Diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in a pastoralist population in Ethiopia: are three sputum specimens needed?
Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 5, pages 632–635, May 2013
How to Cite
Khogali, M., Tayler-Smith, K., Zachariah, R., Gbane, M., Zimble, S., Weyeyso, T. and Harries, A. D. (2013), Diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in a pastoralist population in Ethiopia: are three sputum specimens needed?. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 632–635. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12082
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
- 1997) Short-course tuberculosis chemotherapy in rural Somalia. East African Medical Journal 74, 348–352. (
- 1994) The effect of war on tuberculosis. Results of a tuberculin survey among displaced persons in El Salvador and a review of the literature. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 75, 251–259. & (
- 2011) Integrated strategies to optimize sputum smear microscopy. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine 183, 547–551. , , et al. (
- 2007) Tuberculosis in complex emergencies. Bulletin of World Health Organization 85, 569–648. (
- 2009) Pastoralism and delay in diagnosis of TB in Ethiopia. BMC Public Health 9, 5–9. , & (
- 1996) The yield of acid-fast bacilli from serial smears in routine microscopy laboratories in rural Tanzania. Transaction of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 90, 258–261. , & (
- 2007) Yield of serial sputum specimen examinations in the diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis: a systematic review. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 11, 485–495. , , et al. (
- 1999) Where health care has no access: the nomadic populations of sub-Saharan Africa. Tropical Medicine and International Health 4, 695–707. , (
- 2011) The experience of implementing a ‘TB village’ for a pastoralist population in Cherrati, Ethiopia. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 15, 1367–1372. , , et al. (
- 2007) STROBE Initiative. Strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. British Medical Journal 335, 806–808. , , , , & (
- 2001) Public health in times of war and famine: what can be done? What should be done? Journal of the American Medical Association 286, 588–590. (
- WHO. (2007). Communicable diseases epidemiological profile for the Horn of Africa. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.who.int/diseasecontrol_emergencies/toolkits/Hoa2.pdf. (accessed 10 September, 2012.
- WHO (2010). Treatment of Tuberculosis Guidelines. WHO/HTM/TB/2009.420.4th Edn. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241547833_eng.pdf. (accessed 11 September), 2012.