Post-exposure prophylaxis in resource-poor settings: review and recommendations for pre-departure risk assessment and planning for expatriate healthcare workers
Version of Record online: 6 MAR 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 5, pages 588–595, May 2013
How to Cite
Vaid, N., Langan, K. M. and Maude, R. J. (2013), Post-exposure prophylaxis in resource-poor settings: review and recommendations for pre-departure risk assessment and planning for expatriate healthcare workers. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 588–595. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12080
- Issue online: 10 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 MAR 2013
- 2007) Epidemiology of hepatitis C virus infection. World journal of gastroenterology 13, 2436–2441. (
- 1989) Summary of safety and efficacy data on a yeast-derived hepatitis B vaccine. American Journal of Medicine 87, 14S–20S. (
- 1997) Prevention of simian immunodeficiency virus, SIVsm, or HIV-2 infection in cynomolgus monkeys by pre- and postexposure administration of BEA-005. AIDS 11, 157–162. , , , , , & (
- 1997) A case–control study of HIV seroconversion in health care workers after percutaneous exposure. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Needlestick Surveillance Group. New England Journal of Medicine 337, 1485–1490. , , et al. (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2001a) Serious adverse events attributed to nevirapine regimens for postexposure prophylaxis after HIV exposures–worldwide 1997-2000. MMWR. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 49, 1153–1156.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2001b) Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HBV, HCV, and HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis. MMWR. Recommendations and reports 50, 1–52.
- 2007) Percutaneous injuries among medical interns and their knowledge & practice of post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV. Indian Journal of Public Health 51, 127–129. & (
- 2010) The epinet data of four Indian hospitals on incidence of exposure of healthcare workers to blood and body fluid: a multicentric prospective analysis. Indian Journal of Medical Sciences 64, 540–548. , , , & (
- 2003) Management of healthcare workers after occupational exposure to hepatitis C virus. Medical Journal of Australia 179, 153–157. , , & (
- 2001) Post-exposure prophylaxis for human immunodeficiency virus: knowledge and experience of junior doctors. Sexually transmitted infections 77, 444–445. , & (
- Department of Health 2008. HIV Post-Exposure Prophylaxis: Guidance from the UK Chief Medical Officers' Expert Advisory Group on AIDS. Department of Health, London, UK.
- 2010) Post exposure prophylaxis of HIV transmission after occupational injuries in Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital, Blantyre, Malawi 2003 - 2008. Malawi medical journal : the journal of Medical Association of Malawi 22, 15–19. , , , , & (
- 2003) Percutaneous injury, blood exposure, and adherence to standard precautions: are hospital-based health care providers still at risk? Clinical Infectious Diseases 37, 1006–1013. , , , , , & (
- 2002) Policies for exposure to bloodborne pathogens among US-based international voluntary medical organizations. JAMA 288, 166. , & (
- 2006) Sharps injuries in UK health care: a review of injury rates, viral transmission and potential efficacy of safety devices. Occupational medicine 56, 566–574. & (
- 2010) Prevalence of needlestick injuries and other high risk exposures among healthcare workers in Jamaica. West Indian Medical Journal 59, 153–158. , , & (
- 2003) A review of the infection control policies for bloodborne viruses as applied to non-governmental organisations (NGOs). Travel medicine and infectious disease 1, 29–33. & (
- 2003) Acute hepatitis C: high rate of both spontaneous and treatment-induced viral clearance. Gastroenterology 125, 80–88. , , et al. (
- 2000) Exposure to human immunodeficiency virus among healthcare workers in South Africa. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 69, 265–270. & (
- HIV and STI Division Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre and Collaborators 2005. Occupational Transmission of HIV. Summary of Published Reports. Data to the End of December 2002. Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, London
- 2003) Use of injections in healthcare settings worldwide 2000: literature review and regional estimates. BMJ 327, 1075. , & (
- 2009) Needle stick injuries in a tertiary care hospital. Indian journal of medical microbiology 27, 44–47. , , , & (
- Joint United Nations Programme ON HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) 2011. UNAIDS World AIDS Day Report 2011, UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Joint WHO/ILO Expert Consultation for the Development of Policy and Guidelines on Occupational and Nonoccupational HIV Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) 2007. Post-Exposure Prophylaxis to Prevent HIV Infection. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2005) HIV-related knowledge, attitudes and risk perception amongst nurses, doctors and other healthcare workers in rural India. Indian Journal of Medical Research 122, 258–264. , , , & (
- 1999) Hepatitis B vaccine. In: Vaccines (eds SA Plotkin & WA Orenstein ) WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia. & (
- 2012) Raltegravir, tenofovir DF, and emtricitabine for postexposure prophylaxis to prevent the sexual transmission of HIV: safety, tolerability, and adherence. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 59, 354–359. , , & (
- 2005) Adherence to an occupational blood borne pathogens exposure management program among healthcare workers and other groups at risk in Argentina. The Brazilian journal of infectious diseases 9, 454–458. , , , , & (
- 2010) Human immunodeficiency virus postexposure prophylaxis for medical trainees on international rotations. Journal of travel medicine 17, 264–268. , & (
- 2005) Needle stick injuries among nurses in sub-Saharan Africa. Tropical medicine & international health 10, 773–781. & (
- 2011) Percutaneous injuries and accidental blood exposure in surgical residents: awareness and use of prophylaxis in relation to HIV. Nigerian journal of clinical practice 14, 34–37. & (
- 2007) Challenges in HIV post-exposure prophylaxis for occupational injuries in a large teaching hospital in Malawi. Tropical Doctor 37, 4–6. , , , , & (
- 2005) Updated U.S. Public Health Service guidelines for the management of occupational exposures to HIV and recommendations for postexposure prophylaxis. MMWR. Recommendations and reports 54, 1–17. , , , & (
- 2000) Tolerability and side-effects of post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV infection. Lancet 355, 722–723. , , , , & (
- 2005) Estimation of the global burden of disease attributable to contaminated sharps injuries among health-care workers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 48, 482–490. , & (
- 2007) Occupational exposures to bloodborne pathogens among healthcare workers in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Journal of Hospital Infection 65, 131–137. , , et al. (
- 2010) Study of needle stick injuries among health care workers at a tertiary care hospital. Indian Journal of Public Health 54, 18–20. , , & (
- 2011) Lack of risk-awareness and reporting behavior towards HIV infection through needlestick injury among European medical students. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health 214, 407–410. , , et al. (
- 1996) Occupationally acquired infections in health care workers. Part I. Annals of internal medicine 125, 826–834. (
- 1995) Occupational risk of infection with hepatitis B and hepatitis C virus. Surgical Clinics of North America 75, 1047–1056. (
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Cdc) and the African Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO/AFRO) 2001. Guidelines for Appropriate Evaluations of HIV Testing Technologies in Africa, Geneva, Switzlerland.
- 1998) Effectiveness of postinoculation (R)-9-(2-phosphonylmethoxypropyl) adenine treatment for prevention of persistent simian immunodeficiency virus SIVmne infection depends critically on timing of initiation and duration of treatment. Journal of Virology 72, 4265–4273. , , et al. (
- US Epinet Sharps Injury and Blood and Body Fluid Exposure Surveillance Research Group. 2012. University of Virginia: International Healthcare Worker Safety Center. Available: http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/pub/epinet [Accessed 20/12/2012 2012].
- 2005) Postexposure chemoprophylaxis for occupational exposure to human immunodeficiency virus in traveling health care workers. Journal of travel medicine 12, 14–18. & (
- 2010) Prevalence of injuries and reporting of accidents among health care workers at the University Hospital of the West Indies. International Journal of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health 23, 133–143. , , , & (
- 2003) HIV: awareness of management of occupational exposure in health care workers. Indian Journal of Medical Sciences 57, 192–198. (
- World Health Organization, International Labour Organization 2007. Post-Exposure Prophylaxis to Prevent HIV Infection: Joint WHO/ILO Guidelines on Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) to Prevent HIV Infection. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- 2005) Risk factors for hepatitis C virus transmission to health care workers after occupational exposure: a European case–control study. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 41, 1423–1430. , , et al. (
- 2007) Antiretroviral post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) for occupational HIV exposure. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews [electronic resource] 00283, 5. , , , & (
- 1986) Overview of clinical studies with hepatitis B vaccine made by recombinant DNA. Journal of Infection 13(Suppl. A), 39–45. , , & (
- 2009) HIV prone occupational exposures: epidemiology and factors associated with initiation of post-exposure prophylaxis. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 63, 373–378. , , , & (