Cost-effectiveness of nurse-led versus doctor-led antiretroviral treatment in South Africa: pragmatic cluster randomised trial
Article first published online: 11 MAR 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 6, pages 769–777, June 2013
How to Cite
Barton, G. R., Fairall, L., Bachmann, M. O., Uebel, K., Timmerman, V., Lombard, C. and Zwarenstein, M. (2013), Cost-effectiveness of nurse-led versus doctor-led antiretroviral treatment in South Africa: pragmatic cluster randomised trial. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 769–777. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12093
- Issue published online: 20 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 11 MAR 2013
- 2009) Estimation of adult antiretroviral treatment coverage in South Africa. South African Medical Journal 99, 661–667. & (
- 2007) Methods for analyzing cost effectiveness data from cluster randomized trials. Cost Effectiveness and Resource Allocation 5, 12. , , & (
- 2008) Optimal cost-effective decisions: the role of the cost-effectiveness acceptability curve (CEAC), cost-effectiveness acceptability frontier (CEAF) and expected value of perfect information (EVPI). Value Health 11, 886–897. , & (
- 2006) The cost-effectiveness of Antiretroviral Treatment in Khayelitsha, South Africa – a primary data analysis. Cost Effectiveness and Resource Allocation 4, 20. , & (
- 2005). Methods for the Economic Evaluation of Health Care Programmes, 3rd edn. Oxford University Press, New York. , , , & (
- 2005) Effect of educational outreach to nurses on tuberculosis case detection and primary care of respiratory illness: pragmatic cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ 331, 750–754. , , , et al. (
- 2008a) Effectiveness of antiretroviral treatment in a South African program: cohort study. Archives of Internal Medicine 168, 86–93. , , , et al. (
- 2008b) Streamlining tasks and roles to expand treatment and care for HIV: randomised controlled trial protocol. Trials 9, 21. , , , et al. (
- 2010) Cost effectiveness of educational outreach to primary care nurses to improve respiratory care: economic evaluation alongside a randomised trial. Tropical medicine and international health 15, 277–286. , , , et al. (
- 2012) Task shifting of antiretroviral treatment from doctors to primary-care nurses in South Africa (STRETCH): a pragmatic, parallel, cluster-randomised trial. Lancet 380, 889–898. , , , et al. (
- 2012) Implementing nurse-initiated and managed antiretroviral treatment (NIMART) in South Africa: a qualitative process evaluation of the STRETCH trial. Implementation Science 7, 66. , , , et al. (
- 2000). Personal Information in Medical Research (MRC Ethics Series). MRC, London. , , , et al. (
- 1994) Costs, effects and C/E-ratios alongside a clinical trial. Health Economics 3, 309–319. , , & (
- 2010) Cost effectiveness of a day hospital falls prevention programme for screened community dwelling older people at high risk of falls. Age Aging 39, 710–716. , , , et al. (
- 2009) Rates of virological failure in patients treated in a home-based versus a facility-based HIV-care model in Jinja, southeast Uganda: a cluster-randomised equivalence trial. Lancet 374, 2080–2089. , , , et al. (
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS). Global Report: UNAIDS report on the global AIDS epidemic Geneva, 2010. Available at http://www.unaids.org/documents/20101123_GlobalReport_em.pdf (Accessed 23 July 2012).
- 2004) Substitution of doctors by nurses in primary care. Cochrane Database Systematic Review 4, CD001271. , , , , & (
- 2005) Early mortality among adults accessing a community-based antiretroviral service in South Africa: implications for programme design. AIDS 19, 2141–2148. , , , & (
- Treatment outcomes and cost-effectiveness of shifting management of stable ART patients to nurses in South Africa: An observational cohort. PLoS Med 8, e1001055. , , , et al. (in press)
- Medical Research Council (2002). Cluster Randomised Trials – Methodological and Ethical Considerations (MRC Clinical Trial Series). MRC, London.
- NICE. Guide to the Methods of Technology Appraisal. National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) publications, London, 2008.
- 2005) Methods for incorporating covariate adjustment, subgroup analysis and between-centre differences into cost-effectiveness evaluations. Health Economics 14, 1217–1229. & (
- 2010) Nurse versus doctor management of HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy (CIPRA-SA): a randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet 376, 33–40. , , , et al. (
- 2008) Cost-effectiveness of malaria diagnostic methods in sub-Saharan Africa in an era of combination therapy. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86, 101–110. , , , et al. (
- 2003) Cost and cost-effectiveness of community-based care for tuberculosis in Cape Town, South Africa. The international journal of tuberculosis and lung disease 7, S56–S62. , , , , & (
- South African National Department of Health. National antiretroviral treatment guidelines (1st Edition). Jacana (Minuteman Press) Department of Health, 2004a. http://www.doh.gov.za (Accessed 23 July 2012).
- South African National Department of Health. National Antiretroviral Treatment Guidelines. Department of Health, 2004b. http://www.kznhealth.gov.za/arv/arv5.pdf (Accessed 2 March 2013).
- Statistics South Africa. Consumer Price Index excluding interest rates on mortgage bonds (CPIX). 2010. http://www.statssa.gov.za/keyindicators/cpix.asp (Accessed 23 July 2012).
- 2011) Task shifting and integration of HIV care into primary care in South Africa: the development and content of the streamlining tasks and roles to expand treatment and care of HIV (STRETCH) intervention. Implementation Science 6, 86. , , , et al. (
- World Health Organisation. Task Shifting to Tackle Health Worker Shortages. WHO, Geneva, 2007
- World Health Organisation. Treatment of TB guidelines (4th edition). WHO Press, Geneva, 2010. www.who.int/tb (Accessed 23 July 2012).
- 2011) Outreach education integrates HIV/AIDS/ART and Tuberculosis care in South African primary care clinics: a pragmatic cluster randomized trial. BMJ 342, d2022. , , , et al. (