Paediatric HIV care in sub-Saharan Africa: clinical presentation and 2-year outcomes stratified by age group
Version of Record online: 20 JUN 2013
© 2014 The Authors. Tropical Medicine and International Health published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 9, pages 1065–1074, September 2013
How to Cite
Ben-Farhat, J., Gale, M., Szumilin, E., Balkan, S., Poulet, E. and Pujades-Rodríguez, M. (2013), Paediatric HIV care in sub-Saharan Africa: clinical presentation and 2-year outcomes stratified by age group. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1065–1074. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12142
- Issue online: 12 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 20 JUN 2013
- 2011) Tuberculosis in human immunodeficiency virus infected Ugandan children starting on antiretroviral therapy. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 15, 1082–1086. , , et al. (
- 2010) Short-term risk of HIV disease progression and death in Ugandan children not eligible for antiretroviral therapy. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 55, 330–335. , , et al. (
- 2007) Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international survey. BMJ 335, 194. , , & (
- Cross Continents Collaboration for Kids (3Cs4kids) Analysis and Writing Committee (2008) Markers for predicting mortality in untreated HIV-infected children in resource-limited settings: a meta-analysis. AIDS 22, 97–105.
- 2011) Severe morbidity and mortality in untreated HIV-infected children in a paediatric care programme in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire, 2004-2009. BMC Infectious Diseases 11, 182. , , et al. (
- 2010) Early mortality and loss to follow-up in HIV-infected children starting antiretroviral therapy in Southern Africa. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 54, 524–532. , , et al. (
- 2012) Short- and long-term immunological and virological outcome in HIV-infected infants according to the age at antiretroviral treatment initiation. Clinical Infectious Diseases 54, 878–881. , , et al. (
- 2012) Dynamics and constraints of early infant diagnosis of HIV infection in Rural Kenya. AIDS and Behavior 16, 5–12. , , et al. (
- 2009) High incidence of tuberculosis among HIV-infected infants: evidence from a South African population-based study highlights the need for improved tuberculosis control strategies. Clinical Infectious Diseases 48, 108–114. , , et al. (
- 2010) Causes of early mortality in HIV-infected TB suspects in an East African referral hospital. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 55, 446–50. , , et al. (
- 2012) Early antiretroviral therapy improves neurodevelopmental outcomes in infants. AIDS 26, 1685–1690. , , et al. (
- 2011) TB and HIV in children – advances in prevention and management. Paediatric Respiratory Reviews 12, 39–45. , & (
- 2010) Vital statu of pre-ART and ART patients defaulting from care in rural Malawi. TMIH 15, 55–62. , , et al. (
- 2012) Treatment initiation, program attrition and patient treatment outcomes associated with scale-up and decentralization of HIV care in rural Malawi. PLoS ONE 7, e38044. , , et al. (
- 2012) Retention of HIV-infected children on antiretroviral treatment in HIV care and treatment programs in Kenya, Mozambique, Rwanda and Tanzania. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 62, e70–e81. , , et al. (
- 2012) Mortality of HIV-infected and uninfected children in a longitudinal cohort in rural south-west Uganda during 8 years of follow-up. Tropical Medicine & International Health 17, 836–843. , , , , & (
- 2004) Child mortality and HIV infection in Africa: a review. AIDS 18(Suppl 2), S27–S34. , & (
- 2012) Effectiveness of antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected children under 2 years of age. Cochrane Database Systematic Review 7, CD004772. , , , & (
- 2010) Early versus deferred antiretroviral therapy in children in low-income and middle-income countries. Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS 5, 12–17. & (
- 2009) Excellent outcomes among HIV+ children on ART, but unacceptably high pre-ART mortality and losses to follow-up: a cohort study from Cambodia. BMC Pediatrics 9, 54. , , et al. (
- 2009) Intensified tuberculosis case finding among HIV-Infected persons from a voluntary counseling and testing center in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 50, 537–545. , , et al. (
- 2012) Diagnosing HIV infection in infants: are we there yet? Presented in Session 34 – CROI 2012 – Symposium: Recognizing risk in HIV-exposed and –infected infants and children. (
- 2012) Impact of HIV severity on cognitive and adaptive functioning during childhood and adolescence. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 31, 592–598. , , et al. (
- 2008) Effectiveness of antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected children in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet. Infectious Diseases 8, 477–489. , , , & (
- 2011) Risk factors for pre-treatment mortality among HIV-infected children in rural Zambia: a cohort study. PLoS One 6, e29294. , , et al. (
- 2008) Early antiretroviral therapy and mortality among HIV-infected infants. New England Journal of Medicine 359, 2233–2244. , , et al. (
- 2012) Survival benefit of early infant antiretroviral therapy is compromised when diagnosis is delayed. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 31, 729–731. , , et al. (
- WHO (2010) Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in infants and children: towards universal access. Recommendations for a universal approach. 2010 revision.
- WHO (2011) UNICEF, UNAIDS. Global HIV/AIDS response. Epidemic update and health sector progress towards universal access. Progress report Available at: http://www.afro.who.int/en/clusters-a-programmes/dpc/acquired-immune-deficiency-syndrome/features/3439-global-hivaids-response-progress-report-2011.html (Accessed 13 June 2013).
- 2006) Predictors of adherence to antiretroviral medications in children and adolescents with HIV infection. Pediatrics 118, e1745–e1757. , , et al. (