Have we improved use of medicines in developing and transitional countries and do we know how to? Two decades of evidence
Article first published online: 7 MAY 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 6, pages 656–664, June 2013
How to Cite
Holloway, K. A., Ivanovska, V., Wagner, A. K., Vialle-Valentin, C. and Ross-Degnan, D. (2013), Have we improved use of medicines in developing and transitional countries and do we know how to? Two decades of evidence. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 656–664. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12123
- Issue published online: 20 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 7 MAY 2013
- 2005) Assessing quality of patient care in health centres. Pharmacological Oman 1, 11. & (
- 2006) European surveillance of antibiotic consumption (ESAC): outpatient antibiotic use in Europe. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 58, 401–407. , , et al. (
- 2008) Factors influencing the implementation of clinical guidelines for health care professionals: a meta-review. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 8, 38. , , & (
- 2007) Inappropriate prescribing in the elderly. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics 32, 113–121. , & (
- 2009) Quality of medication use in primary care – mapping the problem, working to a solution: a systematic review of the literature. BMC Medicine 7, 50. , , , & (
- 2003) From best evidence to best practice: effective implementation of change in patients'care. Lancet 362, 1225–1230. & (
- 2011) Combating inappropriate use of medicines. Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology 4, 335–348. (
- ICIUM (1997, 2004&2011) International Conferences for Improving the Use of Medicines, 1997, 2004 and 2011. http://www.icium.org (accessed 1 March 2012).
- International Network for Rational Use of Drugs (2010) INRUD Bibliography. URL: http://www.inrud.org/Bibliographies/INRUD-Bibliography.cfm (accessed 17 July 2012).
- 2006) Audit and feedback: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews, CD000259. , , , & (
- 1994) A study of prescribing patterns at different health care facilities in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. East African Medical Journal 71, 314–316. & (
- Ministry of Health Ethiopia (2003) Assessment of the Pharmaceutical Sector in Ethiopia. Ministry of Health, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, World Health Organisation.
- 2005) Antibiotic use following a Korean national policy to prohibit medication dispensing by physicians. Health Policy and Planning 20, 302–309. , , , , & (
- 1997) Improving pharmaceutical use in primary care in developing countries: a critical review of experience and lack of experience. Paper presented at the 1st International Conference on Improving the Use of Medicines, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 1–4 April. , , et al. (
- 2005) How can we achieve and maintain high-quality performance of health workers in low resource settings? Lancet 366, 1026–1035. , , & (
- 2003). Adherence to Long-term Therapies. Evidence for action. Geneva, World Health Organisation. (
- 2005) Getting evidence into practice: what works in developing countries? International Journal for Quality in Health Care 17, 447–453. , & (
- 2009) Strategic opportunities for effective optimal prescribing and medication management. The Canadian Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 16, e103–e125. , & (
- 2002) Treatment of upper respiratory tract infections – a comparative study of dispensing and non-dispensing doctors. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics 27, 289–299. & (
- 2002) Prescription habits of dispensing and non-dispensing doctors in Zimbabwe. Health Policy and Planning 17, 288–295. , & (
- 1998) Implementing guidelines and innovations in practice: which interventions are effective? British Journal of General Practice 48, 991–997. , & (
- WHO (1985) The rational use of drugs. Report of the conference of experts. World Health Organisation, Geneva.
- WHO (1993) How to Investigate Drug Use in Health Facilities: Selected Drug Use Indicators. World Health Organisation, Geneva.
- WHO (2002) Promoting rational use of medicines: core components. WHO Policy Perspectives of Medicines, no.5. World Health Organisation, Geneva.
- WHO (2007) Progress in the rational use of medicines. World Health Assembly Resolution, WHA60.16, World Health Organisation, Geneva. http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHASSA_WHA60-Rec1/E/reso-60-en.pdf, page 71 (accessed 1 March 2012).
- WHO (2009) Medicines use in primary care in developing and transitional countries: Fact book summarizing results from studies reported between 1990 and 2006. (WHO/EMP/MAR/2009.3) World Health Organisation, Geneva.
- WHO (2010a) Country Pharmaceutical Situations: Fact Book on WHO Level I Indicators 2007. (WHO/EMP/MPC/2010.1) World Health Organisation, Geneva.
- WHO (2010b) The World Health Report – Health systems financing: the path to universal coverage. WHO, Geneva. ISBN 978 92 4 1564021. URL: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/whr/2010/9789241564021_eng.pdf (accessed 29 August 2012).