Progression of leprosy disability after discharge: is multidrug therapy enough?
Version of Record online: 12 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Tropical Medicine and International Health published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 9, pages 1145–1153, September 2013
How to Cite
Sales, A. M., Campos, D. P., Hacker, M. A., da Costa Nery, J. A., Düppre, N. C., Rangel, E., Sarno, E. N. and Penna, M. L. F. (2013), Progression of leprosy disability after discharge: is multidrug therapy enough?. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1145–1153. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12156
- Issue online: 12 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 12 AUG 2013
- 1971) Disability index for leprosy patients. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 44, 709–713. & (
- 2000a) The treatment of acute nerve function impairment in leprosy: results from a prospective cohort study in Bangladesh. Leprosy Review 71, 154–168. , , et al. (
- 2000b) Incidence rates of acute nerve function impairment in leprosy: a prospective cohort analysis after 24 months (The Bangladesh Acute Nerve Damage Study). Leprosy Review 71, 18–33. , , et al. (
- 2000c) A clinical prediction rule for nerve-function impairment in leprosy patients. Lancet 355, 1603–1606. , , et al. (
- 1994) Field evaluation of WHO-MDT of fixed duration at ALERT, Ethiopia: the AMFES project–I. MDT course completion, case-holding and another score for disability grading. Leprosy Review 65, 305–319. , , et al. (
- 2003) Answering the rehabilitation needs of leprosy-affected persons in integrated setting through primary health care services and community-based rehabilitation. Indian Journal of Leprosy 75, 127–142. (
- 2007) Estudo comparativo do índice de incapacidades em pacientes tratados com 24 e 12 doses de poliquimioterapia padrão–OMS, pacientes atendidos no plano piloto de Brasília–DF. Hansenologia Internationalis 32, 163–174. , , et al. (
- 2009) Fatores preditivos de incapacidades em pacientes com hanseníase. Revista de Saude Publica 43, 267–274. , & (
- ILEP. Guidelines for the introduction of new MDT regimens for the treatment of leprosy. Technical Bulletin. 1998;14:1–4.
- 1994). Pathology of leprosy. In: Leprosy, 2nd edn. (eds RC Hastings & DVA Opromolla). Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp. 193–224. (
- 2012) Risk of developing disability in pre and post-multidrug therapy treatment among multibacillary leprosy: Agra MB Cohort study. BMJ Open 2, e000361. , & (
- 1999) Factors associated with impairments in new leprosy patients: the AMFES cohort. Leprosy Review 70, 189–203. , , et al. (
- 2001) Dynamics of impairment during and after treatment: the AMFES cohort. Leprosy Review 72, 158–170. , , et al. (
- The influence of increased access to basic healthcare on the trends in Hansen's disease detection rate in Brazil from 1980 to 2006. Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical. 2008;41(supl.2):6–10. , , et al.
- 2009) Spatial distribution of leprosy in the Amazon region of Brazil. Emerging Infectious Diseases 15, 650–652. , & (
- 1995) Boerrigter G Are 18 doses of WHO/MDT sufficient for multibacillary leprosy; results of a trial in Malawi. International Journal of Leprosy and Other Mycobacterial Diseases 63, 1–7. (
- 1997) Progress of impairment scores following commencement of chemotherapy in multibacillary leprosy patients. International Journal of Leprosy and Other Mycobacterial Diseases 65, 328–336. , & (
- 2004) Incidence of acute nerve function impairment and reactions in leprosy: a prospective cohort analysis after 5 years of follow-up. International Journal of Epidemiology 33, 337–343. , , et al. (
- 1998) The occurrence of reactions and impairments in leprosy: experience in the leprosy control program of three provinces in northeastern Thailand, 1987–1995 [correction of 1978–1995]. I. Overview of the study. International Journal of Leprosy and Other Mycobacterial Diseases 66, 149–158. (
- 2008) Preventing nerve function impairment in leprosy: validation and updating of a prediction rule. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 2, e283. , , et al. (
- 2006) The continuing challenges of leprosy. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 19, 338–381. , , et al. (
- 1998) Incidence of disabilities among multi-bacillary cases after initiation of multidrug therapy and factors associated with the risk of developing disabilities. Indian Journal of Leprosy 70, 11S–21S. , , et al. (
- 1996) Disabilities in multibacillary leprosy patients: before, during and after multidrug therapy. Indian Journal of Leprosy 68, 127–141. , , et al. (
- 2009) Predicting neuropathy and reactions in leprosy at diagnosis and before incident events-results from the INFIR cohort study. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 3, e500. , , et al. (
- 1994) Nerve damage in leprosy: an epidemiological and clinical study of 396 patients in west Nepal–Part 1. Definitions, methods and frequencies. Leprosy Review 65, 204–221. & (
- 2005) The INFIR Cohort Study: investigating prediction, detection and pathogenesis of neuropathy and reactions in leprosy. Methods and baseline results of a cohort of multibacillary leprosy patients in north India. Leprosy Review 76, 14–34. , , et al. (
- 2012) Disability in people affected by leprosy: the role of impairment, activity, social participation, stigma and discrimination. Global Health Action 5, 18394. 10.3402/gha.v5i0.18394 , , et al. (
- WHO (1998). Expert Committee on Leprosy. Seventh Report. World Health Organization, Geneva. Technical Report Series 874.
- WHO (2010). Monitoring Grade-2 Disability Rate and Applicability of Chemoprophylaxis in Leprosy Control. World Health Organization, New Delhi, pp. 1–14.
- WHO (2011). Global Leprosy Situation, World Health Organization. World Health Organization, Geneva, pp. 389–400.