Socio-economic determinants of HIV testing and counselling: a comparative study in four African countries
Article first published online: 12 AUG 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 9, pages 1110–1118, September 2013
How to Cite
Obermeyer, C. M., Neuman, M., Hardon, A., Desclaux, A., Wanyenze, R., Ky-Zerbo, O., Cherutich, P. and Namakhoma, I. (2013), Socio-economic determinants of HIV testing and counselling: a comparative study in four African countries. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1110–1118. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12155
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 12 AUG 2013
- National Institutes of Health
- 2010) Rethinking HIV exceptionalism: the ethics of opt-out HIV testing in sub-Saharan Africa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 88, 703–708. Available: http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/88/9/09-073049.pdf. Accessed January 2013. (
- 2010) Integrating HIV screening into routine health care in resource-limited settings. Clinical Infectious Diseases 50, S77–S84. Available: http://sciencespeaks.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/integrating-hiv-screening-into-routine-health-care.pdf. Accessed January 2012. & (
- Burkina Faso CNLS/IST (2010) Rapport UNGASS 2010 du Burkina Faso: suivi de la declaration d'engagement sur le VIH/SIDA. Conseil National de Lutte Contre le Sida et les Infections Sexuellement Transmissibles (CNLS/IST), Burkina Faso. Available: http://data.unaids.org/pub/Report/2010/burkinafaso_2010_country_progress_report_fr.pdf. Accessed December 2011.
- CDC (2006) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention revised recommendations for HIV testing of adults, adolescents, and pregnant women in health-care settings. MMWR. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 55, 1–17. Available: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5514a1.htm. Accessed January 2012.
- Central Bureau of Statistics (Kenya), ORC Macro (2004) Kenya Demographic and Health Survey 2003. Central Bureau of Statistics [Kenya], Ministry of Health, and ORC Macro, Calverton, Maryland. Available: http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/FR151/FR151.pdf. Accessed January 2012.
- 2008) Income per natural: measuring development for people rather than places. Population and Development Review 34, 395–434. & (
- 2012) Patterns of uptake of HIV testing in sub-Saharan Africa in the pre-treatment era. Tropical Medicine & International Health 17, e26–e37. , , & (
- 2006) Unfinished business–expanding HIV testing in developing countries. New England Journal of Medicine 354, 440–442. Available: http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMp058327. Accessed January 2012. , & (
- 2001) Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data–or tears: an application to educational enrollments in states of India. Demography 38, 115–132. & (
- 2009) Increasing Uptake of HIV Testing and Counseling Among the Poorest in Sub-Saharan Countries Through Home-based service provision. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 51, 185–193. , & (
- 2012) Universal voluntary HIV testing in antenatal care settings: a review of the contribution of provider-initiated testing & counselling. Tropical Medicine & International Health 17, 59–70. , , et al. (
- 2006) Utilization of voluntary counseling and testing services in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. AIDS Care 18, 446–455. Available: http://www.aidsmark.org/vct_box/Research/VCT%20Research/VCT%20Acceptibility/utilizationofVCTinECapeSA.pdf. & (
- Institut National de la Statistique et de la Démographie (2003) Enquête démographique et de Santé du Burkina Faso 2003. Institut National de la Statistique et de la Démographie, Ministère de l’Économie et du Développement and ORC Macrom, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso and Calverton, Maryland, USA. Available: http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/FR154/FR154.pdf. Accessed January 2012.
- 2008) Education and vulnerability: the role of schools in protecting young women and girls from HIV in southern Africa. AIDS 22, S41–S56. , & (
- Kenya National AIDS Control Council (2010) UNGASS 2010 Country Report – Kenya. Office of the President, National AIDS Control Council, Kenya, Nairobi. Available: http://data.unaids.org/pub/Report/2010/kenya_2010_country_progress_report_en.pdf. Accessed December 2011.
- Malawi National AIDS Commission (2010) Malawi HIV and AIDS Monitoring and Evaluation Report, 2008-2009: UNGASS Country Progress Report, January 2008-December 2009. National AIDS Commission of Malawi, Malawi. Available: http://data.unaids.org/pub/Report/2010/malawi_2010_country_progress_report_en.pdf.
- 2007) Expanding access to voluntary HIV counselling and testing in sub-Saharan Africa: alternative approaches for improving uptake, 2001-2007. Tropical Medicine & International Health 12, 1315–1322. & (
- 2006) Delayed diagnosis of HIV: missed opportunities and triggers for testing in the Australian Capital Territory. Sexual Health 3, 291–295. , & (
- 2009) The costs and effectiveness of four HIV counseling and testing strategies in Uganda. AIDS 23, 395–401. Available: http://www.who.int/hiv/events/artprevention/menzies.pdf. Accessed January 2012. , , et al. (
- 2007) HIV infection does not disproportionately affect the poorer in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS 21, S17–S28. , , et al. (
- 2007) Acceptance of routine testing for HIV among adult patients at the medical emergency unit at a National Referral Hospital in Kampala, Uganda. AIDS and Behaviour 2007, 753–758. , , et al. (
- National Statistical Office Malawi, ORC Macro (2005) Malawi Demographic and Health Survey 2004. National Statistical Office, Malawi and ORC Macro, Calverton, Maryland. Available: http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/FR175/FR-175-MW04.pdf. Accessed January 2012.
- 2007) The uptake of testing and Counseling for HIV: a review of the social and behavioral evidence. American Journal of Public Health 97, 1762–1774. & (
- 2012) Associations between mode of HIV testing and consent, confidentiality, and referral: a comparative analysis in four African countries. PLoS Medicine 9, e1001329. , , et al. (
- MATCH Study Group (2013) HIV testing and care in Burkina Faso, Kenya, Malawi and Uganda: ethics on the ground. BMC International Health and Human Rights 13, 6. Available: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-698X/13/6 , , , , ;
- 2010) Understanding the correlations between wealth, poverty and human immunodeficiency virus infection in African countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 88, 519–526. (
- 2004) The DHS Wealth Index. DHS Comparative Reports No. 6. ORC Macro, Calverton, Maryland, USA. Available: http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/CR6/CR6.pdf. & (
- StataCorp (2009) Stata Statistical Software: Release SE 10.1. Stata Corporation, College Station, Texas.
- 2010) Correlates of HIV testing among women in Ghana: some evidence from the Demographic and Health Surveys. AIDS Care 22, 296–307. & (
- Uganda (2010) UNGASS Country Progress Report, Uganda: January 2008-December 2009. Uganda AID Commission, Government of Uganda, Uganda. Available: http://data.unaids.org/pub/Report/2010/uganda_2010_country_progress_report_en.pdf.
- Uganda Bureau of Statistics, Macro International Inc. (2007) Uganda Demographic and Health Survey 2006. Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) and Macro International Inc, Calverton, Maryland. Available: http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/FR194/FR194.pdf. Accessed January 2012.
- 2011) Who gets tested for HIV in a South African urban township? Implications for test and treat and gender-based prevention interventions. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 56, 151–165. , , , , & (
- WHO (2011) Global HIV/AIDS Response: Epidemic Update and Health Sector Progress Towards Universal Access. Progress Report 2011. World Health Organization, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, UNICEF, Geneva. Available: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241502986_eng.pdf. Accessed August 2012.
- WHO, UNAIDS (2007) Guidance on Provider-Initiated HIV Testing and Counselling in Health Facilities. World Health Organization, Geneva. Available: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2007/9789241595568_eng.pdf. Accessed December 2011.
- WHO, UNAIDS, UNICEF (2010) Towards Universal Access: Scaling up Priority HIV/AIDS Interventions in the Health Sector. Progress Report, 2010. World Health Organization, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, UNICEF, Geneva. Available: http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/2010progressreport/en/. Accessed December 2011.
- 2011) Performance of the modified Poisson regression approach for estimating relative risks from clustered prospective data. American Journal of Epidemiology 174, 984–992. , & (
- 2004) A modified poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data. American Journal of Epidemiology 159, 702–706. Available: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/159/7/702.abstract. Accessed January 2012. (