The interplay between CD4 cell count, viral load suppression and duration of antiretroviral therapy on mortality in a resource-limited setting
Article first published online: 18 FEB 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 5, pages 619–631, May 2013
How to Cite
Brennan, A. T., Maskew, M., Sanne, I. and Fox, M. P. (2013), The interplay between CD4 cell count, viral load suppression and duration of antiretroviral therapy on mortality in a resource-limited setting. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 619–631. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12079
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 18 FEB 2013
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- ART-LINC of IeDEA Study Group, , et al. (2009) Switching to second-line antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings: comparison of programmes with and without viral load monitoring. AIDS 23, 1867–1874.
- 2001) Overview of the effectiveness of triple combination therapy in antiretroviral-naive HIV-1 infected adults. AIDS 15, 1369–1377. , , , & (
- 2006) Antiretroviral Therapy in Lower Income Countries (ART-LINC) Collaboration; ART Cohort Collaboration (ART-CC) groups. Mortality of HIV-1-infected patients in the first year of antiretroviral therapy: comparison between low-income and high-income countries. Lancet 367, 817–824. , , et al. (
- 2010) The importance of clinic attendance in the first six months on antiretroviral treatment: a retrospective analysis at a large public sector HIV clinic in South Africa. Journal of the International AIDS Society 13, 49. , , & (
- 2009) Mortality of HIV-infected patients starting antiretroviral therapy in Sub-Saharan Africa: comparison with HIV-unrelated mortality. PLoS Medicine 6, e1000066. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000066. , , et al. (
- 2003) Prognostic importance of initial response in HIV-1 infected patients starting potent antiretroviral therapy: analysis of prospective studies. Lancet 362, 679–686. Epub 2003/09/06. , , et al. (
- 2010) Temporal changes in programme outcomes among adult patients initiating antiretroviral therapy across South Africa, 2002–2007. AIDS 24, 2263–2270. , , et al. (
- 2000) Sustained CD4+ T cell response after virologic failure of protease inhibitor-based regimens in patients with HIV infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases 181, 946–953. , , , & (
- 2013) Male sex and the risk of mortality among individuals enrolled in antiretroviral therapy programs in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS 27, 417–425. , , et al. (
- 2002) Prognosis of HIV-1-infected patients starting highly active antiretroviral therapy: a collaborative analysis of prospective studies. Lancet 360, 119–129. , , et al. (
- 2009) Long-term patterns in CD4 response are determined by an interaction between baseline CD4 cell count, viral load, and time: the Asia Pacific HIV observational database (APHOD). Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 50, 513–520. , , et al. (
- 2006) Mortality and causes of death in adults receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy in Senegal: a 7-year cohort study. AIDS 20, 1181–1189. , , et al. (
- 2006) Scaling up of highly active antiretroviral therapy in a rural district of Malawi: an effectiveness assessment. Lancet 367, 1335–1342. , , et al. (
- 2010) Using vital registration data to update mortality among patients lost to follow-up from ART programmes: evidence from the Themba Lethu Clinic, South Africa. Tropical Medicine and International Health 15, 405–413. , , , & (
- 2012) Cohort profile: the Themba Lethu Clinical Cohort, Johannesburg, South Africa. International Journal of Epidemiology [Epub ahead of print]. Doi: 10.1093/ije/dys029. , , et al. (
- 2001) Longitudinal patterns of HIV type 1 RNA among individuals with late disease progression. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses 17, 1223–1229. , , et al. (
- 2008) Public-health and individual approaches to antiretroviral therapy: township South Africa and Switzerland compared. PLoS Medicine 5, e148. , , et al. (
- 2009) Prognosis of patients treated with cART from 36 months after initiation, according to current and previous CD4 cell count and plasma HIV-1 RNA measurements. AIDS 23, 2199–2208. , , et al. (
- 2005) Early mortality among adults accessing a community-based antiretroviral service in South Africa: implications for programme design. AIDS 19, 2141–2148. , , , & (
- 2006a) Determinants of mortality and nondeath losses from an antiretroviral treatment service in South Africa: implications for program evaluation. Clinical Infectious Diseases 43, 770–776. , , et al. (
- 2006b) Burden of tuberculosis in an antiretroviral treatment programme in sub-Saharan Africa: impact on treatment outcomes and implications for tuberculosis control. AIDS 20, 1605–1612. , , & (
- 2008) Early mortality among adults accessing antiretroviral treatment programmes in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS 22, 1897–1908. , , , & (
- 2009) Changing mortality risk associated with CD4 cell response to antiretroviral therapy in South Africa. AIDS 23, 335–342. , , et al. (
- 1999) Clinical progression and virologic failure on highly active antiretroviral therapy in HIV-1 patients: a prospective cohort study. Lancet 353, 863–868. , , et al. (
- 2009) Association between HIV-1 RNA level and CD4 cell count among untreated HIV-infected individuals. American Journal of Public Health 99, S193–S196. , , et al. (
- 2010) Prognosis of patients with HIV-1 infection starting antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa: a collaborative analysis of scale-up programmes. Lancet 376, 449–457. , , et al. (
- 1999) Risk of new AIDS diseases in people on triple therapy. Lancet 353, 463. , , et al. (
- 2003) Decline in the AIDS and death rates in the EuroSIDA study: an observational study. Lancet 362, 22–29. , , et al. (
- 2007) Incidence and determinants of mortality and morbidity following early antiretroviral therapy initiation in HIV-infected adults in West Africa. AIDS 21, 2483–2491. , , et al. (
- National Department of Health, Republic of South Africa (2004) National Antiretroviral Treatment Guidelines Jacana Publishers, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- National Department of Health, Republic of South Africa (2010) The South African Antiretroviral Treatment Guidelines. http://www.doh.gov.za/docs/factsheets/guidelines/art.pdf.
- 2003) Effectiveness of highly active antiretroviral therapy in Spanish cohorts of HIV seroconverters: differences by transmission category. AIDS 17, 353–359. , , et al. (
- 2010) Ongoing changes in HIV RNA levels during untreated HIV infection: implications for CD4 cell count depletion. AIDS 24, 1561–1567. , , et al. (
- 2011) Retention in HIV care between testing and treatment in Sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. PLoS Medicine 8. & (
- Rothman KJ & Greenland S (eds.) (1998). Modern Epidemiology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA.
- 1987). Multiple Imputation for Nonresponse in Surveys. John Wiley & Sons, New York. (
- SAS. The MI Procedure. http://support.sas.com/rnd/app/papers/miv802.pdf.
- SAS. The MIANALYZE Procedure. http://support.sas.com/rnd/app/papers/mianalyzev802.pdf.
- 2003) Association between adherence to antiretroviral therapy and human immunodeficiency virus drug resistance. Clinical Infectious Diseases 37, 1112–1118. , , , & (
- 2004) Factors influencing increases in CD4 cell counts of HIV-positive persons receiving long-term highly active antiretroviral therapy. Journal of Infectious Diseases 190, 1860–1868. , , et al. (
- Statistics South Africa (2005) Mortality and causes of death in South Africa, 1997-2003. Findings from death notification. P0309.3.
- 2005) Long-term effectiveness of potent antiretroviral therapy in preventing AIDS and death: a prospective cohort study. Lancet 366, 378–384. , , et al. (
- 2006) Rapid scale-up of antiretroviral therapy at primary care sites in Zambia: feasibility and early outcomes. JAMA 296, 782–793. , , et al. (
- The Opportunistic Infections Project Team of the Collaboration of Observational HIV Epidemiological Research in Europe (COHERE) in EuroCoord, Young J, Psichogiou M et al. (2012) CD4 Cell Count and the risk of AIDS or death in HIV-infected adults on combination antiretroviral therapy with a suppressed viral load: a longitudinal cohort study from COHERE. PLoS Medicine 9, e1001194. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001194.
- 2002). Mortality Trends in South Africa 1985–2000: From Apartheid to AIDS. South African Medical Research Council, Cape Town. , , & (
- 2003) Mortality and progression to AIDS after starting highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 17, 2227–2236. , , et al. (
- 2001) Influence of age on CD4 cell recovery in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy: evidence from the EuroSIDA study. Journal of Infectious Diseases 183, 1290–1294. , , et al. (
- World Health Organization (2007) Management of HIV Infection and Antiretroviral Therapy in Adults and Adolescents. A Clinical Manual. http://www.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/ Publications_Management_HIV_infection_antiretroviral_therapy_adults_adolescents.pdf. Accessed 8 April 2008.
- 2006) Risk factors for high early mortality in patients on antiretroviral treatment in a rural district of Malawi. AIDS 20, 2355–2360. , , et al. (
- 2004) A modified poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data. American Journal of Epidemiology 159, 702–706. (