The policy of free healthcare for children under the age of 6 years in Vietnam: assessment of the uptake for children hospitalised with acute diarrhoea in Ho Chi Minh City
Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Tropical Medicine & International Health Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 12, pages 1444–1451, December 2013
How to Cite
Shieh, M., Thompson, C., Phan Vu Tra, M., Thi Thuy Linh, V., Tediosi, F., Merson, L., Farrar, J. J., Manh Tuan, H., Lu Viet, H., Thi Ngoc Tuyet, P. and Baker, S. (2013), The policy of free healthcare for children under the age of 6 years in Vietnam: assessment of the uptake for children hospitalised with acute diarrhoea in Ho Chi Minh City. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1444–1451. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12208
- Issue online: 18 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2013
- Novartis Vaccines Institute for Global Health (Italy)
- Wellcome Trust Vizions Initiative (UK)
- 2007) Drug use and health-seeking behavior for childhood illness in Vietnam–a qualitative study. Health Policy 82, 320–329. , , & (
- 2011) Rural and urban Vietnamese mothers utilization of healthcare resources for children under 6 years with pneumonia and associated symptoms. Journal of Behavioral Medicine 34, 254–267. , , , , & (
- 2009) Heatlh Financing and Delivery in Vietnam – Looking Forward. World Bank, Washington, DC. & (
- 2008) Reasserting the state in Viet Nam: healthcare and the logics of market-Leninism. Policy & Society 27, 115–128. (
- 2012) Causes and determinants of inequity in maternal and child health in Vietnam. BMC Public Health 12, 641. , & (
- 2013) Ethnic minority health in Vietnam: a review exposing horizontal inequity. Global Health Action 6, 1–19. , , , & (
- MOH/HPG (2010) Joint Annual Health Review (JAHR). Ministry of Health Vietnam and Health Partnership Group, Hanoi.
- 2013) Signalling, status and inequities in maternal healthcare use in Punjab, Pakistan. Social Science & Medicine 94, 98–105. , , & (
- 2012) The effects of free government health insurance among small children-evidence from the free care for children under six policy in Vietnam. The International Journal of Health Planning and Management 28, 3–15. & (
- 2011) Perspectives on child diarrhoea management and health service use among ethnic minority caregivers in Vietnam. BMC Public Health 11, 690. , , & (
- 2009) Who is giving up the free lunch? The insured patients' decision to access health insurance benefits and its determinants: evidence from a low-income country. Health Policy 92, 250–258. , & (
- 2011) Health-financing reforms in southeast Asia: challenges in achieving universal coverage. Lancet 377, 863–873. , , et al. (
- 2012) Epidemiological features and risk factors of Salmonella gastroenteritis in children resident in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Epidemiology and Infection 141, 1604–1613. , , et al. (
- 2006) Household out-of-pocket payments for illness: evidence from Vietnam. BMC Public Health 6, 283. , , , & (
- 2002) Pattern of Health Care Utilization in Vietnam: Anlaysis of 1997–98 Vietnam Living Standards Survey Data. World Bank Working Paper 2775. World Bank, Washington, DC. (
- UNICEF (2011) Social Health Insurance as a Means to Achieving Universal Coverage and More Equitable Health Outcomes. UNICEF, Hanoi.
- 2006) Effect of payments for health care on poverty estimates in 11 countries in Asia: an analysis of household survey data. Lancet 368, 1357–1364. , , et al. (
- 2007) Catastrophic payments for health care in Asia. Health Economics 16, 1159–1184. , , et al. (
- 2003) Catastrophe and impoverishment in paying for health care: with applications to Vietnam 1993–1998. Health Economics 12, 921–934. & (
- World Bank Vietnam Office (2011) Lessons for Hospital Autonomy Implementation in Vietnam from International Experience (Document 66014). Ministry of Health Department of Planning and Finance Health Strategy and Policy Institute and World Bank Vietnam Office, Hanoi.
- 2003) Household catastrophic health expenditure: a multicountry analysis. Lancet 362, 111–117. , , , , & (