The relationship between antenatal provider type and maternal care in rural Ghana: a cross-sectional study
Version of Record online: 5 APR 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 6, pages 678–686, June 2013
How to Cite
Atunah-Jay, S. J., Pettingell, S., Ohene, S.-A., Michael Oakes, J. and Borowsky, I. W. (2013), The relationship between antenatal provider type and maternal care in rural Ghana: a cross-sectional study. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 678–686. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12098
- Issue online: 20 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 5 APR 2013
- 2003) Antenatal Care in Developing Countries: Promises, Achievements and Missed Opportunities: An Analysis Of Trends, Levels and Differentials, 1990–2001. World Health Organization, Geneva. & (
- 2006) Providing Doorstep Services to Underserved Rural Populations: Community Health Officers in Ghana. Capacity Project, USAID Global Health/HIV/AIDS, and the Africa Bureau Office of Sustainable Development, Chapel Hill. , & (
- 1999) Reforming health service delivery at district level in Ghana: the perspective of a district medical officer. Health Policy and Planning 14, 59–69. (
- 2004) Human resources and health outcomes: cross-country econometric study. Lancet 364, 1603–1609. & (
- 2012) Wealth and antenatal care use: implications for maternal health care utilization in Ghana. Health Economics Review 2, 14. (
- 2004) Bridging the gap between evidence-based innovation and national health-sector reform in Ghana. Studies in Family Planning 35, 161–177. , , , , & (
- 2010) Countdown to 2015 decade report (2000–10): taking stock of maternal, newborn, and child survival. Lancet 375, 2032–2044. , , et al. (
- 2007) Rapid achievement of the child survival millennium development goal: evidence from the Navrongo experiment in Northern Ghana. Tropical Medicine & International Health 12, 578–583. , , , , & (
- 2009) In-depth review of the Community-Based Health Planning Services (CHPS) programme: a report of the Annual Health Sector Review. , , et al. (
- 2006) Acceptability and Feasibility of Introducing the WHO Focused Antenatal Care Package in Ghana. Population Council, New York. , , et al. (
- 2010) Task shifting in Mozambique: cross-sectional evaluation of non-physician clinicians' performance in HIV/AIDS care. Human Resources for Health 8, 23. , , et al. (
- 2007) Postoperative outcome of ceasarean sections and other major emergency obstetric surgery by clinical officers and medical officers in Malawi. Human Resources for Health 5, 17. , , , , & (
- 2004) Using mid-level cadres as substitutes for internationally mobile health professionals in Africa. A desk review. Human Resources for Health 2, 7. (
- 2011) Health workforce skill mix and task shifting in low income countries: a review of recent evidence. Human Resources for Health 9, 1. , , , , & (
- GHS (2008) The Health Sector in Ghana: Facts and Figures 2008. GHS, Accra.
- GMOH (2010) Independent Review Health Sector Programme of Work 2009 (Draft Report). GMOH, Accra.
- Ghana Statistical Service (GSS), Health Research Unit, Ministry of Health (MOH), ORC Macro (2003) Service Provision Assessment Survey 2002. GSS, MOH, and ORC Macro, Maryland.
- GSS, GHS, & Macro International (2009a) Ghana Maternal Health Survey 2007. GSS, GHS, and Macro International, Maryland.
- GSS, GHS, & ICF Macro (2009b) Ghana Demographic and Health Survey 2008. GSS, GHS, and ICF Macro, Accra.
- 2011) Human resources for maternal, newborn and child health: from measurement and planning to performance for improved health outcomes. Human Resources for Health 9, 16. , , et al. (
- 2004) How to bridge the gap in human resources for health. Lancet 364, 1451–1456. & (
- 2007) Economic evaluation of surgically trained assistant medical officers in performing major obstetric surgery in Mozambique. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 114, 1253–1260. , , , & (
- 2009) Are doctors and nurses associated with coverage of essential health services in developing countries? A cross-sectional study Human Resources for Health 7, 27. , , & (
- 2010) Community-based intervention packages for reducing maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality and improving neonatal outcomes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 11, CD007754. , & (
- 2005) Substitution of doctors by nurses in primary care. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2, CD001271. , , , , & (
- 2000) Assessing malaria treatment and control at peer facilities in Malawi. Quality Assurance Case Study. Published for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) by the Quality Assurance Project. & (
- 1997) Regression Models for Categorical and Limited Dependent Variables. SAGE Publications, Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA. (
- 2010) Ghana's National Health Insurance Scheme in the context of the health MDGs: an empirical evaluation using propensity score matching. Health Economics 19, 95–106. , & (
- 2011) Can lay community health workers be trained to use diagnostics to distinguish and treat malaria and pneumonia in children? Lessons from rural Uganda Tropical Medicine & International Health 16, 1234–1242. , , et al. (
- 2007) Non-physician clinicians in 47 sub-Saharan African countries. Lancet 370, 2158–2163. & (
- 2012) Quality of antenatal care services in the Birim North District of Ghana: contribution of the community-based health planning and services program. Maternal and Child Health Journal 16, 1709–1717. , , , , & (
- 2005) The Ghana community-based health planning and services initiative for scaling up service delivery innovation. Health Policy and Planning 20, 25–34. , , , & (
- 2006) The Emerging Midwifery Crisis in Ghana: Mapping of Midwives and Service Availability Highlights Gaps in Maternal Care. Published for USAID by The Policy Project. , , , & (
- 2007) Effect of multiple interventions on community health workers' adherence to clinical guidelines in Siaya district, Kenya. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 101, 188–202. , , et al. (
- 2006) Guide to DHS Statistics. Demographic and Health Surveys and ORC Macro, Calverton, Maryland. & (
- 2009) Agreement between physicians and non-physician clinicians in starting antiretroviral therapy in rural Uganda. Human Resources for Health 7, 75. , , et al. (
- WHO (2006) Working Together for Health: The World Health Report 2006. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2008) Task Shifting: Global Recommendations and Guidelines. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2009) Integrated Management of Pregnancy and Childbirth: WHO Recommended Interventions for Improving Maternal and Newborn Health. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2010) Increasing Access to Health Workers in Remote and Rural Areas Through Improved Retention: Global Policy Recommendations. WHO, Geneva.