Prevalence and risk factors of syphilis infection among female sex workers in Shenzhen, China: an observational study (2009–2012)
Article first published online: 7 OCT 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 12, pages 1531–1538, December 2013
How to Cite
Cai, R., Tan, J. G., Chen, L., Richardus, J. H. and de Vlas, S. J. (2013), Prevalence and risk factors of syphilis infection among female sex workers in Shenzhen, China: an observational study (2009–2012). Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1531–1538. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12204
- Issue published online: 18 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 7 OCT 2013
- 2007) Syphilis in China: results of a national surveillance programme. Lancet 369, 132–138. , , et al. (
- 2008) Estimation of the number of commercial sex workers and drug users in Shenzhen by multiplier method. Chinese Journal of AIDS & STD 14, 31–32. , , et al. (
- 2012) Prevalence of syphilis infection in different tiers of female sex workers in China: implications for surveillance and interventions. BMC Infectious Diseases 12, 84. , , et al. (
- 2011). Guidelines for Implementation of National HIV Sentinel Surveillance Program. China Center for Disease Control and Prevention. China CDC, Beijing. (
- China CDC. (2011). National HIV HIV sentinel surveillance guidelines. China Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China.
- China State Council AIDS Working Committee Office. (2007) Monitoring and Evaluation Framework for China's HIV/AIDS Prevention, Treatment and Care Program. People's health publishing house, Beijing.
- 2011) Introduction of rapid tests for large-scale syphilis screening among female, male, and transgender sex workers in Mumbai, India. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 38, 499–502. , , , & (
- 2012) Could implementation of Australia's national gay men's syphilis action plan have an indirect effect on the HIV epidemic? Sex Health 9, 144–151. , & (
- 2008) Behavioral studies of female sex workers in China: a literature review and recommendation for future research. AIDS and Behavior 12, 623–636. & (
- 2009) Burden of syphilis infections in Shenzhen, China: a preliminary estimation. International Journal of STD and AIDS 20, 115–118. , , et al. (
- 2011) Commercial sex venues, syphilis and methamphetamine use among female sex workers. AIDS Care 23, 26–36. , , et al. (
- 2010) A multilevel analysis of gatekeeper characteristics and consistent condom use among establishment-based female sex workers in Guangxi, China. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 37, 700–705. , , , & (
- 2012a) Systematic differences in risk behaviors and syphilis prevalence across types of female sex workers: a preliminary study in Liuzhou, China. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 39, 195–200. , , , & (
- 2012b) Difference in risk behaviors and STD prevalence between street-based and establishment-based FSWs in Guangdong Province, China. AIDS and Behavior 16, 943–951. , , et al. (
- 2011) Syphilis and methamphetamine use among female sex workers in Shandong Province, China. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 38, 57–62. , , et al. (
- 2012) Consistently low prevalence of syphilis among female sex workers in Jinan, China: findings from two consecutive respondent driven sampling surveys. PLoS ONE 7, e34085. , , et al. (
- 2006) China's syphilis epidemic: a systematic review of seroprevalence studies. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 33, 726–736. , , , & (
- 2009) Prevalence of HIV infection and predictors for syphilis infection among female sex workers in southern China. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 40, 263–272. , , et al. (
- Ministry of Health. (2012) China Health Statistics. Public Health Services 3, 48.
- 2007) Female sex workers in China: vectors of disease? Sexually Transmitted Diseases 34, 695–703. , & (
- 2011) Review of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections among female sex workers in China. AIDS Care 23(Suppl. 1), 5–25. , , & (
- 2006) Syphilis among female sex workers in southwestern China: potential for HIV transmission. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 33, 719–723. , , et al. (
- Shenzhen CCDC. (2011) Report on syphilis epidemic and its prevention and control Shenzhen Center for Chronic Disease Control and Prevention.
- Shenzhen CCDC. (2012) Strategies for STDs control and prevention. http://www.szccc.org/HTML/SectionOffice/c8cb8fb8-85b0-4df7-8f9b-702bda11e8c1.aspx. Accessed 07 Dec, 2012.
- Shenzhen Statistics. (2012)Statistical Yearbook. Vol 49. Bureau of Statistics, Shenzhen, China.
- 2011) China's syphilis epidemic: epidemiology, proximate determinants of spread, and control responses. Current opinion in infectious diseases 24, 50–55. & (
- 2010) Syphilis and social upheaval in China. New England Journal of Medicine 362, 1658–1661. , & (
- 2010) HIV/AIDS epidemic and the development of comprehensive surveillance system in China with challenges. Chinese medical journal 123, 3495–3500. & (
- 2009) Prevalence and predictors of HIV infection among female sex workers in Kaiyuan City, Yunnan Province, China. International journal of infectious diseases 13 162–169. , , et al. (
- 2011) Knowledge of HIV seropositivity is a predictor for initiation of illicit drug use: incidence of drug use initiation among female sex workers in a high HIV-prevalence area of China. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 117, 226–232. , , et al. (
- WHO, UNAIDS, Ministry of Health. (2011) A joint assessment report of HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment and care in China. Ministry of Health, Beijing, China.
- 2006) Gender, migration, risky sex, and HIV infection in China. Studies in Family Planning 37, 241–250. & (
- 2010) Primary syphilis cases in Guangdong Province 1995-2008: opportunities for linking syphilis control and regional development. BMC Public Health 10, 793. , , et al. (
- 2011) Syphilis test availability and uptake at medical facilities in southern China. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 89, 798–805. , , et al. (
- 2013) Rates of HIV, syphilis, and HCV infections among different demographic groups of female sex workers in Guangxi China: evidence from 2010 national sentinel surveillance data. AIDS Care. DOI:10.1080/09540121.2013.772282 (in press). , , et al. (