The internal migration between public and faith-based health providers: a cross-sectional, retrospective and multicentre study from southern Tanzania
Article first published online: 4 APR 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 7, pages 887–897, July 2013
How to Cite
Tabatabai, P., Prytherch, H., Baumgarten, I., Kisanga, O. M. E., Schmidt-Ehry, B. and Marx, M. (2013), The internal migration between public and faith-based health providers: a cross-sectional, retrospective and multicentre study from southern Tanzania. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 887–897. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12107
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2013
- Quest for Quality - Interventions to Improve Human Resources for Health among Faith-Based Organisations. 2009. Cordaid and Royal Tropical Institute. Available at: http://www.medicusmundi.org/en/contributions/reports/2009/quest-for-quality/q4q (Accessed on 06 March 2013). , , et al.
- International nurse mobility: trends and policy implications. 2003. Geneva, Royal College of Nursing/World Health Organization/International Council of Nurses. Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2003/WHO_EIP_OSD_2003.3.pdf (Accessed on 06 March 2013). , &
- 1992) Staff turnover among hospital nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing 17, 1369–1376. & (
- 2004) Human resources for health: overcoming the crisis. Lancet 364, 1984–1990. , , et al. (
- 2007) Sub-Saharan Africa: beyond the health worker migration crisis? Social Science and Medicine 64, 1876–1891. , , , & (
- 2007) Impact of job satisfaction components on intent to leave and turnover for hospital-based nurses: a review of the research literature. International Journal of Nursing Studies 44, 297–314. & (
- 2004) Data on the migration of health-care workers: sources, uses, and challenges. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 82, 601–607. (
- 2005) Brain drain from developing countries: how can brain drain be converted into wisdom gain? Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 98, 487–491. & (
- 2006) Not enough there, too many here: understanding geographical imbalances in the distribution of the health workforce. Human Resources for Health 4, 12. & (
- 2008) Do mission hospitals have a role in achieving Millennium Development Goal 5? International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 102, 198–202. & (
- 1994) The potential of health sector non-governmental organizations: policy options. Health Policy and Planning 9, 14–24. , , & (
- 2003) Uses of population census data for monitoring geographical imbalance in the health workforce: snapshots from three developing countries. International Journal for Equity in Health 2, 11. , , & (
- HERA. Technical Review 2005 - Public Private Partnership for Equitable Provision of Quality Heath Services. 2005. Available at: http://www.tzonline.org/pdf/publicprivatepartnershipforequitableprovisionofquality.pdf (Accessed on 06 March 2013).
- 2011) Measuring client satisfaction and the quality of family planning services: a comparative analysis of public and private health facilities in Tanzania, Kenya and Ghana. BMC Health Services Research 11, 203. , & (
- Activism During Doctor's Strike in Tanzania, Success and Setbacks. Social Science Research Network (SSRN). 2012. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2129021 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2129021 (Accessed on 06 March 2013). .
- 2006) The importance of human resources management in health care: a global context. Human Resources for Health 4, 20. , , , & (
- 2004) Decentralization's impact on the health workforce: perspectives of managers, workers and national leaders. Human Resources for Health 2, 5. (
- 2009) Bypassing primary care facilities for childbirth: a population-based study in rural Tanzania. Health Policy and Planning 24, 279–288. , , et al. (
- 2003) Predicting registered nurse job satisfaction and intent to leave. Journal of Nursing Administration 33, 271–283. , , et al. (
- 2007) Variations in the quality of care accessible to rural communities in Tanzania. Health Affairs (Millwood) 26, w380–w392. & (
- 2004) Poor people's experiences of health services in Tanzania: a literature review. Reproductive Health Matters 12, 138–153. & (
- 2006) Health worker motivation in Africa: the role of non-financial incentives and human resource management tools. Human Resources for Health 4, 24. & (
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark. Joint External Evaluation - The Health Sector in Tanzania, 1999-2006. 2007. Available at: http://hdptz.esealtd.com/fileadmin/documents/Key_Sector_Documents/External_Evaluation_Documents/Tz_Joint_External_Evaluation_Report__1999-2006_.pdf (Accessed on 06 March 2013)
- 2005) The metrics of the physician brain drain. New England Journal of Medicine 353, 1810–1818. (
- 2009) Measuring inequalities in the distribution of health workers: the case of Tanzania. Human Resources for Health 7, 4. & (
- 2008) Challenges of retaining health workers in the PNFP Sector: the Case of Uganda Catholic Health Network. Health Policy and Development Journal 6, 31–36. (
- 2011) Emergency obstetric surgery by non-physician clinicians in Tanzania. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 114, 180–183. , , , & (
- 2010) Job satisfaction and motivation of health workers in public and private sectors: cross-sectional analysis from two Indian states. Human Resources for Health 8, 27. , , & (
- 2009) Work satisfaction of professional nurses in South Africa: a comparative analysis of the public and private sectors. Human Resources for Health 7, 15. (
- 2012) Brain drain and health workforce distortions in Mozambique. PLoS ONE 7, e35840. , , et al. (
- 2011) Perceived unfairness in working conditions: the case of public health services in Tanzania. BMC Health Services Research 11, 34. , , & (
- 2012) Why do health workers in rural Tanzania prefer public sector employment? BMC Health Services Research 12, 92. , , & (
- Tanzania MoH (Ministry of Health). National Health Policy. 2003. Dar es Salaam. Available at: http://www.healthresearchweb.org/files/Tanzania%20National%20Health%20Policy%202003.pdf (Accessed on 06 March 2013).
- Tanzania MoHSW (Ministry of Health and Social Welfare). Primary Health Services Development Programme (PHSDP) 2007-2017. 2007. Available at: http://www.moh.go.tz/documents/FINAL%20MMAM%2026.11.2007.pdf (Accessed on 06 March 2013).
- Tanzania MoHSW (Ministry of Health and Social Welfare). Annual Health Statistical Abstract - Tanzania Mainland 2008. 2008a. Available at: http://www.moh.go.tz/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=85&view=finish&cid=11&catid=9 (Accessed on 06 March 2013)
- Tanzania MoHSW (Ministry of Health and Social Welfare). Health Sector Strategic Plan III - Partnership for Delivering the MDGs July 2009 - June 2015. 2008b. Available at: http://www.unfpa.org/sowmy/resources/docs/library/R226_MOHTanzania_2009_HSSP_III.pdf (Accessed on 06 March 2013).
- Tanzania MoHSW (Ministry of Health and Social Welfare). Human Resource for Health Strategic Plan 2008–2013. 2008c. Available at: http://hdptz.esealtd.com/fileadmin/documents/Key_Sector_Documents/HRH_Documents/Human_Resources_for_Health_Strategic_Plan-_2008-2013_.pdf (Accessed on 06 March 2013).
- Tanzania NBS (National Bureau of Statistics). Tanzania National Population and Housing Census 2002. 2002. Available at: Forwarded by the National Bureau of Statistics and available at Beuth University - Department III Civil Engineering and Geoinformation - Laboratory for Geodata Analysis and Visualization, Berlin/Germany.
- The Capacity Project. Job Satisfaction Survey - Interview Schedule for Providers in Post (Long Version). 2006. 30-4-2012. Available at: http://www.hrhresourcecenter.org/hosted_docs/Job_Satisfaction_Tool_A.doc (Accessed on 06 March 2013).
- The World Bank. The World Bank Indicators. 2011. 28-8-2012. Available at: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.GROW?page=1 (Accessed on 06 March 2013).
- TNMC (Tanzania Nurses and Midwives Council). Standard of Proficiency for Nursing Education & Practice in Tanzania. 2007. Available at: http://www.tnmc.go.tz/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=85&view=finish&cid=19&catid=7&m=0 (Accessed on 06 March 2013).
- 2002) The influence of nurses’ working motivation and job satisfaction on intention to quit: an empirical investigation in Taiwan. International Journal of Nursing Studies 39, 867–878. (
- 2004) The role of wages in the migration of health care professionals from developing countries. Human Resources for Health 2, 3. , , , & (
- WHO. The World Health Report 2006 - Working Together for Health. 2006. The World Health Organisation. Chapter 5, p.87 fff. Available at: http://www.who.int/whr/2006/whr06_en.pdf (Accessed on 06 March 2013).