These authors contributed equally to this work.
Use of the Xpert® MTB/RIF assay for diagnosing pulmonary tuberculosis comorbidity and multidrug-resistant TB in obstetrics and gynaecology inpatient wards at the University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka, Zambia
Article first published online: 3 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Tropical Medicine and International Health published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 9, pages 1134–1140, September 2013
How to Cite
Bates, M., Ahmed, Y., Chilukutu, L., Tembo, J., Cheelo, B., Sinyangwe, S., Kapata, N., Maeurer, M., O'Grady, J., Mwaba, P. and Zumla, A. (2013), Use of the Xpert® MTB/RIF assay for diagnosing pulmonary tuberculosis comorbidity and multidrug-resistant TB in obstetrics and gynaecology inpatient wards at the University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka, Zambia. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1134–1140. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12145
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 3 JUL 2013
- European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP grants REMOX, PANACEA and TB-NEAT)
- UK Medical Research Council (MRC)
- UBS Optimus Foundation
- University College London Hospitals
- NIHR Biomedical Research Centre
- UCL Hospitals National Health Service (NHS) Foundation Trust
- 1999) A study of maternal mortality at the University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka, Zambia: the emergence of tuberculosis as a major non-obstetric cause of maternal death. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 3, 675–680. , , , , & (
- 2009) Prevalence of tuberculosis, HIV and respiratory symptoms in two Zambian communities: implications for tuberculosis control in the era of HIV. PLoS ONE 4, e5602. , , et al. (
- 2012) Evaluation of the burden of unsuspected pulmonary tuberculosis and co-morbidity with non-communicable diseases in sputum producing adult inpatients. PLoS ONE 7, e40774. , , et al. (
- 2013) Assessment of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay for diagnosis of tuberculosis with gastric lavage aspirates in children in sub-Saharan Africa: a prospective descriptive study. Lancet Infectious Diseases 13, 36–42. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(12)70245-1. Epub 2012 Nov 5. , , et al. (
- 2012) Childhood Tuberculosis in Household Contacts of Newly Diagnosed TB Patients. PLoS ONE 7, e40880. , , , , & (
- 2012) High tuberculosis exposure among neonates in a high tuberculosis and human immunodeficiency virus burden setting. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 16, 1040–1046. , , , & (
- 2009) Effect of human immunodeficiency virus treatment on maternal mortality at a tertiary center in South Africa: a 5-year audit. Obstetrics and Gynecology 114, 292–299. , & (
- 2012) Rapid and effective diagnosis of tuberculosis and rifampicin resistance with Xpert MTB/RIF assay: a meta-analysis. Journal of Infection 64, 580–588. , , et al. (
- 2008) Tuberculosis exposure in HIV-exposed infants in a high-prevalence setting. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 12, 225–227. , , , , & (
- 2011) Active tuberculosis case-finding among pregnant women presenting to antenatal clinics in Soweto, South Africa. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 57, e77–e84. , , et al. (
- 2011) Maternal tuberculosis: a risk factor for mother-to-child transmission of human immunodeficiency virus. Journal of Infectious Diseases 203, 358–363. , , et al. (
- 2009) High incidence of tuberculosis among HIV-infected infants: evidence from a South African population-based study highlights the need for improved tuberculosis control strategies. Clinical Infectious Diseases 48, 108–114. , , et al. (
- 2001) Maternal mortality associated with tuberculosis-HIV-1 co-infection in Durban, South Africa. AIDS 15, 1857–1863. , , & (
- 2013) Advances in tuberculosis diagnostics: the Xpert MTB/RIF assay and future prospects for a point-of-care test. The Lancet infectious diseases 13, 349–361. , , , et al. (
- 2010) Increased risk of low birthweight and small for gestational age infants among women with tuberculosis. BJOG 117, 585–590. & (
- 2013) Tuberculosis comorbidity with communicable and non-communicable diseases: integrating health services and control efforts. Lancet Infectious Diseases. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(13)70015-X. Epub 2013 Mar 22. , & et al. (
- 2012) Tuberculosis diagnostics and biomarkers: needs, challenges, recent advances, and opportunities. Journal of Infectious Diseases 205 (Suppl. 2), S147–S158. , , et al. (
- 2008) An autopsy study of maternal mortality in Mozambique: the contribution of infectious diseases. PLoS Med 5, e44. , , et al. (
- 2012) Evaluation of the Xpert MTB/RIF Assay at a Tertiary Care Referral Hospital in a Setting Where Tuberculosis and HIV Infection Are Highly Endemic. Clinical Infectious Diseases: an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America 55, 1171–1178. , , et al. (
- 2001) Severe, rapidly progressive human immunodeficiency virus type 1 disease in newborns with coinfections. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 20, 404–410. , , et al. (
- 2003) Tuberculosis and pregnancy. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 80, 247–253. (
- WHO (2011a). Global Tuberculosis Control: WHO Report 2011. World Health Organisation, Geneva.
- WHO (2011b) Global HIV/AIDS Response: Epidemic Update and Health Sector Progress Towards Universal Access: Progress Report 2011. WHO press, Geneva.
- WHO (2012) Global Tuberculosis Report 2012. World Health Organization, Geneva.