Monitoring child survival in ‘real time’ using routine health facility records: results from Malawi
Article first published online: 1 AUG 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 10, pages 1231–1239, October 2013
How to Cite
Amouzou, A., Kachaka, W., Banda, B., Chimzimu, M., Hill, K. and Bryce, J. (2013), Monitoring child survival in ‘real time’ using routine health facility records: results from Malawi. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1231–1239. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12167
- Issue published online: 9 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 1 AUG 2013
- Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
- 2005) Health information systems: the foundation of public health. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 83, 578–583. & (
- 2012) Improving quality and use of data through data-use workshops: Zanzibar, United Republic of Tanzania. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 90, 379–384. , & (
- Commission on Information and Accountability for Women's and Children's Health (2011). Keeping Promises, Measuring Results. WHO, Geneva.
- Demographic and Health Surveys (2012). http://www.measuredhs.com. (accessed 15 August 2012)
- 2006) Improving imperfect data from health management information systems in Africa using space-time geostatistics. PLoS Medicine 3, e271. , , et al. (
- 2007a) A local space-time kriging approach applied to a national outpatient malaria dataset. Computers & Geosciences 33, 1337–1350. , , , , & (
- 2007b) Information for decision making from imperfect national data: tracking major changes in health care use in Kenya using geostatistics. BMC Medicine 5, 37. , , et al. (
- 2008) Developing geostatistical space-time models to predict outpatient treatment burdens from incomplete national data. Geographical Analysis 40, 167–188. , , et al. (
- 2003) Implementing a new health management information system in Uganda. Health Policy and Planning 18, 214–224. , & (
- 1999). Sampling: Design and Analysis. Brooks/Cole Publishing Company, Pacific Grove, CA. (
- Civil registration systems and vital statistics: successes and missed opportunities. Lancet 370, 1653–1663. , , et al.
- Malawi National Statistical Office (NSO) (2008). Population and Housing Census 2008. Main census report. Zomba, Malawi. 1.
- 2011) Enhancing the routine health information system in rural southern Tanzania: successes, challenges and lessons learned. Tropical Medicine and International Health 16, 721–730. , , et al. (
- Millennium Development Goals Indicators (2012). http://mdgs.un.org/unsd/mdg/Host.aspx?Content=Indicators/OfficialList.htm. (accessed 15 August 2012).
- Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys (2012). http://www.childinfor.org. (accessed 15 August 2012).
- 2007) Estimating population cause-specific mortality fractions from in-hospital mortality: validation of a new method. PLoS Medicine 4, e326. , , , & (
- 2006) HMIS and decision-making in Zambia: re-thinking information solutions for district health management in decentralized health systems. Health Policy and Planning 21, 40–52. (
- National Statistical Office (NSO) and ICF Macro (2011). Malawi Demographic and Health Survey 2010. National Statistical Office (NSO) and ICF Macro, Zomba, Malawi, and Calverton, MD.
- 2010) Bridging the gaps in the Health Management Information System in the context of a changing health sector. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 10, 36. (
- 2010) First experiences in the implementation of biometric technology to link data from Health and Demographic Surveillance Systems with health facility data. Global Health Action 3, Art. No.: 2120. DOI: 10.3402/gha.v3i0.2120. , , et al. (
- 2007) A scandal of invisibility: making everyone count by counting everyone. Lancet 370, 1569–1577. , , et al. (
- STATcompiler (2012). http://www.statcompiler.com/. (accessed 26 August 2012)