The effect of antenatal monthly sulphadoxine–pyrimethamine, alone or with azithromycin, on foetal and neonatal growth faltering in Malawi: a randomised controlled trial
Version of Record online: 22 FEB 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 386–397, April 2013
How to Cite
Luntamo, M., Kulmala, T., Cheung, Y. B., Maleta, K. and Ashorn, P. (2013), The effect of antenatal monthly sulphadoxine–pyrimethamine, alone or with azithromycin, on foetal and neonatal growth faltering in Malawi: a randomised controlled trial. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 386–397. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12074
- Issue online: 14 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 22 FEB 2013
- Academy of Finland
- Foundation for Paediatric Research in Finland and the Medical Research
- Tampere University Hospital
- Pfizer Inc
- ACC/SCN (2000) Low Birthweight: Report of a Meeting in Dhaka, Bangladesh on 14–17 June 1999. Eds. J Pojda & L Kelley. Nutrition Policy Paper #18. ACC/SCN in collaboration with ICDDR,B, Geneva.
- 2010) The worldwide incidence of preterm birth: a WHO systematic review of maternal mortality and morbidity. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 88, 31–38. , , et al. (
- 2008) Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences. Maternal and Child Undernutrition Study Group. Lancet 371, 243–260. , , et al. (
- 2005) Preterm birth in rural Malawi: high incidence in ultrasound-dated population. Human Reproduction 20, 3235–3237. , , , & (
- 2009) The APPLe study: A randomized, community-based, placebo-controlled trial of azithromycin for the prevention of preterm birth, with meta-analysis. PLoS Medicine 6, e1000191. , , et al. (
- 1999) Multiple imputation of missing blood pressure covariates in survival analysis. Statistics in Medicine 18, 681–694. , & (
- 2011a) Intermittent preventive treatment of malaria in pregnancy: at the crossroads of public health policy. Tropical Medicine and International Health 16, 774–785. & (
- 2011b) Azithromycin plus chloroquine: combination therapy for protection against malaria and sexually transmitted infections in pregnancy. Expert Opinion on Drug Metabolism & Toxicology 7, 1153–67. & (
- 2012) Prevalence of malaria and sexually transmitted and reproductive tract infections in pregnancy in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. JAMA 307, 2079–2086. , , , , & (
- 2007) Epidemiology and burden of malaria in pregnancy. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 7, 93–104. , , et al. (
- 2011) Coverage of malaria protection in pregnant women in sub-Saharan Africa: a synthesis and analysis of national survey data. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 11, 190–207. , , et al. (
- 2002) Determinants of linear growth and predictors of severe stunting during infancy in rural Malawi. Acta Paediatrica 91, 1364–1370. , , , , & (
- 2006) Randomized trial of 2-dose versus monthly sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine intermittent preventive treatment for malaria in HIV-positive and HIV-negative pregnant women in Malawi. Journal of Infectious Diseases 194, 286–293. , , et al. (
- 2007) Inferiority of single-dose sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine intermittent preventive therapy for malaria during pregnancy among HIV-positive Zambian women. Journal of Infectious Diseases 196, 1577–1584. , , et al. (
- 2001) Randomized trial of presumptive sexually transmitted disease therapy during pregnancy in Rakai, Uganda. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 185, 1209–1217. , , et al. (
- 2004) Impact of malaria during pregnancy on low birth weight in sub-Saharan Africa. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 17, 760–769. & (
- 2007) Two-dose versus monthly intermittent preventive treatment of malaria with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine in HIV-seropositive pregnant Zambian women. Journal of Infectious Diseases 196, 1585–1594. , , et al. (
- 2007) Intermittent preventive therapy with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine during pregnancy: seeking information on optimal dosing frequency. Journal of Infectious Diseases 196, 1574–1576. & (
- 2007) Effect of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance on the efficacy of intermittent preventive therapy for malaria control during pregnancy: a systematic review. Journal of the American Medical Association 297, 2603–2616. , & (
- 2013) Intermittent preventive therapy for malaria during pregnancy using 2 vs 3 or more doses of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine and risk of low birth weight in Africa. Systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of the American Medical Association 309, 594–604. , , et al. (
- 2000) The importance of preterm births for peri- and neonatal mortality in rural Malawi. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 14, 219–226. , , et al. (
- 2001) Gestational health and predictors of newborn weight amongst pregnant women in rural Malawi. African Journal of Reproductive Health 5, 99–108. , , et al. (
- 2010) 3.6 million neonatal deaths-what is progressing and what is not? Seminars in Perinatology 34, 371–386. , , & (
- 2010) Effect of repeated treatment of pregnant women with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine and azithromycin on preterm delivery in Malawi: a randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 83, 1212–1220. , , , , & (
- 2012) The Effect of monthly Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine, alone or with Azithromycin, on PCR-diagnosed malaria at delivery: a randomized controlled trial. PLoS ONE 7, e41123. , , et al. (
- 2007) Reducing the burden of malaria in pregnancy by preventive strategies. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 7, 126–135. , & (
- 2008) Long-term medical and social consequences of preterm birth. New England Journal of Medicine 359, 262–273. , & (
- 2005) Sexually transmitted infections in pregnancy: prevalence, impact on pregnancy outcomes, and approach to treatment in developing countries. Sexually Transmitted Infections 8, 294–302. , , & (
- 2001) Perinatal outcome in an obstetric cohort of Mozambican women. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 47, 30–38. , , , & (
- 1998) Efficacy of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine for prevention of placental malaria in an area of Kenya with a high prevalence of malaria and human immunodeficiency virus infection. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 59, 813–822. , , et al. (
- Pfizer Inc. (2012) Zithromax® product information. http://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=511 (accessed on 18 August 2012).
- 2004) Multiple imputation of missing values. The Stata Journal 4, 227–241. (
- 2008) An overview of mortality and sequelae of preterm birth from infancy to adulthood. Lancet 371, 261–269. & (
- 1994) The efficacy of antimalarial regimens containing sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine and/or chloroquine in preventing peripheral and placental Plasmodium falciparum infection among pregnant women in Malawi. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 51, 515–522. , , , , & (
- 2010) Anti-folate drug resistance in Africa: meta-analysis of reported dihydrofolate reductase (dhfr) and dihydropteroate synthase (dhps) mutant genotype frequencies in African Plasmodium falciparum parasite populations. Malaria Journal 9, 247. , , , , & (
- 2008) Antenatal lower genital tract infection screening and treatment programs for preventing preterm delivery. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2, CD006178. , , & (
- 2012) Adaptive evolution and fixation of drug-resistant Plasmodium falciparum genotypes in pregnancy-associated malaria: 9-year results from the QuEERPAM study. Infection, Genetics and Evolution 12, 282–290. , , et al. (
- UNICEF (2011). The State of the World's Children 2011. UNICEF, New York, NY.
- University of Malawi, Save the Children Federation USA, Malawi Ministry of Health and Population & MEASURE Evaluation (2004). Avoiding Unwanted Pregnancy and Sexually Transmitted Infections: A Rural Malawi District Study. MEASURE Evaluation, Chapel Hill, NC.
- UNSCN (2010) Progress in Nutrition. 6th Report on the World Nutrition Situation. UNSCN, Geneva.
- 2008) Maternal and child undernutrition: consequences for adult health and human capital. Maternal and Child Undernutrition Study Group. Lancet 371, 340–357. , , et al. (
- 1994) Chest circumference as a screening method for low birth weight in newborns in rural Tanzania. Tropical and Geographical Medicine 46, 14–16. , , , & (
- 2005) Intermittent presumptive treatment for malaria. PLoS Medicine 2, e3. (
- WHO (1993) Use of a simple anthropometric measurement to predict birth weight. WHO Collaborative Study of Birth Weight Surrogates. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 71, 157–163.
- WHO (2006). Child Growth Standards STATA Igrowup Package. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2010). World Malaria Report 2010. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2012) Global Malaria Program. Updated WHO Policy Recommendation (October 2012): Intermittent Preventive Treatment of malaria in pregnancy using Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine (IPTp-SP). WHO, Geneva.