , , & (
- 2011) Risk factors for non-communicable diseases among older adults in rural Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health 16, 640–646. , , , & (
- 2005) Regular use of alcohol and tobacco in India and its association with age, gender, and poverty. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 77, 283–291. , , , & (
- 2012) Profile: the KEMRI/CDC health and demographic surveillance system – Western Kenya. International Journal of Epidemiology 41, 977–87. et al. (
- 2004) Socio-demographic factors of pupils who use tobacco in randomly-selected primary schools in Nairobi province, Kenya. East African medical journal 80, 235–241. , & (
- 2009) Substance abuse in outpatients attending rural and urban health centres in Kenya. East African medical journal 77, 592–595. , & (
- 2010) Estimating alcohol content of traditional brew in western Kenya using culturally relevant methods: the case for cost over volume. AIDS and Behavior 14, 836–844. , & et al. (
- 2003) The efficacy of permethrin-treated bed nets on child mortality and morbidity in western Kenya I. Development of infrastructure and description of study site. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68(4 Suppl), 3–9. , & et al. (
- 2007) Comparative quantification of alcohol exposure as risk factor for global burden of disease. International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research 16, 66–76. , & (
- 2012) Urban movement and alcohol intake strongly predict defaulting from tuberculosis treatment: an operational study. PLoS ONE 7, e35908. , , , & (
- 2004) Under-reporting of alcohol consumption in household surveys: a comparison of quantity–frequency, graduated–frequency and recent recall. Addiction 99, 1024–1033. , , , , & (
- 2002) Potent Brews: A Social History of Alcohol in East Africa 1850–1999. The British Institute in East Africa, London. (
- World Health Organization (2003) World Health Survey – Kenya. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- World Health Organization (2010) Global Strategy to Reduce the Harmful Use of Alcohol. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2011a) WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2011b) Tobacco Fact Sheet N°339. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs339/en/index.html. [accessed 7 February 2012].