The magnitude of diabetes and its association with obesity in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya: results from a cross-sectional survey
Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 12, pages 1520–1530, December 2013
How to Cite
Oti, S. O., van de Vijver, S. J. M., Agyemang, C. and Kyobutungi, C. (2013), The magnitude of diabetes and its association with obesity in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya: results from a cross-sectional survey. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1520–1530. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12200
- Issue online: 18 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2013
- Wellcome Trust UK
- Academic Medical Center Foundation
- Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development
- 2008) Prevalence and time trends in obesity among adult West African populations: a meta-analysis. Obesity Reviews 9, 297–311. , , , , & (
- 2005) Prevalence of cardiovascular diseases and associated risk factors in a rural black population of South Africa. European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation 12, 347–354. (
- 2002) Diabetes in Ghana: a community based prevalence study in Greater Accra. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 56, 197–205. , & (
- 2000) Rural and urban differences in diabetes prevalence in Tanzania: the role of obesity, physical inactivity and urban living. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 94, 637–644. (
- 2013) A population-based survey of prevalence of diabetes and correlates in an urban slum community in Nairobi, Kenya. BMC Public Health 13, 371. , , et al. (
- 2007) Diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in rural and urban populations in Futa Jallon (Guinea): prevalence and associated risk factors. Diabetes & Metabolism 33, 114–120. (
- 2005) Antiretroviral therapy and the prevalence and incidence of diabetes mellitus in the multicenter AIDS cohort study. Archives of internal medicine 165, 1179–1184. , , et al. (
- 2009) Prevalence of glucose intolerance and associated risk factors in rural and urban populations of different ethnic groups in Kenya. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 84, 303–310. (
- 2009) Tuberculosis and diabetes mellitus: convergence of two epidemics. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 9, 737–746. & (
- 2011) Monitoring of health and demographic outcomes in poor urban settlements: evidence from the Nairobi Urban Health and Demographic Surveillance System. Journal of Urban Health, 88(Suppl. 2), S200–S218. , , et al. (
- 2001) Prevalence of diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance in factory workers from Transkei, South Africa. South African Medical Journal 91, 157–160. (
- 2013) Association of all-cause mortality with overweight and obesity using standard body mass index categories: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Journal of the American Medical Association 309, 71–82. , , & (
- 2011) Diabetes in Sub Saharan Africa 1999-2011: epidemiology and public health implications. a systematic review. BMC Public Health 11, 564. , , & (
- 1993) The prevalence and identification of risk factors for NIDDM in urban Africans in Cape Town, South Africa. Diabetes Care 16, 601–607. , , , & (
- 2010) Distribution of hyperglycaemia and related cardiovascular disease risk factors in low-income countries: a cross-sectional population-based survey in rural Uganda. International Journal of Epidemiology 40, 160–171. (
- 2010) Diabetes in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet 375, 2254–2266. (
- Ministry of Health Cameroon Burden of Diabetes Project (Cambod) Baseline Survey Report. (2004) Ministry of Health, Cameroon.
- 2008) Diabetes and other disorders of glycemia in a rural South African community: prevalence and associated risk factors. Diabetes Care 31, 1783–1788. (
- 2012) Prevalence of hypertension and diabetes among Ethiopian adults. Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome 6, 36–41. , , , , & (
- 2003) Type 2 diabetes in adult Nigerians: a study of its prevalence and risk factors in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 62, 177–185. (
- 2010) A prevalence of cardiometabolic risk factors among a rural Yoruba south-western Nigerian population: a population-based survey. Cardiovascular Journal of Africa 21, 26–31. (
- 2012) HIV and noncommunicable diseases: a case for health system building. Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS 8, 65–69. (
- 2008) Accuracy of body mass index in diagnosing obesity in the adult general population. International Journal of Obesity 32, 959–966. , , et al. (
- 2006) A pilot study on body image, attractiveness and body size in Gambians living in an urban community. Eating and Weight Disorders: EWD 11, 100–109. , , & (
- 2012) Steroid-induced diabetes: is it just unmasking of type 2 diabetes? ISRN Endocrinology 2012, 910905. , , & (
- 2002) Physical activity and its relationship with obesity, hypertension and diabetes in urban and rural Cameroon. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders 26, 1009–1016. (
- 2001) Diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease: an update. Hypertension 37, 1053–1059. , & (
- 2012) Prediabetes: a high-risk state for diabetes development. Lancet 379, 2279–2290. , , , & (
- 2010) Type 2 diabetes mellitus and obesity in sub-Saharan Africa. Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews 26, 433–445. , & (
- UK Prospective Diabetes Study Group (1998) Tight blood pressure control and risk of macrovascular and microvascular complications in type 2 diabetes: UKPDS 38. British Medical Journal 312, 703–713.
- 2013) Prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension among slum dwellers in Nairobi, Kenya. Journal of Hypertension 31, 1018–1024. , , , & (
- 2005) Preventive Cardiology: A Practical Approach. McGraw Hill, Chicago. , & (
- World Health Organization (2003) Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases: Report of a Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation. In. Geneva, WHO/FAO.
- World Health Organization (2010) Global Recommendations on Physical Activity for Health. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2011) Global Status Report on Non-Communicable Diseases 2010. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization/International Diabetes Federation (2006) Definition and Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus and Intermediate Hyperglycemia: Report of a WHO/IDF Consultation. WHO, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2013a) STEPwise approach to chronic disease risk factor surveillance (STEPS). http://www.who.int/chp/steps/riskfactor/en/index.html (accessed on 13 June 2013).
- World Health Organization (2013b) STEPS country reports. http://www.who.int/chp/steps/reports/en/ (accessed on 13 June 2013).
- 2009) Overweight and obesity in urban Africa: a problem of the rich or the poor? BMC Public Health 9, 465. , & (