Measuring disparities in sanitation access: does the measure matter?
Version of Record online: 17 DEC 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 2–13, January 2014
How to Cite
Rheingans, R., Anderson, J. D., Luyendijk, R. and Cumming, O. (2014), Measuring disparities in sanitation access: does the measure matter?. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 2–13. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12220
- Issue online: 17 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 17 DEC 2013
- SHARE Research Consortium
- UK Department for International Development (DFID)
- 2008) Using an asset index to assess trends in poverty in seven Sub-Saharan African countries. World Development 36, 1113–1130. , , , & (
- 2009) The global burden of childhood diarrhea. In: Maternal and Child Health (ed. J Ehiri) Springer US, Boston, MA, pp. 225–243. , & (
- 2001) Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data - or tears: an application to educational enrollments in states of India. Demography 38, 115–132. & (
- 2003) Measuring health inequality among children in developing countries: does the choice of the indicator of economic status matter? International Journal for Equity in Health 2, 8. , & (
- MEASURE DHS, ICF International (2012) Demographic and Health Surveys. http://www.measuredhs.com
- 1996) Income, inequality and poverty during the transition: a survey of the evidence. MOCT-MOST Economic Policy in Transitional Economies 6, 131–147. (
- 2008a) Measurement of Living Standards. Analyzing Health Equity Using Household Survey Data: A Guide to Techniques and Their Implementation. The World Bank, Washington, DC. , , & (
- 2008b) Concentration Index. Analyzing Health Equity Using Household Survey Data: A Guide to Techniques and Their Implementation. The World Bank, Washington, DC. , , & (
- 2012) Estimating Inequities in Sanitation-Related Disease Burden and Estimating the Potential Impacts of Pro-Poor Targeting. SHARE: Sanitation and Hygiene Applied Research for Equity, London. , , & (
- 2004) The DHS Wealth Index. ORC Macro, Calverton, MD. & (
- 2003) Exploring alternative measures of welfare in the absence of expenditure data. Review of Income and Wealth 49, 463–489. & (
- StataCorp (2011) Stata Statistical Software: Release 12. StataCorp LP, College Station, TX.
- UNICEF (2009–2011) Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys, Round 4.
- UNICEF (2010) Progress for Children: Achieving MDGs with Equity. UNICEF. Report No.: 978-92-806-4537-8, New York, NY.
- United Nations (2013) A New Global Partnership: Eradicate Poverty and Transform Economies Through Sustainable Development. United Nations Publications, New York, NY.
- 2009) The MDG Conundrum: meeting the targets without missing the point. Development Policy Review 27, 355–371. (
- 2010) Taking the MDGs beyond 2015: hasten slowly. IDS Bulletin 41, 60–69. & (
- WHO, UNICEF (2012a) Progress on Drinking Water and Sanitation: 2012 Update: WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation.
- WHO, UNICEF (2012b) JMP Working Group on Equity and Non-Discrimination Final Report: WHO / UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme (JMP) for Water Supply and Sanitation.
- WHO, UNICEF (2013a) Progress on Sanitation and Drinking-Water: 2013 Update: WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation (JMP).
- WHO, UNICEF (2013b) Second Consultation on Post-2015 Monitoring of Drinking-Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. Microsoft Word Document: WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation (JMP).
- 2013) Water safety and inequality in access to drinking-water between rich and poor households. Environmental Science & Technology 47, 1222–1230. , , , , & (