Getting antimalarials on target: impact of national roll-out of malaria rapid diagnostic tests on health facility treatment in three regions of Tanzania
Article first published online: 13 AUG 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 10, pages 1269–1282, October 2013
How to Cite
Bruxvoort, K., Kalolella, A., Nchimbi, H., Festo, C., Taylor, M., Thomson, R., Cairns, M., Thwing, J., Kleinschmidt, I., Goodman, C. and Kachur, S. P. (2013), Getting antimalarials on target: impact of national roll-out of malaria rapid diagnostic tests on health facility treatment in three regions of Tanzania. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1269–1282. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12168
- Issue published online: 9 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 13 AUG 2013
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- 2012) Early experiences on the feasibility, acceptability, and use of malaria rapid diagnostic tests at peripheral health centres in Uganda-insights into some barriers and facilitators. Implementation Science 7, 5. , , et al. (
- 2012) Acceptability of rapid diagnostic test-based management of Malaria among caregivers of under-five children in rural Ghana. PLoS ONE 7, e45556. , , et al. (
- 2010) SMS for Life: a pilot project to improve anti-malarial drug supply management in rural Tanzania using standard technology. Malaria Journal 9, 298. , , , & (
- 2011) Malaria diagnostic testing and treatment practices in three different Plasmodium falciparum transmission settings in Tanzania: before and after a government policy change. Malaria Journal 10, 76. , , , , & (
- 2009) Rapid malaria diagnostic tests vs. clinical management of malaria in rural Burkina Faso: safety and effect on clinical decisions. A randomized trial. Tropical Medicine & International Health 14, 491–498. , , et al. (
- 2008a) Guidelines and mindlines: why do clinical staff over-diagnose malaria in Tanzania? A qualitative study. Malaria Journal 7, 53. , , , , & (
- 2008b) The importance of context in malaria diagnosis and treatment decisions - a quantitative analysis of observed clinical encounters in Tanzania. Tropical Medicine & International Health 13, 1131–1142. , , , , & (
- 2010) How can malaria rapid diagnostic tests achieve their potential? A qualitative study of a trial at health facilities in Ghana. Malaria Journal 9, 95. , & (
- 2009) Time to move from presumptive malaria treatment to laboratory-confirmed diagnosis and treatment in African children with fever. PLoS Medicine 6, e252. , , , , & (
- 2010) Reduction in the proportion of fevers associated with Plasmodium falciparum parasitaemia in Africa: a systematic review. Malaria Journal 9, 240. , & (
- 2011) Reduction of anti-malarial consumption after rapid diagnostic tests implementation in Dar es Salaam: a before-after and cluster randomized controlled study. Malaria Journal 10, 107. , , , , & (
- 2009) Out with the old, in with the new: the utility of rapid diagnostic tests for malaria diagnosis in Africa. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 103, 333–337. & (
- 2009) Abandoning presumptive antimalarial treatment for febrile children aged less than five years–a case of running before we can walk? PLoS Medicine 6, e1000015. , , & (
- 2012) Exploring health providers' and community perceptions and experiences with malaria tests in South-East Nigeria: a critical step towards appropriate treatment. Malaria Journal 11, 368. , , et al. (
- 2007) Improved diagnostic testing and malaria treatment practices in Zambia. The Journal of the American Medical Association 297, 2227–2231. , , et al. (
- 2011) Comparison of oral amoxicillin with placebo for the treatment of world health organization-defined nonsevere pneumonia in children aged 2–59 months: a multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial in pakistan. Clinical Infectious Diseases 52, 293–300. , , et al. (
- 2011) Low quality of routine microscopy for malaria at different levels of the health system in Dar es Salaam. Malaria Journal 10, 332. , , , & (
- 2010) Use of RDTs to improve malaria diagnosis and fever case management at primary health care facilities in Uganda. Malaria Journal 9, 200. , , , , & (
- 2012) Overdiagnosis and mistreatment of malaria among febrile patients at primary healthcare level in Afghanistan: observational study. British Medical Journal 345, e4389. , , et al. (
- 2012) Increased use of malaria rapid diagnostic tests improves targeting of anti-malarial treatment in rural Tanzania: implications for nationwide rollout of malaria rapid diagnostic tests. Malaria Journal 11, 221. , , et al. (
- 2008) Challenges in routine implementation and quality control of rapid diagnostic tests for malaria–Rufiji District, Tanzania. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 79, 385–390. , , , & (
- 2012) Randomized, Controlled Trial of Treatment of Febrile Children with a Negative Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Test with Artemether-Lumefantrine vs. No Antimalarial in Bagamoyo District, Tanzania in Abstract Book of 61st Meeting of the American Society for Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. Atlanta, USA. , , et al. (
- 2009) Influence of rapid malaria diagnostic tests on treatment and health outcome in fever patients, Zanzibar: a crossover validation study. PLoS Medicine 6, e1000070. , , et al. (
- 2011) Treatment guided by rapid diagnostic tests for malaria in Tanzanian children: safety and alternative bacterial diagnoses. Malaria Journal 10, 290. , , et al. (
- 2008) Update on rapid diagnostic testing for malaria. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 21, 97–110. , , & (
- National Bureau of Statistics (Tanzania) (2006) Population Projections for 2012, in 2002 Population and Housing Census Analytical Report. NBS, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- National Bureau of Statistics (Tanzania) and ICF Macro (2011) Tanzania Demographic and Health Survey 2010. NBS and ICF Macro, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- 2006) Fever treatment and household wealth: the challenge posed for rolling out combination therapy for malaria. Tropical Medicine & International Health 11, 299–313. , , et al. (
- 2011) Malaria case-management following change of policy to universal parasitological diagnosis and targeted artemisinin-based combination therapy in Kenya. PLoS ONE 6, e24781. , , et al. (
- 2004) Overdiagnosis of malaria in patients with severe febrile illness in Tanzania: a prospective study. British Medical Journal 329, 1212. , , et al. (
- 2007) Rapid diagnostic tests compared with malaria microscopy for guiding outpatient treatment of febrile illness in Tanzania: randomised trial. British Medical Journal 334, 403. , , et al. (
- 2009) Effect of malaria rapid diagnostic tests on the management of uncomplicated malaria with artemether-lumefantrine in Kenya: a cluster randomized trial. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 80, 919–926. , , et al. (
- Tanzania Commission for AIDS (TACAIDS), Zanzibar AIDS Commission (ZAC), National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), Office of the Chief Government Statistician (OGS), Macro International Inc. (2012) Tanzania HIV/AIDS and Malaria Indicator Survey 2011-12. TACAIDS, ZAC, NBS, OGS, and Macro International Inc., Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- 2011) Major reduction in anti-malarial drug consumption in Senegal after nation-wide introduction of malaria rapid diagnostic tests. PLoS ONE 6, e18419. , , et al. (
- United Republic of Tanzania Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (2006) National Guidelines for Diagnosis and Treatment of Malaria, in Malaria control series 11. National Malaria Control Program, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- United Republic of Tanzania Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (2011) National Guidelines for Diagnosis and Treatment of Malaria, in Malaria control series 25. National Malaria Control Program, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- 2008) Why don't health workers prescribe ACT? A qualitative study of factors affecting the prescription of artemether-lumefantrine. Malaria Journal 7, 29. , , & (
- 2008) Deployment of ACT antimalarials for treatment of malaria: challenges and opportunities. Malaria Journal 7(Suppl. 1), S7. , , , & (
- 2008) Dispensary level pilot implementation of rapid diagnostic tests: an evaluation of RDT acceptance and usage by providers and patients–Tanzania, 2005. Malaria Journal 7, 239. , , et al. (
- World Health Organization (2010) Guidelines for the Treatment of Malaria, in 2nd Edition. Geneva, Switzerland.
- World Health Organization (2012) World Malaria Report.
- 2012) Reductions in artemisinin-based combination therapy consumption after the nationwide scale up of routine malaria rapid diagnostic testing in Zambia. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 87, 437–446. , , et al. (