Counselling on and women's awareness of pregnancy danger signs in selected rural health facilities in Burkina Faso, Ghana and Tanzania
Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 18, Issue 12, pages 1498–1509, December 2013
How to Cite
Duysburgh, E., Ye, M., Williams, A., Massawe, S., Sié, A., Williams, J., Mpembeni, R., Loukanova, S. and Temmerman, M. (2013), Counselling on and women's awareness of pregnancy danger signs in selected rural health facilities in Burkina Faso, Ghana and Tanzania. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 18: 1498–1509. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12214
- Issue online: 18 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2013
- 7th Framework Programme of the European Union is a collaboration between the Centre de Recherche en Santé de Nouna (Burkina Faso)
- Ghent University (Belgium)
- Heidelberg University (Germany)
- Karolinska Institute (Sweden)
- Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (Tanzania)
- Navrongo Health Research Centre (Ghana)
- 2012) How to know what you need to do': a cross-country comparison of maternal health guidelines in Burkina Faso, Ghana and Tanzania. Implement Science 7, 31. , , et al. (
- 2006) How much time do health services spend on antenatal care? Implications for the introduction of the focused antenatal care model in Tanzania BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 6, 22. , , , & (
- 2013) Quality of antenatal and childbirth care in selected rural health facilities in Burkina Faso, Ghana and Tanzania: similar finding. Tropical Medicine & International Health: TM & IH 18, 534–547. , , et al. (
- 2007) Individual or group antenatal education for childbirth or parenthood, or both. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 10, 1–64. & (
- Ghana Statistical Service (GSS), Ghana Health Service (GHS), & ICF Macro (2009b) Ghana Demographic and Health Survey 2008. GSS, GHS, and ICF Macro, Accra, Ghana.
- Ghana Statistical Service (GSS), Ghana Health Service (GHS), & Macro International (2009a) Ghana Maternal Health Survey 2007. GSS, GHS, and Macro international, Calverton, MD.
- Institut National de la Statistique et de la Démographie (INSD) et ICF International (2012) Enquête Démographique et de Santé et à Indicateurs Multiples du Burkina Faso 2010. INSD et ICF International, Calverton, MD.
- 2010) Antenatal counseling in maternal and newborn care: use of job aids to improve health worker performance and maternal understanding in Benin. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 10, 75. , , & (
- 2011) Knowledge of obstetric danger signs and birth preparedness practices among women in rural Uganda. Reproductive Health 8, 33. , , & (
- 2006) Outpatient process quality evaluation and the Hawthorne Effect. Social Science & Medicine 63, 2330–2340. & (
- 2011) Progress towards Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 on maternal and child mortality: an updated systematic analysis. Lancet 378, 1139–1165. , , et al. (
- 2011) How much time is available for antenatal care consultations? Assessment of the quality of care in rural Tanzania BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 11, 64. , , , , & (
- MoH (2006) Plan d'Acceleration de Reduction de la Mortalite Maternelle et Neonatale au Burkina Faso. Ministere de la Santé, Secretariat General, Direction Generale de la Santé, Direction de la Santé de la Famille, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
- MoHSW (2008) The National Road Map Strategic Plan to Accelerate Reduction of Maternal, Newborn and Child Deaths in Tanzania 2008–2015. MoHSW Tanzania. Ministry of Health and Social Welfare – United Republic of Tanzania, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) [Tanzania] and ICF Macro (2011) Tanzania Demographic and Health Survey 2010. NBS and ICF Macro, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- 2009) Providing information on pregnancy complications during antenatal visits: unmet educational needs in sub-Saharan Africa. Health Policy and Planning 24, 367–376. , & (
- 2011) Using audit to enhance quality of maternity care in resource limited countries: lessons learnt from rural Tanzania. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 11, 94. , , & (
- 2009) Rural Tanzanian women's awareness of danger signs of obstetric complications. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 9, 12. , , , , & (
- 2010) Quality of antenatal care in rural Tanzania: counselling on pregnancy danger signs. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 10, 35. , , , , & (
- Population Reference Bureau (PRB) (2011) 2011 World Population Data Sheet, 1875 Connecticut Ave., Population Reference Bureau, NW, Suite 520, Washington, DC.
- QUALMAT (2013) ‘QUALMAT website’, [online]. http://www.qualmat.net/ (accessed 15 April 2013).
- 2010) Quality of antenatal care in rural southern Tanzania: a reality check. BMC Research Notes 3, 209. , , et al. (
- UNICEF (2012) ‘Regional Statistics sub-Saharan Africa’, [online]. http://www.unicef.org/sowc06/pdfs/regional_stat_sum_s21_ssa.pdf (accessed 15 April 2013).
- WHO (2001) ‘Information, Education and Communication: Lessons from the Past; Perspectives for the Future’. WHO/RHR/01.22, Department of Reproductive Health and Research, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- WHO (2010) WHO Technical Consultation on Postpartum and Postnatal Care. WHO/MPS/10.03,Department of Making Pregnancy Safer, WHO Document Production Services, World Health Organisation, Geneva, Switzerland.
- WHO, UNFPA, UNICEF & World bank (2006) Pregnancy, Childbirth, Postpartum and Newborn Care: A Guide for Essential Practice. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA & World Bank (2012) Trends in Maternal Mortality: 1990 to 2010. WHO Press, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.