Antenatal and delivery services in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo: care-seeking and experiences reported by women in a household-based survey
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 10, pages 1211–1221, October 2013
How to Cite
Feinstein, L., Dimomfu, B. L., Mupenda, B., Duvall, S., Chalachala, J. L., Edmonds, A. and Behets, F. (2013), Antenatal and delivery services in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo: care-seeking and experiences reported by women in a household-based survey. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1211–1221. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12171
- Issue published online: 9 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2013
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
- 2012) The influence of individual and contextual socioeconomic status on obstetric care utilization in the Democratic Republic of Congo: a population-based study. International Journal of Preventive Medicine 3, 278–285. , & (
- 2010) Couples' voluntary counselling and testing and nevirapine use in antenatal clinics in two African capitals: a prospective cohort study. Journal of the International AIDS Society 13, 10. , , et al. (
- 2012) Using community-based research to shape the design and delivery of maternal health services in Northern Nigeria. Reprod Health Matters 20, 104–112. , , et al. (
- 2009) Still too far to walk: literature review of the determinants of delivery service use. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 9, 34. & (
- 2008) The association between school attendance, HIV infection and sexual behaviour among young people in rural South Africa. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 62, 113–119. , , et al. (
- 2010) Maternal mortality for 181 countries, 1980–2008: a systematic analysis of progress towards Millennium Development Goal 5. Lancet 375, 1609–1623. , , et al. (
- 2003) Weighting methods. Journal of Official Statistics, 19, 81–97. & (
- 1999) Sampling, Design and Analysis. Duxbury Press, Pacific Grove. (
- Ministère du Plan and Macro International. Enquête Démographique et de Santé, République Démocratique du Congo 2007. Calverton, MD; 2008.
- 2009) The use of antenatal and postnatal care: perspectives and experiences of women and health care providers in rural southern Tanzania. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 9, 10. , , et al. (
- 2011) Socio-demographic factors associated with loss to follow-up of HIV-infected women attending a private sector PMTCT program in Maharashtra India. AIDS Care 23, 593–600. , , , & (
- 2008) Keep them in school: the importance of education as a protective factor against HIV infection among young South African women. International Journal of Epidemiology 37, 1266–1273. , , , & (
- 2012) Utilization of maternal health care services among married adolescent women: insights from the Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey, 2008. Womens Health Issues 22, e407–e414. , & (
- 1981) The analysis of categorical data from complex surveys: Chi-Squared tests for goodness of fit and independence in two-way tables. Journals of the American Statistical Association 76, 221–230. & (
- 1984) On Chi-Squared tests for multiway contingency tables with cell properties estimated from survey data. The Annals of Statistics 12, 46–60. & (
- 1987) On simple adjustments to Chi-Square tests with survey data. The Annals of Statistics 15, 385–397. & (
- 2008) The feasibility of preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV using peer counselors in Zimbabwe. AIDS Research and Therapy 5, 17. , , et al. (
- 2013) Why do women prefer home births in Ethiopia? BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 13, 5. , , , & (
- 2012a) Determinants of maternity care services utilization among married adolescents in rural India. PLoS ONE 7, e31666. , , & (
- 2012b) Assessing the utilization of maternal and child health care among married adolescent women: evidence from India. Journal of Biosocial Science 44, 1–26. , & (
- 2010) Factors associated with underutilization of antenatal care services in Indonesia: results of Indonesia Demographic and Health Survey 2002/2003 and 2007. BMC Public Health 10, 485. , & (
- 2013) An analysis of risk factors for human immunodeficiency virus infection among Chinese blood donors. Transfusion. Epub ahead of print. , , et al. (
- 2013) Toward an understanding of disengagement from HIV treatment and care in sub-saharan Africa: a qualitative study. PLoS Medicine 10, e1001369. , , et al. (
- 2012) Missed opportunities: poor linkage into ongoing care for HIV-positive pregnant women in Mwanza, Tanzania. PLoS ONE 7, e40091. , , , & (
- WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, The World Bank. Trends in Maternal Mortality: 1990 to 2010. Geneva; 2012.
- World Health Organization. Standards for Maternal and Neonatal Care. Geneva; 2007.
- World Health Organization. WHO Recommended Interventions for Improving Maternal and Newborn Health: Integrated Management of Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2nd ed., World Health Organization, Geneva; 2009.
- World Health Organization and UNICEF. Countdown to 2015: Maternal, Neborn and Child Survival: Building a Future for Women and Children: The 2012 Report. Geneva; 2012.