Both authors contributed equally to this work.
Provision of bednets and water filters to delay HIV-1 progression: cost-effectiveness analysis of a Kenyan multisite study
Article first published online: 10 MAY 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 8, pages 916–924, August 2013
How to Cite
Kern, E., Verguet, S., Yuhas, K., Odhiambo, F. H., Kahn, J. G. and Walson, J. (2013), Provision of bednets and water filters to delay HIV-1 progression: cost-effectiveness analysis of a Kenyan multisite study. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 916–924. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12127
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 10 MAY 2013
- 2009) The economic burden of inpatient paediatric care in Kenya: household and provider costs for treatment of pneumonia, malaria and meningitis. Cost Eff Resour Alloc 7, 3. , , & (
- 2010) Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality in 2008: a systematic analysis. Lancet 375, 1969–1987. , , et al. (
- 2002) Diarrhea, CD4 counts and enteric infections in a community-based cohort of HIV-infected adults in Uganda. Journal of Infection 45, 99–106. , , et al. (
- 2010) The economic costs of malaria in four Kenyan districts: do household costs differ by disease endemicity? Malaria Journal 9, 149. , & (
- 2006) Interventions to improve water quality for preventing diarrhoea. Cochrane Database Systematic Review 3, CD004794. , , , & (
- 2007) Cost-effectiveness of water quality interventions for preventing diarrhoeal disease in developing countries. J Water Health 5, 599–608. , , , & (
- 2011) Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. The New England Journal of Medicine 365, 493–505. , , et al. (
- 1987) Persistent diarrhea, strongly associated with HIV infection in Kinshasa, Zaire. American Journal of Gastroenterology 82, 859–864. , , et al. (
- 2005) Household based treatment of drinking water with flocculant-disinfectant for preventing diarrhoea in areas with turbid source water in rural western Kenya: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ (Clinical research ed) 331, 478. , , et al. (
- 2008) Causes of deaths using verbal autopsy among adolescents and adults in rural western Kenya. Tropical Medicine & International Health: TM & IH 13, 1314–1324. , , , , & (
- 2005a) Integrating insecticide-treated bednets into a measles vaccination campaign achieves high, rapid and equitable coverage with direct and voucher-based methods. Tropical Medicine and International Health 10, 1151–1160. , , et al. (
- 2005b) Distributing insecticide-treated bednets during measles vaccination: a low-cost means of achieving high and equitable coverage. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 83, 195–201. , , et al. (
- 2009) Critical choices in financing the response to the global HIV/AIDS pandemic. Health Aff (Millwood) 28, 1591–1605. , , et al. (
- 2010) Financing of HIV/AIDS programme scale-up in low-income and middle-income countries, 2009-31. Lancet 376, 1254–1260. , , , , & (
- Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (2011) Financing Global Health 2011: Continued GROWTH as MDG deadline Approaches. Seattle, WA: Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation.
- Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) (2010) Development Assistance for Health Country and Regional Recipient Level Database 1990–2008. Seattle, WA: Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation.
- 2006 Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries. 2nd edn Washington, DC: World Bank. , , et al., ed.
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS 2008 Sub-Saharan Africa: AIDS Epidemic Update Regional Summary. Geneva, Switzerland: Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS.
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS 2010 Global Report: UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic. Geneva, Switzerland: Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS.
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (2011) UNAIDS World AIDS Day Report: 2011. Geneva, Switzerland: Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS.
- 2011) Cost of community integrated prevention campaign for malaria, HIV, and diarrhea in rural Kenya. BMC Health Services Research 11, 346. , , et al. (
- 2012) Integrated HIV testing, malaria, and diarrhea prevention campaign in Kenya: modeled health impact and cost-effectiveness. PLoS ONE 7, e31316. , , et al. (
- 2010) When to start antiretroviral therapy. Top HIV Med 18, 121–126. (
- 2006) Advancement of global health: key messages from the Disease Control Priorities Project. Lancet 367, 1193–1208. , , et al. (
- 2011) Net benefits: a multicountry analysis of observational data examining associations between insecticide-treated mosquito nets and health outcomes. PLoS Med 8, e1001091. , , et al. (
- 2006 Global Burden of Disease and Risk Factors. Washington D.C.: World Bank. , , , &
- 2011) Progress towards Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 on maternal and child mortality: an updated systematic analysis. Lancet 378, 1139–1165. , , et al. (
- 2011) Cost-effectiveness of parenteral artesunate for treating children with severe malaria in sub-Saharan Africa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 89, 504–512. , , et al. (
- MEASURE DHS. 2012 Kenya demographic and health survey 2008-9: STATcompiler. [cited 2012 October 2]; Available from: http://statcompiler.com/.
- 2011) The cost of providing comprehensive HIV treatment in PEPFAR-supported programs. AIDS 25, 1753–1760. , , et al. (
- 2006) Association between malaria and CD4 cell count decline among persons with HIV. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 41, 129–130. , & (
- 1997) Risk factors for diarrheal duration. American Journal of Epidemiology 146, 776–785. , , & (
- 2010) Effect of treating co-infections on HIV-1 viral load: a systematic review. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 10, 455–463. & (
- 1997) Understanding DALYs (disability-adjusted life years). J Health Econ 16, 703–730. & (
- 2008) Cost-effectiveness of malaria diagnostic methods in sub-Saharan Africa in an era of combination therapy. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86, 101–110. , , et al. (
- 2006) Cost-effectiveness of home-based chlorination and safe water storage in reducing diarrhea among HIV-affected households in rural Uganda. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 74, 884–890. , , et al. (
- 2003 The Public Health Burden of Plasmodium Falciparum in Africa: Deriving the Numbers. Bethesda, MD: Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health. , , &
- 2009) Rotavirus disease burden and impact and cost-effectiveness of a rotavirus vaccination program in kenya. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 200(Suppl 1), S76–S84. , , et al. (
- 2008) Albendazole treatment of HIV-1 and helminth co-infection: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. AIDS 22, 1601–1609. , , et al. (
- 2009) Deworming helminth co-infected individuals for delaying HIV disease progression. Cochrane Database Systematic Review 3, CD006419. , & (
- 2013) Evaluation of impact of long-lasting insecticide-treated bed nets and point-of-use water filters on HIV-1 disease progression in Kenya. AIDS 27 [Epub ahead of print]. , , et al. (
- 2000) Effect of HIV-1 and increasing immunosuppression on malaria parasitaemia and clinical episodes in adults in rural Uganda: a cohort study. Lancet 356, 1051–1056. , , et al. (
- WHO 2010 Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV Infection in Adults and Adolescents: Recommendations for a Public Health Approach - 2010 Revision. Geneva: World Health Organization.
- WHO 2011 Mortality and Burden of Disease Estimates for WHO Member States in 2008. Geneva: World Health Organization.
- World Health Organization (2011) Global HIV/AIDS Response: Epidemic Update and Health Sector Progress Towards Universal Access. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.