The effectiveness of birth plans in increasing use of skilled care at delivery and postnatal care in rural Tanzania: a cluster randomised trial
Article first published online: 5 FEB 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 435–443, April 2013
How to Cite
Magoma, M., Requejo, J., Campbell, O., Cousens, S., Merialdi, M. and Filippi, V. (2013), The effectiveness of birth plans in increasing use of skilled care at delivery and postnatal care in rural Tanzania: a cluster randomised trial. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 435–443. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12069
- Issue published online: 14 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 5 FEB 2013
- 2002) Managing Motherhood, Managing Risk. Fertility and Dangers in West Central Tanzania. University of Michigan, St. Ann Arbor, MI, USA. (
- 2009) Improving poor women's access to maternity care: findings from a primary care intervention in Burkina Faso. Social Science and Medicine 69, 682–690. , , , , & (
- 2009) Still too far to walk: literature review of the determinants of delivery service use. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 9, 34. & (
- 2009). Cluster Randomized Trials. Chapman & Hall/CRC Taylor & Francis Group, 6000 Broken Sound Parkway NW, Suite 300 Boca Raton, FL 33487-2742. & (
- 2006) The effect of addressing demand for as well as supply of emergency obstetric care in Dinajpur, Bangladesh. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 92, 320–328. & (
- 1998) Obstetric care in southern Tanzania: does it reach those in need? Tropical Medicine and International Health 3, 926–932. , & (
- 2000) Why do at-risk mothers fail to reach referral level? Barriers beyond distance and cost. African Journal of Reproductive Health 4, 100–109. , & (
- 2009) Women's preferences for place of delivery in rural Tanzania: a population-based discrete choice experiment. American Journal of Public Health 99, 1666–1672. , , , & (
- 2010) High ANC coverage and low skilled attendance in a rural Tanzanian district: a case for implementing a birth plan intervention. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 10, 13. , , , & (
- 2011) How much time is available for antenatal care consultations? Assessment of the quality of care in rural Tanzania. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 11, 64. , , , , & (
- 2006) Are birth preparedness programmes effective? Results from a field trial in Siraha district, Nepal. Journal of Health, Population, and Nutrition 24, 479–488. , , & (
- 2006) Birth-Preparedness for Maternal Health: findings from Koupe'la District, Burkina Faso. Journal of Health, Population, and Nutrition 24, 489–497. , , , , & (
- 2007) Use pattern of maternal health services and determinants of skilled care during delivery in Southern Tanzania: implications for achievement of MDG-5 targets. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 7, 29. , , et al. (
- 2007) Factors affecting home delivery in rural Tanzania. Tropical Medicine and International Health 12, 862–872. , , et al. (
- National Bureau of Statistics (2002) 2002 Population and Housing Census Volume IV. District Profile; Ngorongoro. Central Census Office. President's Office. Planning and Privatization. Dar es Salaam Tanzania.
- National Bureau of Statistics, & ICF Macro (2010) Tanzania Demographic and Health Survey. Dar es salaam Tanzania & Calverton Maryland USA.
- National Bureau of Statistics, & Macro International (2006) Tanzania Demographic and Health Survey 2004-05. National Bureau of Statistics Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and Macro International Inc. Calverton, Maryland, USA. Dar es salaam, Tanzania.
- Ngorongoro District Council (2006) District annual health report Loliondo, Arusha Tanzania.
- 2004) Involving husbands in safe motherhood: effects of the SUAMI SIAGA campaign in Indonesia. Journal of Health Communication 9, 233–258. & (
- 2004) Methodological issues in the measurement of birth preparedness in support of safe motherhood. Evaluation Review, 28, 179–200. (
- 2007) Skilled care at birth in the developing world: progress to date and strategies for expanding coverage. Journal of Biosocial Science, 39, 109–120. , , & (
- 1997) The Safe Motherhood Action Agenda: Priorities for the next decade Colombo. (
- Tanzania Ministry of Health (2002) Focused Antenatal Care Malaria and Syphilis in Pregnanncy. Orientation Package for Service Providers. RCHS. Dar es Salaam: Ministry of Health.
- Tanzania National Strategy for Growth and Reduction of Poverty (TNSGRP) (2005) United Republic of Tanzania. Vice Presidents Office, Dar es salaam.
- United Nations (2004) Millenium Development Goals. Progress report 2004: New York, United Nations.
- WHO/UNICEF (2003) Antenatal care in developing countries: Promises, achievements and missed opportunities. An analysis of trends, levels and differentials 1990–2001, WHO Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2006) Birth and emergency preparedness in antenatal care. Intergrated management of pregnancy and childbirth (IMPAC). Department of Making Pregnancy Safer. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2008) Impact of HRP research in maternal and perinatal care: a case-study. UNDP/UNFPA/WHO/World Bank Special Programme of Research, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction (HRP). External evaluation 2003–2007.
- World Health Organization, UNFPA, Unicef, & AMDD (2009) Monitoring Emergency Obstetric Care: A Handbook. WHO, Geneva.