Newborn care behaviours and neonatal survival: evidence from sub-Saharan Africa
Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 11, pages 1294–1316, November 2013
How to Cite
Penfold, S., Willey, B. A. and Schellenberg, J. (2013), Newborn care behaviours and neonatal survival: evidence from sub-Saharan Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1294–1316. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12193
- Issue online: 22 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 24 SEP 2013
- 2007) Low body mass index, anaemia and poor perinatal outcome in a rural hospital in eastern Sudan. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 54, 202–204. , , , , & (
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2012) American Academy of Pediatrics Neonatal Resuscitation Program [Online]. Available at: http://www2.aap.org/nrp/ (accessed 17 October 2012).
- 2005) Neonatal and infant mortality in the ten years (1993 to 2003) of the Gadchiroli field trial: effect of home-based neonatal care. Journal of Perinatology 25(Suppl. 1), S92–S107. , , , & (
- 2008a) Impact of an integrated nutrition and health programme on neonatal mortality in rural northern India. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 86, 796–804, A. , , et al. (
- 2008b) Effect of community-based newborn-care intervention package implemented through two service-delivery strategies in Sylhet district, Bangladesh: a cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet 371, 1936–1944. , , et al. (
- 2012) Effect of implementation of Integrated Management of Neonatal and Childhood Illness (IMNCI) programme on neonatal and infant mortality: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ 344, e1634. , , , , & (
- 2008) Community-based newborn care: are we there yet? Lancet 372, 1124–1126. & (
- 2008) Implementing community-based perinatal care: results from a pilot study in rural Pakistan. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86, 452–459. , , , , & (
- 2011) Improvement of perinatal and newborn care in rural Pakistan through community-based strategies: a cluster-randomised effectiveness trial. Lancet 377, 403–412. , , et al. (
- 2005) Monitoring low birth weight: an evaluation of international estimates and an updated estimation procedure. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 83, 178–185. & (
- 2012) National, regional, and worldwide estimates of preterm birth rates in the year 2010 with time trends since 1990 for selected countries: a systematic analysis and implications. Lancet, 379, 2162–2172. , , et al. (
- 2005) Neonatal hypothermia in Uganda: prevalence and risk factors. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 51, 212–215. , & (
- 2010) Newborn care training of midwives and neonatal and perinatal mortality rates in a developing country. Pediatrics 126, e1064–e1071. , , , et al. (
- Cochrane Effective Practice and Organisation of Care Group (2013) Suggested Risk of Bias Criteria for EPOC Reviews. Available at: http://epoc.cochrane.org/sites/epoc.cochrane.org/files/uploads/14 Suggested risk of bias criteria for EPOC reviews 2013 08 12.pdf (accessed 09 September 2013).
- 2000) Randomized, controlled trials, observational studies, and the hierarchy of research designs. New England Journal of Medicine 342, 1887–1892. , & (
- 2011) Kangaroo mother care to reduce morbidity and mortality in low birthweight infants. Cochrane Database Systematic Review, 3, CD002771. , & (
- 2010) Evaluation of a cluster-randomized controlled trial of a package of community-based maternal and newborn interventions in Mirzapur, Bangladesh. PLoS ONE, 5, e9696. , , et al. (
- 2006) Delayed breastfeeding initiation increases risk of neonatal mortality. Pediatrics 117, e380–e386. , , , , & (
- 2007) Effect of early infant feeding practices on infection-specific neonatal mortality: an investigation of the causal links with observational data from rural Ghana. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 86, 1126–1131. , , , & (
- 2008) Impact of early infant feeding practices on mortality in low birth weight infants from rural Ghana. Journal of Perinatology 28, 438–444. , , & (
- 2011) Effect of training traditional birth attendants on neonatal mortality (Lufwanyama Neonatal Survival Project): randomised controlled study. BMJ 342, d346. , , et al. (
- 2012) Training Zambian traditional birth attendants to reduce neonatal mortality in the Lufwanyama Neonatal Survival Project (LUNESP). International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 118, 77–82. , , , , & (
- Centers for Disease, C. & Prevention (2006) Risk factors for neonatal tetanus–Busoga region, Uganda 2002–2003. MMWR. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 55 (Suppl. 1), 25–30. , , & ,
- 2008) Epidemiology and causes of preterm birth. Lancet 371, 75–84. , , & (
- 2010) Global report on preterm birth and stillbirth (2 of 7): discovery science. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 10(Suppl. 1), S2. , & (
- 2008) GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ, 336, 924–926. , , et al. (
- 2007) Achieving child survival goals: potential contribution of community health workers. Lancet 369, 2121–2131. , , et al. (
- 2006) Neonatal mortality in the developing world. Demographic Research 14, 429–452. & (
- 2013) Mortality risk in preterm and small-for-gestational-age infants in low-income and middle-income countries: a pooled country analysis. Lancet 382, 417–425. , , et al. (
- 2013) Effect of the Newhints home-visits intervention on neonatal mortality rate and care practices in Ghana: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Lancet 381, 2184–2192. , , et al. (
- 1987) Determinants of low birth weight: methodological assessment and meta-analysis. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 65, 663–737. (
- 2008) Effect of community-based behaviour change management on neonatal mortality in Shivgarh, Uttar Pradesh, India: a cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet 372, 1151–1162. , , et al. (
- 2009) Neonatal hypothermia in low resource settings: a review. Journal of Perinatology 29, 401–412. , , & (
- 2006) Opportunities for Africa's newborns: Practical data, policy and programmatic support for newborn care in Africa. Cape Town. & (
- 2005) 4 million neonatal deaths: When? Where? Why? Lancet 365, 891–900. , & (
- 2009) Two million intrapartum-related stillbirths and neonatal deaths: where, why, and what can be done? International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, 107 (Suppl. 1), S5–S18, S19. , , et al. (
- 2010) Global report on preterm birth and stillbirth (1 of 7): definitions, description of the burden and opportunities to improve data. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 10(Suppl. 1), S1. , , , & (
- 2013) Effect of women's groups and volunteer peer counselling on rates of mortality, morbidity, and health behaviours in mothers and children in rural Malawi (MaiMwana): a factorial, cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet 381, 1721–1735. , , et al. (
- 2012) Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality: an updated systematic analysis for 2010 with time trends since 2000. Lancet, 379, 2151–2161. , , et al. (
- 2012) Neonatal mortality risk associated with preterm birth in East Africa, adjusted by weight for gestational age: individual participant level meta-analysis. PLoS Med 9, e1001292. , , et al. (
- 2011) Reduced perinatal mortality following enhanced training of birth attendants in the Democratic Republic of Congo: a time-dependent effect. BMC Medicine 9, 93. , , et al. (
- 2006) Health worker motivation in Africa: the role of non-financial incentives and human resource management tools. Human Resources for Health 4, 24. & (
- 2005) Evaluation of the effectiveness of a clean delivery kit intervention in preventing cord infection and puerperal sepsis among neonates and their mothers in rural Mwanza Region, Tanzania. Tanzania Health Research Bulletin 7, 185–188. , , , & (
- 2008) Breast-feeding patterns, time to initiation, and mortality risk among newborns in southern Nepal. Journal of Nutrition 138, 599–603. , , et al. (
- 2010) Earlier versus later continuous Kangaroo Mother Care (KMC) for stable low-birth-weight infants: a randomized controlled trial. Acta Paediatrica 99, 827–835. , , , , & (
- 2006) Neonatal septicemia in high risk babies in South-Eastern Nigeria. Journal of Perinatal Medicine 34, 166–172. , , & (
- PMNCH (2011) A Global Review of the Key Interventions Related to Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH). PMNCH, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2010) Neonatal, postneonatal, childhood, and under-5 mortality for 187 countries 1970-2010: a systematic analysis of progress towards Millennium Development Goal 4. Lancet 375, 1988–2008. , , et al. (
- 2008) Maternal and birth attendant hand washing and neonatal mortality in southern Nepal. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 162, 603–608. , , et al. (
- Save the Children (2013) Surviving the First Day. State of the World's Mothers 2013. Save the Children, London.
- 2010) Critical evaluation of the Newcastle-Ottawa scale for the assessment of the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses. European Journal of Epidemiology 25, 603–605. (
- 2009) Burden of neonatal infections in developing countries: a review of evidence from community-based studies. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 28, S3–S9. & (
- The Cochrane Collaboration (2011) Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions [Online]. Available at: www.cochrane-handbook.org (accessed 31 May 2013).
- The Lancet (2005) Neonatal Survival [Online]. The Lancet. Available at: http://www.thelancet.com/series/neonatal-survival (accessed 17 October 2012).
- The World Bank (2013) Country and Lending Groups [Online]. Available at: http://data.worldbank.org/about/country-classifications/country-and-lending-groups (accessed 09 August 2013).
- 2012) Innate Immune Deficiency of Extremely Premature Neonates Can Be Reversed by Interferon-gamma. PLoS ONE, 7, e32863. , , et al. (
- UNICEF (2012) Level and Trends in Child Mortality Report 2012. UNICEF, New York.
- UNICEF & WHO (2004) Low Birthweight. Country, Regional and Global Estimates. UNICEF & WHO, New York.
- 2011) The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for Assessing the Quality of Nonrandomised Studies in Meta-Analyses [Online]. Available at: http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.asp (accessed 17 December 2012). , , et al. (
- WHO (1994) Essential Newborn Care. Report of a Technical Working Group. WHO, Trieste.
- WHO (2003) Kangaroo Mother Care: A Practical Guide. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO (2009) WHO Recommended Interventions for Improving Maternal and Newborn Health. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- WHO (2010) Essential Newborn Care Course [Online]. Available at: http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/newborncare_course/en/ (accessed 17 October 2012).
- WHO & UNICEF (2009) Home visits for the newborn child: a strategy to improve survival. WHO & UNICEF, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2007) Use of a clean delivery kit and factors associated with cord infection and puerperal sepsis in Mwanza, Tanzania. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, 52, 37–43. , , , , & (
- 2005) Kangaroo mother care: a randomized controlled trial on effectiveness of early kangaroo mother care for the low birthweight infants in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, 51, 93–97. & (